Any single player games like HL?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Any single player games like HL?

Post by sigma »

I will surely play in Bioshock Infinite when I will be able to play in it free of charge

yes, you are right, I love the STALKER not least because of "our" nature and our weapon. In it in general all "ours". And me very much a related topic of the thrown objects, the cities and settlements. We have in the country their tens of thousands. (On a photo the thrown mine of the intercontinental rocket)

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, the darkness and ruination in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is really creepy. I usually don't like to play it at night. When things jump out of that deep darkness and bite...EEEEEEEEEEK! Kind of like those head crabs falling on your head in the dark duct work in Half Life. Usually makes me jump out of my seat every time!

I saw a show on the city Pripyat and how it looks now. Depressing. Things are just lying around like everyone dropped everything where they stood and fled in a big hurry. It's all rotted, decaying and overgrown, almost haunted. Just what an apocalypse would look like if it where to hit anywhere.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Yes, I looked Bioshock Infinite. Cool. Very good graphics. But she's not one of those games that I like. But I am VERY pleased with the ARMAIII alpha
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

So it turns out there is going to be a stand alone expansion pack to Far Cry 3 called "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon", with about 8 hours of hilarious and awesome cybernetic enhanced gameplay (or at least hilarious and awesome for anyone who remembers 80s post-apocalyptic scifi movies).

[youtube]izcQj2GxHm8[/youtube]

http://fc3blooddragon.us.ubi.com/

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

There better be Dino-Riders!!!
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CDN_Merlin, I just had to bring this oldie thread back up because I found a fantastic PC game. It's called Dishonored. You get play an assassin with all sorts of powers and your world is a cool steam punk cityscape. So far, I really like the short teleport ability your character gets to use after you get into the game further. Real handy to suddenly flank an opponent. I'm only part way in, but I get drawn in every time.

This game is from last year, so you should be able to get it real cheap. It's a steam game and although it works great, has a couple of quirks. If you want full AA and own an Nvidia card, you have to run Nividia Inspector. The settings can be found in the steam forums. Otherwise, the jaggies don't go away. There is also a problem if your version of PhysX is newer than the one that comes with the game. You get an msi install error every time you start the game, although it still loads just fine anyway. There is a simple registry edit that tricked steam and solved the problem for me. Of course, if you have an ATI card, never mind. Other than that, the game is really engrossing and I highly recommend it. :)
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I got Rage and like it so far. I will check out Dishnored.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It's kind of along the lines of Deus Ex and the Bioshock series, with your character having powers and abilities. You can also choose whether to kill your way through or sneak around like a ghost and not be detected. I guess the ending differs on whether you kill or not. I actually like it better than Bioshock Infinite right now. Teleporting short distances is cool and the sword melees work well, but I'm only a little way into the game.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

I haven't tried many games, only HL2, Halo, Unreal and FEAR. First three pretty much sucked; one fight against the same animation again and again. FEAR is awesome; have some of the best AI I have ever seen. They flank you, take cover, attack you, etc. Makes one feel like one play against humans every now and then.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." -Thomas Sowell
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm surprised you haven't tried the Far Cry series LEON. All three were pretty good and playing with fire is really fun, but the endings of the last 2 really sucked. I think these game developers need a course in story writing. :roll:

I'm still sneaking around in Dishonored trying to not touch or kill NCP's or even get noticed by anyone. I'm going for pure "ghost", but it's been difficult. Sometimes you just have to at least knock someone out to get around them to get the job done.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

The reason is simple; I'm really not a gamer :P I have heard about Far Cry though, but have not looked into it. Only game I have really been into is Descent 3.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." -Thomas Sowell
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, Descent 3 wins the cake for horrible storytelling. Except the cake is a lie...
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, but Descent 2 left you wondering were you had ended up in the universe after all that robot killing got done. Personally, I liked D2 much better than D3.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Likewise :mrgreen:
Though Unreal's SP probably is more interesting to me than the Descent games after all these years. D3 shook it up a bit but I was too busy being annoyed by robots that were vaguely like trying to pick up a goldfish with a stick...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Sirius wrote:D3 shook it up a bit but I was too busy being annoyed by robots that were vaguely like trying to pick up a goldfish with a stick...
LOL! That's EXACTLY right! Imagine a MOD that gives all robots shields just like the ships on multiplayer have.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

At least D3 made an attempt at a story, however awkwardly-executed. I was more than sick to death of finding keys and blowing up reactors. :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Oh yeah. With you on that one.

If you had D3-style objectives combined with D1-style combat/robot mechanics, you'd have a pretty cool campaign.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I liked Mercenary's objectives a lot better than Retribution's honestly -- and not just because they usually ended with blowing up the level somehow XD. Although that is part of it. The stealth sections were fun too.
Actually I think Mercenary was probably the better campaign. Pity it was so short.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

I didn't like Mercenary at all. Felt like a psychedelic acid trip :o