RetroChallengeGamer, New LP'r on the Market!

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: RetroChallengeGamer, New LP'r on the Market!

Post by Alter-Fox »

I never played cautiously to begin with. Well I tried once, years ago, but it wasn't any fun.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Avder wrote:Anyway, the reason I know I flew that good is whenever I would do one of these all-night sessions, I would demo it. Every so often I would watch part of them and in the later levels I would always wonder "who the hell is this guy and how the hell did he do that?".
It sounds like you're a much better pilot than you think you are and when you're not thinking about how good you aren't, you take risks you wouldn't normally take. I'd bet you could match it in a non-sleepwalking state if you actually tried to play more agressively.
I know I could. That's what I've been doing while trying to go rambo on every level in D1 and a lot of what I've done is surprisingly effective. And I tried it competitively way back when Kali still had regular random FFA games of Descent going. Learned how to put my mind on autopilot almost at will while playing and it made me pretty good at times, but I was too competitive and I got frustrated. *shrug* Oh well, too late now, really.
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RetroChallengeGamer »

I've completed level 27 tonight. I have the entire series recorded. I have an obligation to finish the current series first (it'll be a few weeks at minimum), but once done, this will be the next video series going up. Let's just say that I HATE Fusion Hulks. Level 26 was fine up until one point. And level 27 overall was a disaster. Talk about eating extra lives like candy!
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Try playing on Ace or Insane, you'll hate missile-launching robots more. Trust me. :lol:

I've played First Strike 1298731287 times through, but the terms of the challenge sounded interesting so I'll probably end up watching it anyway. Should be entertaining in some way, shape or form... :P
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I chose Hotshot difficulty, because I am NOT the best player around. I will not be performing feats and miracles with these games unless by pure dumb luck + skill. So I figured Hotshot is the highest skill that I, personally, can reasonably accomplish this challenge. But anyone is free to tackle the challenge anyway!

Rules:
No Plasma, Fusion, Smart Missiles or Mega Missiles. Shareware arsenal only.
No picking up death spew unless absolutely necessary to get through a corridor. (sometimes a lot of white carding here, but try your best!)
No invuls, but cloaks are okay.
Secondary objective: Have all hostages survive. (not part of the primary challenge, but hey!)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I looks forward to seeing it.

My only challenge for WDWPD2TVSOA! was the opposite of your last one. I have to rescue the hostages as soon as I see their cell door no matter how badly I'm doing. I chose it because it would increase the suspense (since I'm not getting full rescue bonus every level, the number of lives I have is much lower than it would normally be, and it's a number that could conceivably run out at any time) and because it would add some funny moments where I'm, say, dogfighting in a huge room with a hostage cell door on one wall and being ridiculously careful not to look at the door during the fight...
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I can see how that type of challenge would be pretty hair raising. In that case. I would have to change my challenge score I gave the game !
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I have the first two videos up of the Descent 1 challenge Let's Play:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... dbwRScTTrM
I will be uploading level 3 tomorrow. I tend to follow a strict 'every other day' uploading schedule. It works well with my real life work week and doesn't cause undue stress on me. So yes, this will be almost two months worth of uploads for just one playlist, but it relieves the tension in trying to 'get it done' on time for viewers. Enjoy the vids!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Oh, looks like I missed the discussion about Secret Level 3. Damn, not only is that the hardest level of Descent 1, it also shows off all of the robots (if memory serves) and has the coolest level design of them all too. You'd see much of those ideas in Descent 2 later.

And yeah, to say this level is tough is a grave understatement.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Yes, I went through secret level 3 and you'll be seeing that video in a month's time or so (keeping up with my once every other day schedule).
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Doing a surprise Blind rush LP of Megaman Unlimited! Go check it out as well! Starting Wily stages next!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Xfing wrote:Oh, looks like I missed the discussion about Secret Level 3. Damn, not only is that the hardest level of Descent 1, it also shows off all of the robots (if memory serves) and has the coolest level design of them all too. You'd see much of those ideas in Descent 2 later.

I think it shows all the robots. Although I don't remember seeing any gophers. Or mine-droppers at all, so they might not be there.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Xfing wrote:Oh, looks like I missed the discussion about Secret Level 3. Damn, not only is that the hardest level of Descent 1, it also shows off all of the robots (if memory serves) and has the coolest level design of them all too. You'd see much of those ideas in Descent 2 later.

I think it shows all the robots. Although I don't remember seeing any gophers. Or mine-droppers at all, so they might not be there.
We have the means to check this, quite easily too ^^

[searching]

Yup, apparently you were right about this one. No gophers.

These robots are great at what they do. Maybe not as fast as those modified Omegas from D2, but they can open doors and are very resilient. Which gives them an advantage IMO. Customize one to lay smart mines and you've got one threatening bugger.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Gophers can open doors? Huh...i guess I just kill them too fast before I notice any of em doing that.
Star Man Aevum
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Star Man Aevum »

hay guyz m i doin this rite?

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I watched a few episodes of that lets play a while back. To be honest I found that your commentary, while entertaining, went all over the place and didnt really talk about the game that much, so it made it hard to actually focus on the gameplay.
Star Man Aevum
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Star Man Aevum »

You must have missed the part where we lamented over the fact that there's so little to talk about. You shoot robots, pick up hostages, blow up the reactor, and leave. Sometimes, there are trap doors. And sometimes, there's a sea shanty.

Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Star Man Aevum wrote:You must have missed the part where we lamented over the fact that there's so little to talk about. You shoot robots, pick up hostages, blow up the reactor, and leave. Sometimes, there are trap doors. And sometimes, there's a sea shanty.

I forget, were you playing that on rookie or hot shot? And did you allow yourself to die on camera?
RetroChallengeGamer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

You are right, there is sometimes very little to talk about in the game. After about 10+ levels in, you kind of run out of things to talk about. A few levels are notable exceptions, being topic discussions in themselves, but beyond that....yeah. lol
Star Man Aevum
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Star Man Aevum »

Avder wrote:
I forget, were you playing that on rookie or hot shot? And did you allow yourself to die on camera?
I got better.

Also, nice YouTube avatar.