How to place the D1 reactor in a D2 level?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

How to place the D1 reactor in a D2 level?

Post by Xfing »

It seems impossible, which I find weird. The D1 reactor is present in Descent2.HAM, yet I can't seem to be able to choose it from the reactor list in a D2 level. I'm working on converting my D1 level to D2 for maximum similarity, using the GROUPA palette. I'd like the D1 reactor present for increased similarity to D1. Can it be done via a HXM or something like that?
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: How to place the D1 reactor in a D2 level?

Post by ThugsRook »

you know, hundreds have been down this road youre about to travel.
none have returned ;)

i have D1 reactors in my D1-D2 conversion, but those were converted using the original Devil editor a long time ago. not sure what can do it these days, DMB2 couldnt.

:)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Well, the reactor's pretty much the only thing left to do, everything else's already identical to D1.

Oh, and the exit sequences, but those are absent from D2 completely :P

The reactor, on the other hand, is not. It has all the files it needs within descent.ham. Do you think this could be suggested to Diedel via ticket?
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

if the editor (DLE-XP?) cant insert D1 reactors, i would most certainly request it.

check the D2 DEMO for exit sequences, they should be able work.
D2XR can do exit sequences when playing D1's HOG/PIG.

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

ThugsRook wrote:if the editor (DLE-XP?) cant insert D1 reactors, i would most certainly request it.

check the D2 DEMO for exit sequences, they should be able work.
D2XR can do exit sequences when playing D1's HOG/PIG.

Well yeah, that's true. But as AFAIK D2 Interactive Demo's data structure still has much left over from Descent 1, hence the scripted exit sequences. There aren't even any available for D2, except for those Zeta Aquilae ones obviously. Even if it was possible, having a say, Saturnian exit sequence for Quartzon would be a no-no :P

Sooo what do you think, should the reactor request be made via ticket or on the DXX-XL forum? It's not a bug per se, it's just an absent feature.
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

^ since DMB2 couldnt do D1 reactors, id say it would be a feature request not a bug.

then again... a GOOD d1 to d2 texture conversion would be nice too! ;)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

ThugsRook wrote:^ since DMB2 couldnt do D1 reactors, id say it would be a feature request not a bug.

Yeah, that one I have already posted a ticket about. Still, Diedel has already done a good job with it, as one version of DLE used to screw up the colors beyond recognition, worse than using a 16 color palette, even. But now that's done. As for the quality of the D1 textures themselves, not much will change until Pumo's done with his custom PIG with the D1 palette. I know I mention this a lot, but I'm probably the single most excited person for that file, apart from Pumo himself :P
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

This is strange.
Because as far as I can remember there's been an option in DLE to choose reactor ID 0, and it gives you the D1 reactor. I can't say about DMB2 because I only started mapping in the time of DLE. I checked in the latest DLE version though and it's gone.

Very strange. Especially because I've seen high-profile D2 missions that used reactor ID 0, like Phobos Encounter (secret level 2). And yes I checked that in the editor.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Xfing wrote:
ThugsRook wrote:^ since DMB2 couldnt do D1 reactors, id say it would be a feature request not a bug.

Yeah, that one I have already posted a ticket about. Still, Diedel has already done a good job with it, as one version of DLE used to screw up the colors beyond recognition, worse than using a 16 color palette, even. But now that's done. As for the quality of the D1 textures themselves, not much will change until Pumo's done with his custom PIG with the D1 palette. I know I mention this a lot, but I'm probably the single most excited person for that file, apart from Pumo himself :P
Well, it was probably removed inadvertently sometime. Anyway, it's on its way back now :D
ThugsRook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ThugsRook »

^ in that case you could use an older version to get your reactors done.
Omicron
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Omicron »

The way I always accomplished this in DMB2 was creating a Descent 1 level, spawning the reactor, then converting it to a Descent 2 level. It kept the reactor but was a pain if you already had a level and did not want to redo it.

I would imagine that this issue was solved by now as that was over a decade ago when I was rocking a 400Mhz Celeron desktop...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yeah, now on latest versions of DLE-XP (DMB2 succesor) is possible to put a D1 reactor on a D2 level without problem, and precisely, thanks to Xfing that made a feature request for that. ;)

However, on Devil (since the old 90's days) was always possible to put a D1 reactor on D2 without any issues.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah. Initially there was en error where the D1 reactor was always super dark, regardless of cube lighting. But I believe it's been already taken care of.