What am I doing wrong?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Beeb
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

What am I doing wrong?

Post by Beeb »

I installed D1X rebirth many years ago, and enjoyed playing it so much, I even made a donation to Zico. I have since reinstalled Win XP on the same machine, with the same hardware, but the game is way too choppy to even play. I have a 3DFX Voodoo 5, with microsoft drivers. Do I need new drivers for this card? The game played so smooth on this same machine before but I just cannot figure out what is wrong this time. I tried Amergamelin (sp?) drivers and it totally hosed the machine and I had to roll back the driver. Any help would be appreciated !!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by Sirius »

Either Rebirth is less efficient than it used to be (sort of doubt), or you do need some drivers for that. Might have to try other third-party drivers for it if the first one didn't work.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Off to Tech Forum? and I recommend Zico's forums for more complete help. :)

3DFX drivers on XP are going to be iffy at best. As the rebirth does texture blending fine by itself, I recommend a more modern vid card; even something 5 years old.

Otherwise, double check with the Rebirth guys. They know their "voodoo" pretty well. :)

Cheers.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I don't think 3DFX does OGL good, so if the Amigamerlin drivers don't work, you need another VC.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

"Microsoft drivers" for the voodoo 5 are the likely cause of the problem. As long as it can display the windows desktop properly Microsoft doesn't care about anything else, gaming/opengl performance included, get a better set of drivers and it should help. Otherwise even a dirt cheap $40-60 modern nVidia Geforce or AMD Radeon card should outperform a voodoo 5 in pretty much everything.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Be carefull installing those new drivers....

--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Heh, I remember one ancient Gateway 2000 we had whose floppy drive was so spring-loaded that it would shoot the disk out onto the floor.