The monthly "it's official, interplay is dead" thr

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

The monthly "it's official, interplay is dead" thr

Post by Tetrad »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7028
According to a source of ours all the employees was contacted by the IT director at IPLY today and asked to pick up their personal effects.

The Property management company is shutting the doors effective 5pm for lack of payment..

So Basicly IPLY doesn't have a home now or is shutting down for good!?

Update: We've got more on this whole tale, it seems that Human Resources told the employees to file for unemployment, Herve and Eric are no where to be found.....

All employees are in the progress of gathering their belongings, since the offices are being closed at 5pm. They were also told that they would be advised in the "future" what was being done......
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Let the owned pics commence!
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

JMEaT wrote:Let the owned pics commence!
Uh, sure!

That really is too bad, though.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It's not that bad, if it means Parallax can get the rights to make more Descent games (watch me get flamed for this.) From what I understand, Interplay still holds a share of the rights -- but if they go under, that might make it possible for Parallax to make the game on their own. Not that they necessarily will, but at least it means they wouldn't have to fight with Interplay to do it.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

JMEaT wrote:Let the owned pics commence!
Okie dokie! Look at me go!! I"M DOING IT!!!

Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Image Image Image
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

This is old news man.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, Sunch, while we've known for a while they were behind on their lease, yesterday was the final nail in the coffin. :)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

We knew a month ago that they were evicted from their building.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

wow, evicted ehhh

i wonder how many puters and ★■◆● were scrunged through.

YARD SALE!!! EVERYTHING FREE!!

ROTFLMAO!! @ Stress and the Shaving Creme/Banana/Cig's pic
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

No, Sunch, they were given 30 days notice a month ago.

1 month = 30 days. They were evicted yesterday.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

oh ok
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Its sad that they are going, but good riddance to bad companies.

Unfortunately it seems that Eidos is following the same path Interplay took.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

That's cause the last to "big" titles they put out blew chunks (*cough* Tomb Raider & DE2 *cough*)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Lothar wrote:It's not that bad, if it means Parallax can get the rights to make more Descent games (watch me get flamed for this.) From what I understand, Interplay still holds a share of the rights -- but if they go under, that might make it possible for Parallax to make the game on their own. Not that they necessarily will, but at least it means they wouldn't have to fight with Interplay to do it.
I still think that if Volition really wanted to do Descent 4, they could have gotten away with it under a different title. They chose not to for other reasons - the first and foremost probably being that the gaming world just isn't ready for 360 degree gameplay.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

all about money, descent just isn't a pot of gold.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Oh no its another "Descent 4 is coming back" thread :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The only thing is yuu, is that being a part of thq now, it could very well be a console game. :\
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Duper wrote:it could very well be a console game. :\
yeah and console games sell better than PC
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

[UPDATE] Early Wednesday, the voicemail system at Titus' American offices ceased to function. An early follow-up call to Interplay's offices got an actual person on the line for the first time in over a month. When asked if Interplay was going out of business, the person said, "No, that's not true," but refused to elaborate. When asked if she was an employee of Interplay, the person said, "I'd rather not say," and promptly transferred the call to Herve Caen's personal mailbox. Caen had not responded to the voicemail as of press time, and several subsequent calls to Interplay's main line were met with a busy signal. As of 1pm Wednesday, the line was still busy.

However, even if the reports of Interplay's demise are greatly exaggerated, the company faces a rough road ahead. Besides its rental woes, the company is facing a battery of lawsuits, including one by Arden Realty for $432,000 in back rent and another by BioWare for $156,000 for unpaid Baldur's Gate royalties. During its financial report in mid-April, Interplay declared it had only $1.2 million in cash on hand.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3 ... 99678.html
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Here's an interesting read on the subject from a founder

Post by CritterB »

I found this interesing and informative. Interplay had no money and I'm sure it's the reason for the lack of pr when d3 came out. I knew many, many people (gamers included) who had no idea a $50,000 tourney was going on, much less that it was for Descent.

http://burgerbill.livejournal.com/2004/06/03/
MD1075
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Interplay offices closed by state officials

Post by MD1075 »

The Orange County Register reports that California labor investigators have shut down the publisher -- something CEO Herve Caen disputes.

Less than a day after CEO Herve Caen said Interplay was "still here," the publisher has apparently been shut down by the State of California. The Orange County Register's Tamara Chuang reported late Friday that California's Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement forced the Irvine, CA-based developer-publisher of Fallout to suspend operations.

The closure followed a snap inspection of Interplay's offices by investigators, who found the company was without workersâ?? compensation insurance and had not paid employees. According to officials, there were 14 staffers on-site Friday during the inspection, and 79 still on Interplay's payroll--down nearly 40 since their mid-April financial statements.

The labor officials' visitation was prompted by complaints by seven Interplay workers who claimed their wages had gone unpaid. Dean Fryer, spokesman for the California Labor Commissioner, told the Register, "An employer has responsibilities when they open a business. The responsibilities include proper and timely payment of wages. It includes providing workers compensation coverage in case there are injuries. If the employer cannot accommodate those basic issues of doing business, we cannot allow employees to work."

As a penalty for its infractions, Interplay was fined $1,000 for each employee on the payroll for a total of $79,000. This sum is in addition to the $179,000 it already owes the state in back taxes and the $432,000 in unpaid rent it owes its landlord, Arden Realty, who is reportedly on the verge of evicting the company. In addition, it is being sued for $156,000 in back Baldur's Gate royalties by BioWare. As of part of its mid-April financial statements, Interplay declared it only had $1.2 million in cash on hand.

Despite the increasingly daunting scale of Interplay's difficulties, Caen brushed them off. "I hope to have that [insurance] back by Monday or Tuesday," he told the Register optimistically. Caen also had the esprit to question the semantics of Chuang's article. "The company has not shut down. [The state] canâ??t do that. It can only let me not let employees work," he said.

In addition to breaking the closure news, Chuang also confirmed that Interplay employees had not been paid for over a month, had no health insurance, and had been told to remove their belongings from the building due to a looming lockout by Arden.

Still, some of the Interplay staffers at the office on Friday held out a more genuine sense of hope than their employer. "The reason I stick around is that Iâ??m a diehard loyalist and I love the people I work with," IS manager Steve Jobes told the Register. "If there is any sliver of hope that Interplay may someday turn around I want to be there to see it."

Source -- http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/04 ... 00019.html