It's official. The ACA has completely screwed us.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: It's official. The ACA has completely screwed us.

Post by Spidey »

The store I just bought my breakfast from made a profit, I wonder what food would cost if it were covered by insurance.

You can get wealthy without raping people.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'll be happy when there's coin operated MRI machines! :P
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Back to the ACA. It seems there is some way to add credits throughout the year and earn money. Kinda feels like an extra job so that some other sonofagun doesn't have to work at all. I've been down 5 years and still refuse disability so I can say this. I have no problem supporting someone weak and unable to do so themselves. If your able bodied and you won't work, I'd let you starve until you begged for food. Ask my children.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:Back to the ACA. It seems there is some way to add credits throughout the year and earn money. Kinda feels like an extra job so that some other sonofagun doesn't have to work at all. I've been down 5 years and still refuse disability so I can say this. I have no problem supporting someone weak and unable to do so themselves. If your able bodied and you won't work, I'd let you starve until you begged for food. Ask my children.
tell me about the 'everybody following God's word' part, again. Let's focus a bit closer to home, Flip...... :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah at this point I'm gonna defer to Woodchip and Spidey :P

EDIT: I can't help but say this, but anyone who actually knew anything about it...hint..hint...healthcare, wouldn't say that. So we can't have that conversation yet. Instead I'll tell you a story about how man was so hateful and violent, that God sent them 10 little Commandments to follow. Try to establish some kind of order. Even then, they couldn't keep those simple 10 Commandments, so He starts putting burden upon burden on them. Condemns me and you right along with them. Then, He sends His Son to die in our place so now we walk around with the eye of the tiger in the spirit of God's law which is to love Him and our neighbors. When you figure that out, you'll already know everything else.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

oh, I think I've figured it out, Flip.....at least to the extent where I am fully convinced that the Son he sent would have slapped you silly if you
uttered the phrases I quoted from you in front of Him.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Again, the Jesus that is Lord and the Jesus you think you know.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

and the Jesus that does valet parking at the racetrack and the Jesus that is in line at a food bank trying to keep his family fed, and so on.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:Slick there is a better plan, one that showed conclusively that it works. I believe Fla was an example where the Govt. only allowed a few health insurers in to do business. As a result the premiums were high. At some point Fla decided to let a lot more insurers in and guess what? Premiums went down dramatically. Doesn't take rocket science slick. Just let more competition into the market and perhaps things will get better. Instead of our govt. telling us we can't buy our drugs in Canada because they are cheaper, perhaps they should be allowing us to buy where the market is indeed more competitive.
Pharmaceutical example is terrible, Woody. First off, Canadian pharmacies are subsidized by their government, second, US pharmacy prices are inflated not due to competition, but due to Big Pharma lobbies getting extra research dollars out of our set prices.
Ah, so now you are a backer of big profits for so CEO's can have rich salaries and perks.. How facile. Pharmeceuticals is a prime reason why the AHC is a dumb idea. The clarion cry for those supporting AHC was because all of the people who could not afford health insurance, yet one of the reasons for the high cost was the high cost of medicine. Preventing people from buying out of country is called "Protectionism" and is not conducive to a world economy. You excuse this but have no problem with all those millions of other items being manufactured out of our country to the detriment of all our lost jobs.

callmeslick wrote:Oh, and it is no accident, whatsoever, that Florida had the highest per-capita number of cancelled substandard policies. Their prices dropped less due to competition than what they did to get all those insurers to participate. They allowed licensure for companies selling dirt cheap coverage that amounted to essentially NO COVERAGE. In other words, they allowed their citizens to get fleeced. Very responsible governance........yeesh!
Really? And you have the facts to back this up. Weren't you also saying my health insurance was a trash policy because it didn't have maternity coverage and birth control in it even though I'm single?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hmmm. Single payer may not be dead, thanks to the ACA and Section 1332. Vermont is leading the way. But will it work? Might be an interesting experiment for one or several states. Our exchange is so dead, Oregon might just try it too.

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2014/january/s ... s-not-dead

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002888869
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Wasn't Florida's state retirement plans tied up somehow in the insurance companies? I know that ended up a fiasco but I'm not clear on the details. I can't imagine if their retirement program was such a mess that their insurance implementation was much better.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Was everyone as amazed as I was when woodchip said he was single? I figured he be fighting off dem bitches!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Being single doesnt mean he isn't
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

Touche
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CobGobbler wrote:Was everyone as amazed as I was when woodchip said he was single? I figured he be fighting off dem bitches!
After 2 divorces and at age 65, the last thing I want is "Dem Bitches".
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

So apparently Aetna say Obamacare sign ups of new patients has been so poor that they will probably have to triple its rates or pull out of the plan entirely
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:So apparently Aetna say Obamacare sign ups of new patients has been so poor that they will probably have to triple its rates or pull out of the plan entirely
links? Also, Aetna has avoided the exchanges altogether. They tried to give me a quote for the same(essentially) policy that Highmark Blue Cross offered me on the exchage. Aetna was $400 per month more expensive. Let's face it, some companies(especially Aetna and Cigna) want a really high profit margin. Let them suck wind.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

But, I thought profits were now capped.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:But, I thought profits were now capped.
not at all. Read the law(you all should try this sometime.....I realize fortitude is required, and trying to remember where you read what is tough too). There is a cap on annual price hikes for comparable plans, but even that can be overcome via arbitration hearing. Profit margins are not mentioned. It is such a shame that co-ops and other public options were not allowed or encouraged in the initial version of the ACA. I have a guess that if the law is worked upon to better(not kill) it, there will be something done to address that. Those co-ops and public options would keep a lid on profit margins through sheer competition.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Funny...
callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:For anyone who believes that using the ER for primary care is going to stop…I have a bridge for sale.

Also the shift from direct reimbursement to paying for care thru insurance is going to cost more for the simple fact that paying for care thru insurance has a built in profit margin.
first off, the number presenting to ERs will drop, because of the mandatory insurance. The covered persons will owe the ER for the tab, and thus will not be inclined to use the ER when covered options are available. Second, the nonsense about insurance coverage costing more is just that, nonsense. Part of the act is to put profit margin caps on the insurers, and frankly, the insurers are far tougher negotiators of rates than private individuals ever would be. And, finally, to address this dreadful(estimated) $80 billion in taxation, the offset is far more than that in government spending that currently goes to prop up ERs around the nation. My comments re: Tax definition, of what are clearly Fees, and Justice Roberts is this. The argument was made thusly(and I agree it is specious, they are not Taxes) to appease Justice Roberts. The so-called 'Liberal' justices would have been just fine with any definition of the ACA. However, Roberts used the Taxation issue as his means of justification for letting the law stand.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

right quote.....what I was saying is that the Act, if it works properly, should cap profit margin increases from year to year. As I said, doesn't do anything to the EXISTING baseline profit margin.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »