The New McCarthyism

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

The New McCarthyism

Post by woodchip »

We all have knowledge of the witch hunts Senator Joe McCarthy had for suspected communist and we all were rightly repulsed by it. It seems we have a new McCarthy rearing his ugly head in the form of New York States Gov. Cuomo. Replace communists with with conservatives and you can see history repeating itself. Cuomo said:

"Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves," he said. "Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are."

So what's next Guv? Getting the state police to start hunting down these damn conservatives and showing them where the state line is? Or have you thought to contact your state advertising agency who is putting out ads for businesses to move to New York and operate tax free for 10 years? Tell me Guv, should the ads read, "Only liberal businesses need apply"?

The bigger question here is, have we become so polarized politically that we will now see State become defacto areas of single political party enclaves? Or is Gov. Cuomo really as big a idiot as he appears to be?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: The New McCarthyism

Post by callmeslick »

you want to see modern-day McCarthyism in practice, Woody? Take a good, hard look at the hearings from Rep Issa of California. He sets the topic, and the point of view on the topic, and allows NO dissenting voices at hearings. Then, he presents complete fabrications into the record. He does this several times monthly. THERE, my man, is your modern McCarthyism. Witch hunts pure and simple. Not this claptrap you cite....... :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Awww slickster, Issa is no different than Harry Reid when it comes to controlling items. Unless you have some sort of proof of your assertions, kindly link them or leave the posting on this topic to the big boys. Issa no way compares to Cuomo as far as telling the general public what he wants in his state so stop trying to do mindless deflections.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Awww slickster, Issa is no different than Harry Reid when it comes to controlling items.
I defy you, or anyone, to watch CSPAN for a month, and come to this conclusion. Harry Reid cannot control his hair on a windy day, for crying out loud! Quite a bit of local press about Issa's recent dog and pony road-show. That's the best read. A google search on Issa Healthcare Hearings will turn up lots, most of it partisan to some degree. Dig out the local reporting. What Cuomo is supposed to be doing or saying is NOTHING.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Your job to provide links to your assertions. If you think Cuomo's rant is nothing just wait until a Republican Gov. gets elected in your home state and tells you he wants you and your liberal buddies to get the hell out. Perhaps your view will change a bit.
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

You didn't provide any links either jackass
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:The bigger question here is, have we become so polarized politically that we will now see State become defacto areas of single political party enclaves?
hasn't that sort of been part of the ebb and flow of American politics? Remember the 'Solid South'? When you suggest possible roundups of political opponents, now THAT is sort of farfetched and certainly can't be inferred from Cuomo's remarks.

oh, and nice links, yourself. I found it easy to google the quote and confirm. You should try it, it will work for anyone.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CobGobbler wrote:You didn't provide any links either jackass
Trolling again? There is a difference between a direct quote that has been all over the news and a general assertion with no back up. Even a low information person like yourself ought to know the difference.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

CobGobbler wrote:You didn't provide any links either jackass
I don't care about this thread but I just want to point out something. The Internet and HTTP gave rise to the World Wide Web. The beauty of this system is the novel application of "hypertext." It makes the World Wide Web a web of information. While many people have their own personal sites (bloggers) and others use tools like facebook for general chat, when using the WWW for serious, elevated discussion it is best to provide as many links as possible. Why? Because this provides the reader with the ability to see your train of thought and better understand you and where you come from. It is also a good way to let others check your argument for errors. It is a good thing when other's can point out your mistakes because this helps everyone find better answers to the hardest questions.

That is all I have to say. Carry on with the low-brow mudslinging.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well in Woody’s defense I have to point out that the quote was public info and very easy to look up…as I did.

Unable to come to slicks defense because he posted an “opinion” which I was not able to confirm, after using many different word combinations on my search.

The only way slick would be able to post all of these links you want is to link up to “opinion” sites, and we all know how that goes….
CobGobbler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CobGobbler »

No one reads them vision. I've seen these same people on this board for over a decade, no opinion has ever changed, regardless of the information presented. The line between fact and opinion is completely blurred.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

CobGobbler wrote:No one reads them vision. I've seen these same people on this board for over a decade, no opinion has ever changed, regardless of the information presented. The line between fact and opinion is completely blurred.
Yeah... It's just a pet peeve of mine. Too much time spent in academia I guess. I'm all like, "research, write, cite, repeat."
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

CobGobbler wrote:No one reads them vision. I've seen these same people on this board for over a decade, no opinion has ever changed, regardless of the information presented. The line between fact and opinion is completely blurred.
And stupid ass troll reply's helps clear up the blurring. Of course I can say you haven't contributed much here over the last ten years either.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

At least some people are honest enough to state their opinions as such.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

"oh no, the poor poor conservatives are being attacked again, woe is us!"

oh give it up already woody. tired of seeing this crap all the time here. It's like watching a bad re-run of a bad reality show that should have been cancelled years ago, but the damn machine is stuck and no one is going to pull the plug.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Wikipedia FTW!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Lest you think Cuomo's rhetoric is simply hot air, lets see how the guy who took the videos that disbanded ACORN fares:

Conservative activist James O'Keefe is accusing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration of targeting his group with document requests and a subpoena, claiming the Democratic governor's recent comments critical of conservatives "aren't simply words."

"In accusing New York state of targeting the organization, Project Veritas released a subpoena issued on Jan. 9 from the Department of Labor. The document orders representatives from the organization to show up on Jan. 28 with a slew of documents, ranging from Social Security returns to unemployment insurance returns to check stubs."

Further, the group claimed that it complied with an earlier document request and showed up for a scheduled meeting on Dec. 13, but state labor officers "never showed up."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01 ... his-group/

Waits for another deflection from slick.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

not a deflection, but an opinion: O'Keefe and his group should have been indicted and convicted long ago of providing false testimony and a few other charges. They are sleazeballs, and their whining means nothing to me. Each to their own, Woody.....cower in fear over the Democratic purge of right-wingers if you wish, but I think you are WAY overreacting.
George Orwell---"1984"