Showing off new geetar

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Showing off new geetar

Post by flip »

Just a pic of my newest gear and wondering if anyone else here has any experience with the Agile's. Ebony fretboard, solid mahogany neck and body, Grover tuners, real abalone inlays, single bound everywhere, graphite nut and bridge and Alinco V pups. 4 bills with the case so I had to pull the trigger.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Showing off new geetar

Post by Isaac »

Were I not a lazy ass, I'd take a photo of my guitars. Here's an octopus: :E Anyway, I don't have anything as your guitar, however. Very nice, you bastad.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hehe, well, I made myself wait for a long time to get that until I could play an acoustic. So, for the last 5-6 years I've been playing a right handed guitar upside down and left handed and still can't play the electric because I have no amp yet! I'm thinking the Fender Mustang 3.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

How's your Linux skills? You might turn your desktop into a guitar petal.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I actually have some modeling amp software that I pillaged back in my younger days. Think I need a DI box or preamp to bring the guitar down to line level. One of the pluses I guess with the Mustang, it has a USB port, I'm just not sure if it will pass a clean signal or not.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've actually got a couple of acoustic guitars at home -- I'm slowly trying to learn to play them XD. Once I have the money for lessons I think it'll go faster. They don't belong to me -- they're somebody else's who also can't play. But he's given me permission to practise on one when I want to.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I hope for your sake that Ebony in the frets is imported from a approved source (google what happened to Gibson) :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah AF, I'm still in the learning phase to, but I've developed enough strength so far that my barre chords are clean. I can jam maybe 30 minutes now before I fatigue.

Hadn't heard about that Woodchip. The guitar I got was made in Korea I think. They market them only through this place here, I think. Got to say, I'm not unhappy about purchasing at all. Top notch work all the way around. I think I may even get a custom, neck through with the neck scalloped. Comes to around 600-700 dollars for a guitar that will probably last a lifetime.
http://www.rondomusic.com/
Herculosis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Herculosis »

Before you jump at the mustang, you might want to compare to a Line6 Spider. Not saying you'd necessarily like it better, but you might be surprised.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, I liked the Line6's but the mustang wins on functionality. I like the XLR out's and the USB for firmware and it doesn't sound half bad in the right hands.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

NECRO!!!!

So, 6 months later. How's it workin for ya?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I got over the hump :)
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

So you can play the intro to how many songs now?

I've been working on the Top Gun soundtrack--people seem to pay attention when you walk into guitar center and start playing the Steve Steven's guitar line from the theme on a 100 watt stack. There's that and playing Johnny B Goode on an ES-335 a la Marty McFly.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

There's plenty of other things you can do with an instrument than play the intros to popular songs written by others. :lol: Why would you want that kind of inferiority complex?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

There's a few Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs I can play note for note and in time. I have yet to be able to pick out anything but simple progressions by ear, but I hope that will click someday! Mainly, I am able to keep in step now and my chords and solo's, even if basic still, sound real good. I've been lazy about it, I probably need to study some theory anyways so I will have better idea of where the tune is going. The hardest part was having to play left handed because of an injury while actually being right handed. That slowed me down, but I can stay in step with just about anything now.

EDIT: Green River was the first one I pulled out of my hat! :P It was all downhill after that!

and I finally realized the meaning to the Rolling Stones song, "Lick it Up"
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I love that blue finish. Much cooler looking than the standard 'burst Les Paul styles a lot of people have.

I have a bunch of guitars, and one of them is an Agile 7-string. They punch well above their price range.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Honestly wouldn't have picked that one first off, but it being a lefty they were still slim pickens. I fell in love with it after I got it though. You can't beat the Agiles price for what you get. That thing came to the door for $400 bucks flat and none of the epiphones could even come close to that. I still can't play the dang thing. The electrics really magnify all your weaknesses.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

flip wrote:The electrics really magnify all your weaknesses.
I can second that.

I've been singing for years, but I'm a complete guitar newb, and just started trying to learn on an old Alvarez acoustic a couple months ago. Anyway, I happened across an old Harmony H802 being sold for a few bucks on craigslist, and picked it up:
Harmony H802.jpg
It took some cleaning, and some work to correct some bad bowing in the neck (probably because it was stored strung for years in a storage space), but I now have a working electric. So, yes, all my buzzing and misplayed notes now just stand out that much more. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The nice thing is that necks are easy to find and replace.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Given how few dollars I spent on it, replacing the neck would have been too much for this old guitar. I just ended up playing with clamps and heat, and the truss rod, to get the neck straight.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Nice find! Yeah, I bought a left-handed acoustic about 6 months ago I guess and the guy at the store spent about 30 minutes working on it. You can barely slide a dime up under the strings at the 12th fret and it plays and sounds real nice so every time I get to thinking I can actually play the guitar, I fire that electric up and can barely stand the sound of it! Playing the strings is one thing, playing the right strings and muting the others is another altogether.