D3 activity dismal

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

D3 activity dismal

Post by Behemoth »

We need to coordinate times when we can get as many people online at a time so we can get some activity sparking again.
It's pretty sad that the majority of ANY descent being played is on mumble with d1 and d2, which is great and all, but no ones playing d3 anymore.
I'm not asking, I'm telling you guys to let me know when you can squeeze out an hour of gameplay and dedicate to it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: D3 activity dismal

Post by Top Gun »

I really should jump on every once in a while, for old times' sake. If you can get some people together at a given time I'll do my best to be there. I promise to give everyone plenty of easy kills!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

We have one taker already, lets see some more replies!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

On the Russian server, ok?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Russian, German, Lithuanian doesn't matter to me as long as its real descent, none of that subway cancer crap.
We've got 3 people now, come on guys, stop being pathetic.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Behemoth wrote:Russian, German, Lithuanian doesn't matter to me as long as its real descent, none of that subway cancer crap.
Quote: "stop being pathetic". Nice try :lol: I have repeatedly made allusions to you that your style of play scare away new players. Your problem is that you are good at killing, but did not know how to play. I mean that in some online games I can easily not give you any chance not to win, but even normally play. You do not understand the difference, how to play with the pros, and with inexperienced players.

Solutions for your ambitions. You need not to call people to the slaughterhouse, and try to interest the old pros who gladly will kick your ass.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Sorry buddy, there is no one who can kick my ass in D3, i'm so beyond having to prove myself that i dont take the thought seriously, I'm saying we need activity, i care less about competition because there is none, i just want to play and have fun at this point.

EDIT: and all the old pros gave up the booty to me.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Is bahamut any good at D3? He's been doing pretty well at the first two games but I'm out of the loop on the third.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Sirius wrote:Is bahamut any good at D3? He's been doing pretty well at the first two games but I'm out of the loop on the third.
I do not know how you know him, but I know him as a heartless robot-killer.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Through D1 mostly - he's currently ranked #5 on the 1v1 ladder for that.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Yeah baha is good with d3 also, it's our best game but there isn't many people who want to come to our playground ;)
Played some halcyon CTF today with tiger and another player.
We need some activity guys come and hop in!
And join us in mumble on the descent Rangers server also, got some nice competition in d1 and d2.
Negatratoron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Negatratoron »

If you run d3 windowed, you can lurk on a server and hear the beep when someone joins. I am trying this out right now, running d3 in a virtual machine. (as soon as someone joins I plan to say 'brb', close the VM, and go play d3 on the host os) (it's too bad it's so hard to run d3 with sound active but without having to be in fullscreen mode)

I'll try this a few times and see if I can start up any games this way.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I sometimes use alias' so people don't feel the need to single me out or try and compete with a rusty me, but i'm not seeing the activity i want guys, come on now, stop being pathetic!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I'm in. Can't suggest a time though because I check the tracker pretty inconsistently. Usually evenings I guess (PST), not Thursdays or Tuesdays.

Feel like I've seen some people playing Saturday day? Anyone have input on that?
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
b2af
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by b2af »

I would like to play, but I have no idea where d3 players meet? If we want more d3 players then we need a centralized place to go.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Check the other sticky topics and join the chats on gamesurge and descentforum.net. The easiest way to get there would be to get a tool called "Vortex" from www.slyclan.de as you would get a game tracker along the chat and many other features to accompany with D3 ...

Let me know if you run into troubles...
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Behemoth, there were plenty of people who could've beat you in D3, they just quit and moved on with their lives (or the lack thereof :P)

ThunderBunny made a post once asking the server ops to stop hosting n00by levels, but everybody complained and moaned. :P I thought the entire BB was going to detonate :P He was right tho. :P
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I may resume my Descent'ing days with this.
http://preparefordescent.com/about wrote:
Technology

Sol Contingency is made with the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), harnessing the power of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 to give the game a current look. It allows us to create an engaging scenery that will immerse you in the world of Descent like never before. High-resolution models of robots and ships from the original game, beautiful particle effects for weapon fire and detailed texturing of the mines are all part of the presentation.

Gameplay

The gameplay of Sol Contingency is very close to Descent. Fight menacing robots in zero gravity using all three axes of the 3D space, speed down claustrophobia-inducing tunnels and mine shafts, fire powerful energy-based weapons and missiles, charge up your shields to survive the continuous onslaught, and finally blow up the fusion reactor of the mine after clearing it out.

However, Sol Contingency is not just about running and gunning. The game will challenge you with small puzzles, outdoor areas, mining machinery and key characters that need to be found and rescued to let you advance further. With completely dark areas and danger from any direction, you will be on your toes a little more than you ever were in Descent. Combat will be fast paced and adrenaline pumping like in other modern action games, but with the added complexity of 6DOF.
The YouTube video.

I had started an "Are...or...can...we? ("Sol Contingency")" thread in the still-active "Team III" forum and some await it.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Wow...
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I got a game going yesterday... a little bit of Burning Indika 3 followed by Destruction Junction... it was fun, considering my mouse goes haywire when I play :P
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I bought Descent 3 on Steam, and I just played my first Descent 3 multiplayer game in years. I doubt I'll ever play this game regularly again, but I'll certainly hop on every once in a while. :)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Burlyman wrote:I got a game going yesterday... a little bit of Burning Indika 3 followed by Destruction Junction... it was fun, considering my mouse goes haywire when I play :P
One day while playing in multiplayer I broke my keyboard, a few buttons jumped out and scattered on the floor, some drove off under the table and a wardrobe. I found all the buttons, put back, and at the same time, some players managed to play even worse than I do :lol:
pipsqueak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak »

Sadly, I think the end is finally here. :'( :'( :'(
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

No Pipsqueak! It's never over!
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
WC Fearverl
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by WC Fearverl »

i saw Desent 1,2,3 on steam d/l it but i cant get my controller to work id love to come back and kill you a few time after i get some rust off lol.. but how do i get the patch and stuff to work with this version. i no longer have working disc for any of the games of course i had floppys for d1 lol they long sense been trashed.anyone playing on steam anyway to get my steam dl to work on your multiplayer site id love to come join the matches again if i could get my logitech gamepad to work
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

You're wrong samus, i beat em all. :)
don't test me choobux.
Goober
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Goober »

sigma wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Russian, German, Lithuanian doesn't matter to me as long as its real descent, none of that subway cancer crap.
Quote: "stop being pathetic". Nice try :lol: I have repeatedly made allusions to you that your style of play scare away new players. Your problem is that you are good at killing, but did not know how to play. I mean that in some online games I can easily not give you any chance not to win, but even normally play. You do not understand the difference, how to play with the pros, and with inexperienced players.

Solutions for your ambitions. You need not to call people to the slaughterhouse, and try to interest the old pros who gladly will kick your ass.
Sounds like Sigma has it right. Several of my friends and I used to love multiplayer years ago. We were all casual players, and were discouraged by the ladder climbers who would join the games we started because they were just looking for noobies to run up their score. Some of us just last week downloaded new versions of D3 to try to reminisce a while, and ran into the same thing, a player so good that you usually got killed before you could find a powerup.

If you want more good players, you need more noobies. You won't have noobies very long if they get discouraged right off the bat. I think the ladder system helped to encourage more gameplay among the experienced players, but it discouraged the new players that are desperately needed now.

I don't understand the mentality of those who seem to enjoy blasting away at a game full of noobies. They would find more competition in a mine full of bots. Right now I am trying to learn how to set up my own server so that we can play without intrusion, that is how I found this forum.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Not to be confused with "Gooberman", I guess. Hello.

For sure it's good to find evenly matched groups of players to compete against. It makes for an easier progression. Unfortunately the numbers and therefore the variety just aren't here like they used to be. Hopefully that will change with Sol Contingency's release, whenever that's slated to come out. It's important to try to have the right mindset when it comes to defeat against a superior opponent. It can mean the difference between growing and just becoming frustrated. When an opponent beats you it speaks to their ability, not yours. I think a lot of people approach it believing that they should win... that's just not the way it works. You take your beatings, learn by observation, and overcome! Granted when a veteran flies circles around you it can be tricky to pick out what exactly has happened, by there's still a starting point there--master your controls to the point where they're not flying circles, then move on to aim, dodging, etc. This game never had an easy learning curve. It ALWAYS took more patience and more attention than the groundpounders. By all means find players of similar skill and enjoy advancing in a more relaxed environment, but maybe on the side suck it up and learn to respect what it takes to pull off some of the ridiculous wins you're seeing. Take my word for it--your control setup is going to be the biggest barrier (you can find help with that).

Good luck in the mines! For every strategy there is a counter!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Goober, not sure if you've flown against me or not, but I wasn't a great player at the beginning either, you can ask a lot of guys on these forums, they would probably remember. .
But I didn't give up even when some better players told me I should just give up trying to be a good player and eventually I got to where I was a great player and also would play anyone willing to play with me.
I understand your point that it's discouraging to newer or less skilled players when they get creamed.. but if you encounter no resistance how can you grow? How can you expand your mind if you feed it the same stimuli? And I wasn't bashing the people who play subway dancer, I was bashing the level itself, because it tried to be a boater level that isn't even a good boater level, no offense to atan, who did a great job with the building and style of the level, it's just not the type of optimal level to find a fun great game.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

When it comes to Subway Dancer, the weapons are not balanced as well as they are in the rest of the game, and it's like a drug to newbies because kills come easier (as long as you're the one passing out missiles). Props to Atan for some interesting attempts at modded weapons, but shame on him for not balancing them, and shame on all of the newbie crackheads for playing it almost exclusively. :twisted2:
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Welcome to the DBB, Goober!

You might want to check this out: viewtopic.php?p=346313#p346313
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Server-manager any game server must have a function to enter your password to log on to the server at the request of the server administrator.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

yeah, all the guys who think i never played modded levels dont realize i used to play subway and hyperspace pretty much all the time when i first started using mouse, when i realized levels like that gave me a handicap, both competitively and in respect to having fun, i ditched them for better levels.
but i could still join games like that and easily dominate.