It's a video game, not reality

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

It's a video game, not reality

Post by Tunnelcat »

The Russian TV News fell for this one and tried to pass off this poster as WWI era U.S. propaganda. Now we really know where the Russians get's their news, Team Fortress 2. :lol:

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-i ... 51917.html

To be fair, the BBC did something similar, passing off the Halo logo of the "United Nations Space Command" as the U.N. Security Council logo.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-i ... 12261.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: It's a video game, not reality

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:The Russian TV News fell for this one and tried to pass off this poster as WWI era U.S. propaganda.
And why am I not surprised? :)
Western media in a typical American-style try to turn upside down situation where they themselves have drawn the poster in obvious propaganda style, and are now trying to blame the Russian :lol: And by the way, I'm not a subscriber paid cable and satellite TV channels, what is the "Channel 1 HD".
tunnelcat wrote: Now we really know where the Russians get's their news, Team Fortress 2. :lol:
Without a doubt, the vast majority of Russian viewers got a lot of useful information from the unknown poster, which is written in English, and even more so, every Russian knows what it's like Team Fortress 2 :)
Thanks for a good joke! I laughed heartily :wink: Image
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:Western media in a typical American-style try to turn upside down situation where they themselves have drawn the poster in obvious propaganda style, and are now trying to blame the Russian :lol: And by the way, I'm not a subscriber paid cable and satellite TV channels, what is the "Channel 1 HD".
Uh, sigma, the western media didn't create that poster. A Finnish artisit, from FINLAND, right next door to Russia by the way, was the person who created it. It harkens back to WWI and was a JOKE against the Team Fortress 2 soldier class! It was the Russian Media who didn't do their research and they're the ones who took it as some sort of serious propaganda piece to use against that hated West.

From my original link:
In truth, it was the work of Finnish artist and DeviantArt member TankTaur. The piece was intended to denigrate Team Fortress 2's Soldier class while promoting the Demoman. That's, um, why it also says "Join Team Demoman today and make those monsters pay."
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

:) You agree that the pay cable TV channels are not state media in the literal sense?
You agree that this article is focused on the western hysterical housewives (no offense! :wink: ) that they discussed with her friends this sensational news over the phone?
You agree that gamers are a little smarter than all of Western journalists and housewives together?
You agree that pay-TV subscribers pay money not for the news channels and they would see anything, but not documentaries on political issues?
You agree that the people in Russia is absolutely not interested in what there Finnish cartoonists draw, or write Western journalists and what is the Team Fortress 2 soldier class?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't know about Russian pay TV, but our pay TV, also known as cable TV here, is not for hysterical housewives. :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

:lol: I also doubt that housewives in the West watching Russian satellite TV channels.
To do this, there are the Western media who are looking for any, even the most stupid reason for ridicule Russia and maintain a psychopathic anti-Russian hysteria. As I said, the Russians are not interested in this whole little western journalistic nonsense, because we know that such journalistic opus written for a Western audience. And so in Russia generally try not to comment on such articles, as the Russian people, in any case give a ★■◆● about all of this, while the Western press with the housewives will already not giggle nervously, and they begin to convulse patriotic hysteria, that big evil Russia did not appreciate their exquisite humor. Mimimi!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Ok I see what you're saying sigma, but people make mistakes whether or not their government is riled up against another. If those mistakes are made in the course of broadcasting news, other people see them. If other people didn't see them I would say the broadcasters were doing something wrong.
I doubt the poster has any political intention and even if it did, the soldier it shows eating babies is an American soldier- a fictional one but nonetheless. And I doubt the article was consciously intended to be political either. If you want to get into the psychology of the situation, we really don't know enough about the writer or the artist to judge anything. Accusations towards people you've never spoken to, whether they have reason or not, don't solve anything. Making confusing inflammatory comments in this thread is only going to create more problems.
Besides, if you really believe so much of the west is in the grip of patriotic fervor then you must have already concluded from that, that you'll never convince them of anything you say.

And all of that makes me think you're trying to attract Issac.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sigma, DirectTV and other companies offer Russian channels. You forget, that we live in the free world. You're the one with restrictions, not us.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It seems, it dawned on me. And why I have not looked at once that this site is located in Utah… It turns out that all this time I was on the forum only for the American descenters? Previously, it seemed to me that this is an international forum of descenters. Despite the fact that I'm primarily a descenter, and then Russian, however, I must respect your opinion, if you want this forum to remain American. Well, insofar as absurd by chance I found myself here nevertheless… And even I have already rank of DBB Captain of the American Descenting Space fleet... OK, how do you suggest I do in this situation - to clean the country of my origin under my avatar, that it does not annoy others, or ignore threads about my country, or both? Maybe will be some other recommendations?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Need a "like" button for Skyalmian's post :mrgreen:

I am getting a little tired of the US vs Russia arguments lately. They do not achieve anything productive and just sour the mood of the forum...
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Alter-Fox, because there is no law on the responsibility of journalists for unsubstantiated fantasies in their articles, therefore this misunderstanding happens.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

ImageImage
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

sigma wrote:Alter-Fox, because there is no law on the responsibility of journalists for unsubstantiated fantasies in their articles, therefore this misunderstanding happens.
There especially isn't one in the places where video games happen. :lol: Even if there was people would still make mistakes.
But if you have a problem with the article find the contact info for whoever wrote it. Talking to them may actually accomplish something. It has a much better chance of accomplishing something than complaining on an obscure corner of the internet where barely anyone goes. And you've been here long enough to know the attitudes of big chunks of this site. The fact that you stay means you probably enjoy the debates you have with them.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote::lol: I also doubt that housewives in the West watching Russian satellite TV channels.
Well, I don't have a Satellite service, so I don't get the, gag me, thrill of watching whatever passes for Russian female TV entertainment. I myself don't watch those stupid soap operas or other banal and brain killing entertainment TV shows that get put on in the daytime here. I can pretty much guess what Russian males like to watch though. :wink: :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

sigma wrote:It seems, it dawned on me. And why I have not looked at once that this site is located in Utah… It turns out that all this time I was on the forum only for the American descenters? Previously, it seemed to me that this is an international forum of descenters. Despite the fact that I'm primarily a descenter, and then Russian, however, I must respect your opinion, if you want this forum to remain American. Well, insofar as absurd by chance I found myself here nevertheless… And even I have already rank of DBB Captain of the American Descenting Space fleet... OK, how do you suggest I do in this situation - to clean the country of my origin under my avatar, that it does not annoy others, or ignore threads about my country, or both? Maybe will be some other recommendations?
The majority of people posting here are Americans because the majority of people that played Descent were Americans, but that doesn't make this an American Forum or just for Americans. There were also people from plenty of other countries, I'm pretty sure this forum has at one time or another had people posting from just about every well connected country in the world. This place isn't tied to any specific nationality, about the only thing that tends to make it lean to towards western nations/ideals is the English language. This site is only hosted in Utah because it is convenient, the company hosting it has a data center there and that is really all there is to it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There have been quite a few people from Germany, especially. And quite a few Australians, Canadians (Alter-Fox is one example actually!)... personally I came from New Zealand but moved to the States for better work opportunities.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Aha… Now everything is clear. It seems that Skyalmian was thinking the same thing as you, Sirius. He was also tired of seeing endless squabble about the difference of views on the Russian and Americans share the same political problems. He put a lot of effort to show that not all Americans are so blind as they are considered to be in Russia. For this I special thank him from me personally. Since there is often discussed political issues of relations between Russia and the United States against the backdrop of the current political crisis, apparently he had the impression that I did not come here from the Descent, and from a political party :lol: There is partly my fault, because I too often pointed to the fact that the Russians have a different opinion, different from the American view (even more correct to say, not an opinion Americans, and American politicians and the media). Well, I'm glad that we can find, and find mutual understanding eventually :D :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I think I even will change a "like" button for Skyalmian's post

ImageImage
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Sirius wrote:There have been quite a few people from Germany, especially. And quite a few Australians, Canadians (Alter-Fox is one example actually!)... personally I came from New Zealand but moved to the States for better work opportunities.
... And apparently (AFAIK) I'm the only one from Mexico that hangs around here.
It seems that unfortunately, Descent didn't got that much attention on my country, compared to the hit it was in the USA and Germany.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I would guess that's because PC gaming in 1990s Mexico was still some distance behind?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Yeah, it was a bit behind, but not that much actually.
Back on 1996, Descent was totally available on the shelves at computing stores (that's how I got both the D1 Anniversary Edition and D2), but people here didn't show much of an interest on it. :/

However, it's true PC gaming was not very popular back then, specially when comparing it to the popularity the SNES and the recently arrived N64 & PSX gained around here.

(BTW, I think we're derailing the topic a bit :P )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think the topic's more than run its course anyway.