Orientation astronaut in space

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Orientation astronaut in space

Post by sigma »

They do not know that astronauts specially trained adequately to navigate in the absence of gravity, and even more so, they will adequately be guided in the presence of even a modicum of gravity? And some people even enjoy the absence of gravity, playing some computer games?
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0106207
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Orientation astronaut in space

Post by Tunnelcat »

Me and the lack of gravity don't get along. Not only can I NOT tell up from down, I'm one of those people who get's seasick and airsick all the time. I'm a really great fish chummer at sea, but I'd be a horrible astronaut if I had to do it. I can guarantee I'd throw up inside my helmet in zero gee. Not an adventure I'd like to experience.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

tunnelcat wrote:... but I'd be a horrible astronaut if I had to do it
In an interview with Sandra Bullock said that she never wanted to be an astronaut, and in general she is afraid to fly. However, when she was asked to become an astronaut, she did it :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I went out salmon fishing in the ocean one time and our boat had to go over the Columbia river bar to get there. The waves were 20 feet plus and whenever the 30 foot boat topped a wave and dropped back down the back side, the negative G's really got to me. Me and a couple of others did a great job of attracting the salmon by giving them our breakfasts however. I even lost one fish because I was too busy throwing up over the side. I didn't even care either. :lol:

No, I like gravity just fine. The lack of it would put me into a constant sick malaise. I even get queasy on a stupid children's swing set.

But NASA is doing some research on creating artificial gravity for long space trips, since zero gravity is very hard long term on the human body, especially when returning to a gravity environment.

http://www.universetoday.com/10494/arti ... aceflight/

I did stumble across this little research though. I'd never even thought about it before either, and I'm a woman. Apparently men worried about it way back in the early days of space flight however. It has to do with women in zero gravity and whether they would have "women problems" because of weightlessness. They don't have any issues, as it turns out. Plus the Russians WERE the first to send a woman, Valentina Tereshkova, into space too. Good for the Russians! :wink:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... e-in-space
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hmm, i wonder if pressing on the skin can influence your perception of up and down. ie: if your feet are being pulled hard against the ground, does that sensation on the bottom of your feet help? If so, then spacesuits could be made haptic to aide in this, sensing & amplifying the sensations of touch. Not just on your feet, but the whole body, like when lying against something, or sitting.
Also it would be funny to say that your job is to design things that squeeze astronaut butts so they know up from down :D (look i'm helping!)