Personal holodeck

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Personal holodeck

Post by Tunnelcat »

This looks really cool. I'd like to turn a room in my house into this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-roo ... -holodeck/

Plus, if you combine that room with this technology to manipulate things, fantastic! :o

http://gizmodo.com/5851528/microsoft-ju ... l-holodeck
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Personal holodeck

Post by sigma »

In my opinion, such perspective - it's a bad idea.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm not sure I like it either... kind of limits what can be done with world design when you can't personally move around beyond the confines of the one room. And I like expansive worlds. :D Not to mention the limits of player character design -- you can't really have an eight-legged spider alien in this setting.
I think that really just makes it a gimmick. If you could make it like the Star Trek holodecks where you can somehow move beyond the one room, that might be worth playing.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well ***! Party pooper. You got to start somewhere. Those 3D holograms they've been showing of dead music stars interacting with live music stars are downright amazing. We're getting closer.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I'll be honest. Show featuring Michael Jackson looked like a cool and sad. I mean, I've seen a beautiful show with dancing dead. Although maybe it's just unusual for people of our generation.
But if my hologram is going to work instead of me, at that time, as I ride a bicycle in a park, then I like this kind of technology!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Alter-Fox wrote:I'm not sure I like it either... kind of limits what can be done with world design when you can't personally move around beyond the confines of the one room[snipsnop]
I've seen systems (albiet not pushed by Microsoft's counter-intuitively-effective PR arm, coz wow i have seen this system everywhere this week, they're really pushing this hard, ★■◆● you PR industry $$$) that are mounted ON-PERSON. The micro-projector is attached to your phone, and hangs on a lanyard around your neck, can project onto anything and everything infront of you. i could find a video but i CAN'T BE FUCKED HAHAH