D3: Quad Lasers not working - bug?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

unshaven
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D3: Quad Lasers not working - bug?

Post by unshaven »

I recently bought Descent 3 from GOG.
I think I have at least two times if not more collected "quad laser", and on my left upper screen, just under GuideBot, it shows "quad laser". And I have the superlaser.
Which only shoots 2 beams, not 4. I just watched a YT vid of someone playing D3 to see how to activate the quad laser, and it seems he just collected it and then the yellow thing shoots 4 instead 2 beams, no special action needed...
Am currently at the mission in japan subway (the beginning, havent figured out yet how not to get smashed :D)

Is this a bug? Can this be fixed?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: D3: Quad Lasers not working - bug?

Post by Foil »

Which ship are you flying?

If you're flying the Magnum, it's actually shooting all four lasers (it just looks like two because the left and right pairs are so close together).

If not, have you applied any mods?

---------

By the way, the subway section you're in is one of my favorite parts of that level. Pay attention to the pattern of the trains, use your afterburner wisely, and enjoy. :)

(BTW, if you are using the Magnum, I'd suggest switching, because you really need some speed in that level.)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If you picked up two or more sets of quad lasers on the same life, that's a bug. "Normal" Descent 3 doesn't let you do that. And it sounds to me like you've just reached Seoul for the first time, since you said you just bought the game... so it's not likely you've unlocked the Magnum. If I'm wrong tell me.
If you are flying the Magnum, Foil's probably right. And on the other fork of the tail if it actually is a problem there isn't much we can do. The source code for Descent 3 was never released and Interplay's certainly not supporting it anymore. I'm not even sure they have the code... it's amazing the game runs as well as it does on modern Windows.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
unshaven
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by unshaven »

Yeah I have been there the first time.I myself have not applied any mods, I don't know whether GOG modified it in any way. From what I can tell they packed mission packs, official and unofficial ones, in there too, which one can select in the in-game menu.
There's one patch offered for download, called "windows 8.1 mouse lag fix", which sounds specifically not like my problem and I'm running this on vista.
I have an XP machine available that I kept for older games, but the described effect (no quad laser) doesn't seem OS related.

I am not aware I can choose any other vehicle.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah the game doesn't give you any indication it's going to happen till you actually unlock one.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

GOG puts map packs in now?

gotta check that out :mrgreen:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think it's just the multiplayer maps that came with Mercenary.