yeah, I'd say 'excessive' sums it up.....

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

yeah, I'd say 'excessive' sums it up.....

Post by callmeslick »

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: yeah, I'd say 'excessive' sums it up.....

Post by Ferno »

armored vehicle? what?

did they think he was the leader of an armed resistance group?

"dude owes $86,000? Fire up the MRAP! he might be an enemy soldier!!"
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

We know we've had our staff involved to mediate this over a number of months trying to calm the situation and it never got any better,” explain Marathon County Chief Deputy Chad Billeb.
Well if the staff was dressed in full SWAT body armor and carried SMG's and a water boarding rig maybe the agitated demeanor was justified!

I think it is time to ask the Pentagon to just keep their frickin toys.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Our county has something similar now, and it's actually kept by our city's police department (swat). Bad idea, IMO. They drove it around to the neighborhood watch meeting to introduce it to the neighborhood, and gave their reasons for having it. Sounded basically the same as that guy's explanation/justification in the video--it all sounds so reasonable. I bet I could put together a good case for driving one myself, if I were to use their logic. IMO if a city/county gets to the point where they need military hardware to police and keep the peace, something is very wrong.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

This one's a head-scratcher.

Cops aren't soldiers. They don't receive the same training and they aren't held to the same standard. I'd like the good police out there to have what they need to enforce the laws justly, but this stuff ain't it. Did they think this 75 year old suddenly became Superman or something? Couldn't they have just sent four or five burly cops (they all seem to be these days) to make a point? Total overkill...wimps.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

That's exactly why I am against ex-military personnel becoming civilian police. Their training makes them unfit for it. They are too hardcore and overtly obedient at the same time. In my opinion that makes a very poor Constitutional officer and has resulted in this militarization of civil authorities.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Joe Friday is turning in his grave
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Joe Friday is turning in his grave
That comment deserves a gold star. Actually, would anyone agree that stoicism was a common theme in media during the mid-20th Century? Newscasters were dry, even though the level of propaganda was just as insane with the Cold War and everything. Authority figures in TV and movies were presented differently, even if unrealistically. I'm not saying it was better. I don't have an opinion at this time.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

vision wrote:
woodchip wrote:Joe Friday is turning in his grave
That comment deserves a gold star. Actually, would anyone agree that stoicism was a common theme in media during the mid-20th Century? Newscasters were dry, even though the level of propaganda was just as insane with the Cold War and everything. Authority figures in TV and movies were presented differently, even if unrealistically. I'm not saying it was better. I don't have an opinion at this time.
I think he's right. Joe Friday, even though he was a fictional character, would have appalled at the militarization of our police forces. Jack Webb always tried to portray the police as a protector of the people, not an aggressor. It's one more step towards the U.S. becoming a militarized police state.

[youtube]7COcohB9n3w[/youtube]
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

By today's Hollywood standard a real Joe Friday is portrayed as an uncaring fascist bully.
By the time they finish redefining morality we will be ripe for crumbling into anarchy.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isn't that essentially what you want? Freedom? All I hear you spout is get that government out of our lives and let's have our total freedom. But, if you get rid of government, then what's left is anarchy. You can't have it both ways.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Will Robinson wrote:By today's Hollywood standard a real Joe Friday is portrayed as an uncaring fascist bully.
By the time they finish redefining morality we will be ripe for crumbling into anarchy.
THE SKY IS FALLING!!! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!! :roll:
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:By today's Hollywood standard a real Joe Friday is portrayed as an uncaring fascist bully.
Isn't that what you are hinting at in your OP?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

tunnelcat wrote:Isn't that essentially what you want? Freedom? All I hear you spout is get that government out of our lives and let's have our total freedom. But, if you get rid of government, then what's left is anarchy. You can't have it both ways.
Can you quote any instance I've suggested government needs to be removed and replaced with total freedom? Any example at all that you don't also share the same view?

Or was that just you being a troll?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:
Isn't that what you are hinting at in your OP?
hardly. I simply posted an article with an example of excessive response. Nowhere did I, or would I, suggest that this sort of thing is becoming the norm.
George Orwell---"1984"