Dallas ebola patient has died...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Dallas ebola patient has died...

Post by callmeslick »

no, I'm not worried. Far, far, too many more things to worry about if one tends to that. Start, as I say, with FLU, and go from there. The chance the average American has to contract Ebola is dwarfed by their chance to be stuck and killed by lightning.

edit--just read the study,and a couple of the background links. Nothing in there which ought to scare or worry anyone. The Ebola virus just isn't viable that long(3 weeks under IDEAL conditions as a maximum survival is 'not that long' in virus terms. Bottom line is this: there is NO WAY we get an epidemic or even a measurable significant outbreak in the US. NO way. Why, then, would you be so panicked, Woody?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Where do you get the impression I am panicked? Or do you think pointing out what is contrary to the mainstream cant is panicking?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Where do you get the impression I am panicked? Or do you think pointing out what is contrary to the mainstream cant is panicking?
your panic is reflective of the 'mainstream' as best as I can tell. And, it is idiotic.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:Where do you get the impression I am panicked?
Well, that big block of red text sends some visual signals... Maybe tone it down a little? These things matter you know. It is hard for most people to communicate properly in text form, so expressive flourishes like bold, italic, colored, or specifically sized text have big impacts.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Or the red can point out the most salient part of the quote. I guess one can read into things a dozen different ways. Might help to simply ask why something is highlighted instead of equating a derogatory definition (not directed at you vision)
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The flu is considerably hardier than ebola, and it kills a lot of people in the U.S. every year. I don't see people freaking out about that. Plus, Ebola Reston in particular, which it's not fatal to humans, has probably already spread around the entire population in this country since 1989, and besides, George H.W. Bush was pres at the time, so it must be HIS fault it got out of the lab in the first place. You've been watching too much Fox News, where they've been going apoplectic ever since this bug surfaced in the U.S. The ONLY reason they're doing that is to whip up more hatred and fear for Democrats and Obama in particular, and not for any productive reasons either. I'm betting if Romney was pres right now, he would have suppressed the whole thing like Reagan did with HIV and Fox News would be looking for some reason to blame Democrats in his stead.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Considering these type of viruses are the most likely to mutate, a little prudence and mitigation doesn't hurt. It's actually the best chance we will ever have to observe evolution in a natural setting. The problem is, you cannot predict or prepare for a mutation. Aside from that, I agree the risk of an epidemic is highly unlikely.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

flip wrote:Considering these type of viruses are the most likely to mutate, a little prudence and mitigation doesn't hurt. It's actually the best chance we will ever have to observe evolution in a natural setting. The problem is, you cannot predict or prepare for a mutation. Aside from that, I agree the risk of an epidemic is highly unlikely.
I don't know who gave you this information, but, no, Ebola is not anywhere NEAR 'most likely to mutate'. It has, if anything, remained rather stable in nature(once again, comparison to influenza types is worthwhile).
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Is it not an RNA type virus?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

All virus strains are “most likely to mutate”.

Because that’s what tiggers do.

That doesn’t mean sometime next week, it will become airborne, or anything like that.

In fact, Ebola is a RNA virus, the kind that mutates fastest, rather than a DNA virus.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah, that's all I was saying. The RNA types mutate rapidly and are more likely than DNA type's because they lack the "error checking" (loose language) that a DNA type has.

EDIT: "mutation rate of 2.0 x 10-3 substitutions per site"

Some studies are showing as high a mutation rate as the Flu.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Previous outbreaks have only seen a few hundred cases. Now we are looking at over 10,000 case. Ask any one who has studied infectious disease and the more cases you have the more likely the virus will mutate into something different. Case in point is the bird flu.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:Previous outbreaks have only seen a few hundred cases. Now we are looking at over 10,000 case. Ask any one who has studied infectious disease and the more cases you have the more likely the virus will mutate into something different. Case in point is the bird flu.
that's a valid observation. Still, there is no history of hemorragic types mutating wildly in the real world. This virus could be wiped out altogether with enough money thrown at basic medical and pathological protocols in place. Not, unfortunately, the case in the region where it takes hold.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Riiiiiight…and how pray tell would you remove it from its reservoir population?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:Riiiiiight…and how pray tell would you remove it from its reservoir population?
half of them will die, the others(it now seems)will develop immunity.
George Orwell---"1984"
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Hah, that's exactly what I said Slick ;) (Not in this thread)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:Riiiiiight…and how pray tell would you remove it from its reservoir population?
half of them will die, the others(it now seems)will develop immunity.
No....the other reservoir....
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

to whom are you referring, Spidey? If you are referring to non-human carriers and vectors, eliminating or negating contact would be part of the fundamental medical infrastructure, I'd suppose.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes, the non-human reservoir population.