Password manager

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Password manager

Post by Tunnelcat »

Any suggestions on a password manager, preferably free?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Password manager

Post by Krom »

Been using KeePass myself, its free, supports browser integration (although I don't use that), and has a portable mode which I like.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It looks simple enough. How does it work when you want to enter a password into something?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You can copy the password to the clipboard by double clicking on an entry, or right clicking and copying it. Although something to keep in mind is the default behavior clears the clipboard 10 seconds after you copy a password to it, so you have to paste it in within 10 seconds, you can disable this behavior or change how long it waits though, so relatively easy to work with.

At risk of stating the obvious, you should also keep one or more backups of your key file(s). I keep a backup of mine in microsoft or google private cloud storage, on multiple local drives, and on multiple local devices, since without the key file I'd be seriously screwed... :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sounds like a solution. The key file(s) is in what format by the way? .txt? I have plenty of external drives and USB sticks to store the key file(s) on, so there's no issue with that.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The key file is some customized encrypted format native to keepass, probably something like an xml file if you stripped out the encryption given the file size.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks Krom. I'll give KeePass a whirl.