Folder Sharing Question

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Folder Sharing Question

Post by Spidey »

I’m using my Media Center PC to backup my main work PC. But the thing is, the drive I’m backing up to is a USB external drive, and I can’t for the life of me get the damn thing to keep the share.

I have been doing some research on the issue, and mapping the folder as a network drive seems to be the way to go.

Is this correct? Will mapping the drive force it to keep the share after shut down or sleep?

Is there a better way?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Folder Sharing Question

Post by Krom »

If you can con windows into thinking it isn't a removable drive...

Probably the best way to go is to simply not use a USB drive for it, side benefits of internal drives usually have a better chance of lasting simply because they don't take anywhere near the same physical abuse that a USB external can and cost/GB is lower.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Internal drive = not an option.

NAS = not an option.

I don’t understand why it comes and goes, today I can see the shared folders, yesterday I couldn’t.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

which OS?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Win 7 Pro SP1
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the problem is windows has no unique way of identifying USB devices... because lots of USB devices don't even bother with uniquely identifying themselves(either excluding such or just doing it wrong).

The actual problem is your external enclosure is on its way out. Data is probably fine tho.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

There is nothing wrong with the drive or the enclosure.

After doing my searches it’s quite obvious that this is a common problem, that has nothing to do with failing drives or enclosures.

I just wanted to know if mapping the drive is the proper solution, so it’s obvious that you guys can’t answer that…no problem, I’ll just have to try and see what happens.