Whoa!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Whoa!

Post by Tunnelcat »

This is cool. A jeep SUV left this ice sculpture after backing out of it's parking place. A perfect impression of the Jeep's front end, in ice.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Umm... a couple questions immediately come to mind -
1) Real or hoax?
2) If real, how did they manage to do that?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Sirius. I was going to post that too. I've seen this picture pop up here and there and even on a news cast, but I'm a bit leery of it. Sure it LOOKS cool, but I don't see enough contact with the ground to support that kind of weight.

(Sorry TC, not meaning to rain ..er.. snow on your parade there. ;D)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I saw it on the national news and the cameraman was walking around it to show the back side. The icicles that dripped down the front from a long stint of freezing rain held the whole thing up. Apparently, the owner left his engine running for a short period before backing out of the spot and leaving the sculpture. The engine heat separated the ice from the vehicle.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/weird ... /23654401/

Here's another one from the front end of a Dodge Ram truck.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... 87?cid=msn

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

OK. Yeah, it sounds plausible, you'd need to make sure the ice film was solid enough for it to stand on its own, but... as long as you run the engine just long enough but not too long (or the whole thing will collapse) it sounds like it would work.

Presumably the rest of the vehicle was covered in ice sheets as well. Windscreen could be annoying if it didn't get warm enough.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Wait, where the tire tracks of the car, which went away? The first photo is enough snow to leave imprint tread wheels of the car.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, the first photo shows that the Jeep came and parked on top of old snow and ice that was hard packed and had never melted, then the freezing rain came down while the Jeep was already parked. My dad's car did the same thing to the snow in his driveway one year. It had been snowing for days and stayed cold and the snow packed down into hard ice and never melted as he parked in different spots in his driveway. It left a bumpy ice coating all over the driveway with no specific tire tracks. Then there was a freezing rain event afterwards, although he never got that nice ice sculpture. You'll notice that there is ice under the car next to the now empty space in the picture too. The second picture of the truck shows ice free pavement underneath since the freezing rain missed the area because the truck was already parked when the freezing rain hit.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Quite an interesting video of the race drones, posted on the forum RDO, imitation is one of the stories of the Star Wars 8)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's cool.

Speaking of Star Wars, Harrison Ford, aka Han Solo, was injured yesterday when his vintage WWII airplane crash landed after engine failure. Poor old Ford seems to be having a run of bad luck with machines that fly, in space or in the air.

http://www.cnet.com/news/harrison-ford- ... ane-crash/

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Brings a whole new meaning to hitting the links :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Well, you could do worse. You could hit a lynx.
And now it's a very angry lynx. :o
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The moral is, if you're going to crash your airplane, do it on a golf course. You're far more likely to have a doctor help you there than anywhere else. :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

That's a good point :lol:

By the way, the International Women's Day is celebrated in the United States? Although, for me it is not very important. In Russia today a great holiday and all the men congratulate women, give them flowers and gifts.

This is for you, Tunnelcat. Wishing you a wonderful spring mood, joy and happiness!

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

8) :D

[youtube]Z2Un-xyRrkA[/youtube]
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thank you for the flowers sigma. I didn't know about International Women's Day, at least not here. Typical. :wink:

By the way, It's 70 degrees Fahrenheit outside my house today. The trees are in full bloom and most of my flower bulbs are blooming too. It's only the middle of March, but it seems like summer lately. I washed the car and got a suntan. I've already had to spray for ants and bugs around the house. We've had very little rain and there's only 10 percent of the regular snow pack in the Cascade Mountains. Oregon is going to be in a world of hurt if we don't get more mountain snow, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting much more. We get all our summer water from that snow pack too. I'm starting to hear the words "water rationing".

By the way, is that rain or hail going on during that soccer match? And what a goal!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ahh don't worry TC, White day is next Sunday. We can send you some "obligatory chocolate". ;D
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Had to look that one up Duper. Plus, it seems like a bass ackwards holiday to me. The occasion, in Japan and Korea, is for the girls to give boys chocolates and sweets to show their affection and love. But boys don't like chocolate like us girls do. For us, it's a drug. For boys, meh. :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

My summer will come only after three months. Now I can wash the car only with ice water from a well alternately with ice. Often have to boil the kettle and add hot water in a bucket of water.

It is difficult for me to understand why you have problems with water. You can always dig a well or drill a well with automatic pump
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma, all our ground water comes from aquifers fed by mountain snows. If we have many years of low snow pack, the aquifers will start drying up. We haven't had that ever happen in recorded history, but there's always a first time. However, most of the cities in Western Oregon, plus my city, get their water from local rivers. We usually have abundant rains to keep those rivers full and the mountains full of snow. When those rivers run low, the authorities will usually implement water restrictions, like not letting people water their gardens. Mostly rural people and farmers far from the rivers get their water from wells and if they don't hit a deep aquifer with their well drilling, they use shallow wells, in which case the water is awful to drink. The crops don't mind I guess. In California, there is such a shortage of water that people have had to get water trucked in just to drink and to use to flush their toilets. It's very bad down there. Even the wells are drying up.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah TC, it is a bit backwards. Most regard it as a way for business to make money, but many enjoy it anyways for fun. ^_^

Where water is concern, we could be hurting here on the west coast this year. We have nearly no snow pack at all and record low precipitation for the winter. I'm hoping it rains nearly non-stop until July!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

tunnelcat wrote:Had to look that one up Duper. Plus, it seems like a bass ackwards holiday to me. The occasion, in Japan and Korea, is for the girls to give boys chocolates and sweets to show their affection and love. But boys don't like chocolate like us girls do. For us, it's a drug. For boys, meh. :P
That's the point, just think how hard it is for the girls to give chocolate to a boy.

You see this subject all the time in Anime.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, if a girl wants to show her love to a boy, she'd be giving him either nachos with cheese and beer, or Crispy Creme donuts, or a Double Down KFC sandwich with a giant soda or the piece de resistance, a 72 ounce Big Texan Steak Dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch off Route 66. :wink:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

72 oz. How do you eat that?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Well Sirius.. if too fast... twice.. :mrgreen:

TC.. so what you're saying is that if a gal loves a guy, she should help him with that heart attack???? :lol:

Food portions in Japan are like half the size they are now. I'm pretty sure there is a law there against 72 oz steaks! :twisted2:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sirius wrote:72 oz. How do you eat that?
If you CAN eat it in one hour, along with all the rest of the dinner, you get it for free. If not, it's $72. Doesn't count if you keel over dead though. :P

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3087
Duper wrote:TC.. so what you're saying is that if a gal loves a guy, she should help him with that heart attack????
I can't help it if everything guys like to eat might give them a heart attack. I'm just catering to their food whims. You do know that even too much chocolate will make you fat too. :mrgreen:

By the way Duper, I was watching Andrew Zimmern's new show the other night. He was in Tokyo. All that food he was showing looked mouth-watering fantastic, even though it was in small portions. Americans could learn a thing or 2 about food serving sizes from the Japanese. I wish we had a really good Japanese restaurant in my town. The one we have in town used to be run by a nice Japanese couple, but they moved down to Eugene to start a new restaurant and left their Corvallis restaurant in the hands of some Koreans. The food is not as good tasting as it was, nor is the eating area clean either, and with sushi, one wants a scrupulously clean sushi chefs.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

A friend and I are taking a week-long trip to Japan in a few weeks. One of the things we're both absolutely looking forward to is the food. :mrgreen:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Foil, what part you heading to? Have fun!!! Take pictures!!

TC, we have a supermarket in Beaverton called Uwajimaya. They are all things Japanese, as in, you really should know how to read Japanese before going in. ;) So here, we have the ability to eat authentic food, but like I said, it helps to be able to read the packaging! :lol:
Also, there's a steakhouse in Portland that has the same challenge. Let me tell you. 72oz is a Monster cut. o_0

Krom, you speak 日本の, correct?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Foil wrote:A friend and I are taking a week-long trip to Japan in a few weeks. One of the things we're both absolutely looking forward to is the food. :mrgreen:
Remember to belch.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Duper wrote:Krom, you speak 日本の, correct?
Barely, I know enough to easily follow most anime, but I never got very far in reading kanji.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:Foil, what part you heading to? Have fun!!! Take pictures!!
We're planning on seeing a number of places around Tokyo, and taking at least two or three days for a trip out to other areas.

We'll definitely get lots of pics. :)
Spidey wrote:Remember to belch.
I've been doing some reading about food etiquette in Japan. I don't think it's appreciated. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Another no, no Foil is DO NOT eat yakatori right off the stick with your mouth and teeth. The diner is supposed to pull the food off the skewer with their chopsticks and set the piece on the plate, pick up the food morsel with those chopsticks, then consume. :wink:

If you get cable Foil, you should watch Andrew Zimmern's Delicious Destinations show where he went to Tokyo. There are a couple of restaurants he featured that you might want to sample in your travels. Damn, I'm jealous. :P

Thanks Duper. If I'm up in Beaverton, I might just check that store out. We have an Asian store here, but it doesn't sell strictly Japanese selections.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

See also:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It's cool, doesn't it ? ))) Image

[youtube]CC9dhi4fqsc[/youtube]
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

tunnelcat wrote:Another no, no Foil is DO NOT eat yakatori right off the stick with your mouth and teeth. The diner is supposed to pull the food off the skewer with their chopsticks and set the piece on the plate, pick up the food morsel with those chopsticks, then consume. :wink:
How remarkably inefficient...

Sergeant Thorne inserts the skewer end-first into his open mouth as far as he can, closes his teeth, and withdraws the now clean skewer!

Sergeant Thorne does the same with a hot wing!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne is a crude American gaijin, so he wouldn't understand Japanese ediquette. Plus, if he shoved that sqewer too far into his mouth, he'd pith his brain. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

tunnelcat wrote:Sergeant Thorne is a crude American gaijin, so he wouldn't understand Japanese ediquette. Plus, if he shoved that sqewer too far into his mouth, he'd pith his brain. :P

UUUUMMMmmm!!! :o

She said the "G" word!

:lol:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

"ediquette" = etiquette in regard to things edible? ;)

Sergeant Thorne walks away dragging his club with his pinky finger out.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hmmmmm. I should've said the "N" word. Neanderthal. :wink:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It does beg the question: if you're not meant to keep it together, why bother putting the skewer stick in the food in the first place?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So they can cook it without those tasty morsels falling into the little charcoal pits the Japanese like to use in their Yakitori restaurants I suppose. :wink: