File share issue

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

File share issue

Post by Isaac »

I drew my network setup. My problem is I can't access or ping Computer B from Computer A. However Computer B can access Computer A.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: File share issue

Post by vision »

Is your hub configurable or is it just one of those simple, plug everything in types? Any reason Computer A is on a different subnet than Computer B and the hotspot?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

vision wrote:Is your hub configurable or is it just one of those simple, plug everything in types?

It's a router designed to plug into a cable modem. But instead of a cable modem, I'm using Computer A. And it works as one, believe it or not.
vision wrote:Any reason Computer A is on a different subnet than Computer B and the hotspot?
When I followed the instructions to "Share a USB tethered connection with other computers on the network", the addresses were picked for me automatically.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Isaac wrote:It's a router designed to plug into a cable modem. But instead of a cable modem, I'm using Computer A. And it works as one, believe it or not.
Ah, as I suspected. The router has a firewall. My guess is it allows Comp-B to see A, but is blocking A from B. Try configuring the router. You might have to post on the manufacturer's forum.

A better setup would be to connect the router to the hopspot and both machines to the router, but I bet you thought of that already and there is a reason why you can't. Some routers have USB ports for that kind of setup. Mine does, though I've never used it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Buy a switch, put both computers on it, remove the router and it should work. The problem you are having is that computer B is behind NAT when there is no good reason for it.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Is Computer A also running a DHCP server? If not, you'll also have to statically configure Computer B to use Computer A's eth0 address as its gateway.

edit: You can reuse your router as a switch by taping over the Internet port and disabling its DHCP server.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Disable the DHCP server (for good measure) on the router, change the plug over from "internet" to "port 1"

done.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I guess it's one of those things where I got to keep trying stuff. So far for every change I make, I'm either breaking the internet share, file share, or both. Getting both to work at the same time seems to be something my router or computer configurations won't accept. But I'll keep trying and googling.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

do not plug the computer with the USB dongle into the WAN(Internet) port of the router, plug it into the same block of ports as the computer you a trying to share with.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

fliptw wrote:do not plug the computer with the USB dongle into the WAN(Internet) port of the router, plug it into the same block of ports as the computer you a trying to share with.
I tried that a few times with no success. So now I'm trying to locate a dumb switch (as opposed to a router with its own OS) and I think I might have a better chance.