Multiple Monitor Support

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I'm just curious, about any possiblity of a dual monitor support? I realize its probably a bit late, but something simple like a command line switch to force the rear-view to a full screen on a second monitor?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

wouldn't that require a whole rewrite?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Not necessarily an entire rewrite, but OpenGL has shoddy multiple-monitor support anyway.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by DCrazy:
Not necessarily an entire rewrite, but OpenGL has shoddy multiple-monitor support anyway.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(pssst, use GL_FRONT_LEFT and GL_FRONT_RIGHT Image )
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Toph, I'm more concerned about internal support for multiple monitors. I've had nothing but problems with multiple monitors and OGL apps. DirectX ones behave fine. Then again, it could just be my drivers. YMMV.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

yay, just what we need, a lot of flooding by people making suggestions that won't even be considered for this current release. need no delays :roll:
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah who needs multiple monitors anyway?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

multiple monitors = stupid.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Ferno wrote:multiple monitors = stupid.
Hardly.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

In D3, yes. In Photoshop and desktop real estate, of course not.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I just think it would be handy to have a rear view of a size thats actually useful. Especially for people with 17 inch monitors or (god forbid) even smaller... Even on my 19 inch monitor the rear view is so small I have to squint. I can't wear glasses when playing d3, makes my eyes hurt, A larger rear view would be very helpful.

Not a dumb idea, or "stupid"... Just would be handy if it is implementable. If not, oh well. *shrug*

Besides, someone must think the idea bears merit if they turned my post reply into a topic of its own ;)
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Blarg

Post by Fugue »

Capm wrote: Besides, someone must think the idea bears merit if they turned my post reply into a topic of its own ;)
Nope. Just wanted to keep the "Patch Status" thread talking about the patch status instead of dual monitors, which was the way it was going.
But I do like the idea, just not sure how feasable it is.

-Fugue
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Having Rear view on a full monitor would be pointless and would put others without another monitor to spare at a dissadvantage IMO. If you want to get a good glimpse behind you turn the small HUD view off and learn to use a key to switch to rear view so it is full screen on the monitor you're currently using.

I used to play D2 on the lowest resolution with the screen fully MINIMIZED on a 15" monitor just to acquire the goal of 50fps for almost 4 years, so I can't really see the hinderance of the HUD rear view being "too small" since full screen or HUD view you're only glancing at it for a split second anyways.
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Fugue »

First of all, if having a rear view mirror was pointless, I doubt that people would be asking for one. Well, this is the DescentBB, but still, to say it is pointless is foolish and inaccurate.

I agree that it would put others at a disadvantage to add a second monitor, however, just because one is put at a disadvantage does not mean that you should not add the feature. DSL and Cable modems put some people at a disadvantage, but that does not mean that we should clamp everyone's bandwitdth to that of a 33.6kbps modem. I think that if this were truly something that turned the game into something like Tragic: The Spending where only people that spent tons of money had a chance of winning. This will turn out to be something that will help a number of players, but will ultimately not cause a huge change to the way that the game is played.

You would still just be glancing at it, but now you would be able to figure out whether or not it was a ship or a missle pack that just spawned.

-Fugue
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

press f2 ingame ->setup controls-> key for full screen rear view.
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Rear Screen Key

Post by Fugue »

Thanks, but that's not really the point. I already have enough keys mapped to my joystick.

-Fugue
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Switching like that is something I want to avoid anyway, I can't glance at it if I have to hit another key. Being keys-only and on dialup, I can use all the help I can get, pressing another key to get a full screen rear view is not an option for me
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

shift F1 works
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Read the Post

Post by Fugue »

Thank you Cops, but if you read Capm's second post and my second post, it was implied that we use the rearview consistantly in one of the small windows (using the Shift F1 hack ;), however it still is not very easy to see what is actually there.

-Fugue
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Did I say that rear view was pointless? no. I merely stated that having rear view on a seperate monitor at constant fullscreen was pointless. This is my own opinion however having never really needed rear view for more then the split second tapping a key provided going around corners or sitting in a hall waiting for someone in D1/D2.

D3s rear view however is a completely different beast since a lot of the weapons in D3 don't even require you to be in sight of someone to damage them or even kill them. You lob a frag missile or impact mortar somewhere people aren't expecting and by the time they see it they've either attempted to run, took some damage, or died without knowing what hit them or just barely glimpsed at it.

This is coming from a background however, where D1/D2 were the heavily played games of choice and most of the best players either seldom used rear view or didn't use it at all. You know the times to use it but a lot of the players developed the sense to know where and when someone would show up and if having played the person or people more then a handful of times have a good idea on what weapons they'd be using when they got there.

In D1 you didn't have a choice, it was fullscreen rear view or nothing. You didn't have the option of a mini-HUD view, so from that it just became a habit to use the full screen rather then the mini-view when playing D2 and then even D3 when it finally came out.

What I'm getting at though is that as fast of a game as D3 is you'd just be glancing at your second monitor the same amount of time you'd glance at it if you'd used a key to switch to it real quick, and as such, the more time you take from watching whats going on in your main view could be the difference between a kill and a death.

Just my opinion though.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Multimonitor D3 would be wicked cool.

Back in 1999 I tried to use the Matrox zoom feature, to grab the rearview area and display it on the other monitor. It wouldn't work in 3D mode though. :(

Saying the feature would be useless is the statement of an ignorant person. It would be EXTREMELY useful. Only a person who doesn't regularly use the rearview, or doesn't have good peripheral vision would say it's useless.

But if we're gonna dream about multimonitor support, then I dream of triple head gaming - or quadhead with rearview in #4.

A thinking developer would enable multihead in such a way that you can shift the reticle to any location in config - and weapons will fire at it.

Being able to adjust the FOV manually, and set the display resolution for each monitor would also be very handy.

While we're dreaming, a drag'n'drop monitor-location config would be nice too - so you could put one on the ceiling or hanging above you.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yes mobi.. i'm ignorant..

now STFU.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

all this over rearview :roll:

Hey look, theres a impact mortar!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Know what'd be cool? If you could pick up impact mortars before they blew up and then re-launch 'em. You could set up a line of people passing impact mortars to each other for the purpose of umm...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I try that every so often -- never works tho.. :D
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

a dual monitor support would be really really cool.

i'd love it!

I talked to Do_Fuchs last week about the same Idea...
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

Doesn't D3D pretty easily support multiple monitors? I thoguht even Quake III Arena supported multipole monitors.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

D3D might, but the vast majority of D3 players run D3 on openGL since that is the recommended video option. That was the whole point to this thread, better multiple monitor support for OGL in D3.

Isn't Q3 openGL also? Can't remember off hand, been a while since I played it, but since JKII used the same engine I'm pretty sure it did.