Fake black?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Fake black?

Post by Nightshade »

A woman that posed as a an African-American (still hate these stupid hyphenated 'American' terms,) was outed by her WHITE parents.

Spokane NAACP leader Rachel Dolezal is not your typical tale of everyday cultural appropriation. Dolezal, who’s been chapter president since January of this year, is also a part-time professor in the Africana Studies Program at Eastern Washington University and chairwoman of the city’s Office of Police Ombudsman Commission. She’s come under intense scrutiny since Thursday, when her parents came forward to say that the 37 year-old had been deceptively posing as African American.
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/12/stop_ma ... orgivable/

So what should happen next, in your opinion? Will black Americans that support the NAACP be outraged, or will they accept the excuses?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Fake black?

Post by Vander »

I think it's pretty silly. Was she doing a good job?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It'll be interesting to see the reaction from most African Americans. The fact that she wanted to live as a black person and still put up with the racial baggage that goes with living as a black person in America, even today, may be her selling point to other black people. So far her NAACP chapter is supporting her.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

a very bizarre case. I, too, would love to know whether she has done a good job. If so, this is just an odd human interest story.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Uh, oh. Starting to hear rumblings of discontent.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Vander wrote:I think it's pretty silly. Was she doing a good job?
Not the point if she presented herself as black and wasn't.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Dont care if she is doing a good job, dont care if she is a white leader in the NAACP. The NAACP was founded partly by white Republicans. What I care about is that apparently she listed herself as black on several applications. Which apparently allowed her profit, which is a crime.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

CUDA wrote:Dont care if she is doing a good job, dont care if she is a white leader in the NAACP. The NAACP was founded partly by white Republicans. What I care about is that apparently she listed herself as black on several applications. Which apparently allowed her profit, which is a crime.
personal profit? How?

(personally, I don't see why ANY of us cares, but can see the issue with the local NAACP chapter, who seem rather upset at the moment, based on morning news with my coffee).
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Well judging by the NAACP's reaction, I would guess first her job? Did her application allow her admittance into howard college, an all black school. Affirmative action? What other " benefits" did she aquire from falsifying her applications.
ever read the fine print on most applications where you certify by penalty of law that all the information you provided was true and accurate.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

not disagreeing with you, CUDA, just hadn't read anything around that angle. I'll stick with my original comment that this is just sort of an odd incident. I see no reason for the general public to get all worked up, except from the usual curiousity about odd stuff.

edit--the moment after posting this, I came across something stating that she was listed as 'white' at Howard, which, by the way, is NOT exclusively limited to African Americans, but is considered a 'traditionally black college'.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sorry, I couldn't resist.
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:Dont care if she is doing a good job, dont care if she is a white leader in the NAACP. The NAACP was founded partly by white Republicans. What I care about is that apparently she listed herself as black on several applications. Which apparently allowed her profit, which is a crime.
If you mean that scholarship she got to go to Howard University, maybe, but that university accepts people from all ethnic backgrounds. It's up to those who gave her that scholarship to now press charges for fraud. There's also the working as an adjunct faculty member at Eastern Washington University under false ethnic pretenses that might catch her in a fraud charge as well.

But I've go to ask why would a white woman make herself up as black woman, then move right into the middle of our nation's hotspot of white supremacy, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho? She's had to put up with several instances of hate crime ever since she's moved there, long before this new revelation came to light. The story below is from 2010. After perusing the web, the racists in that area have really come out of the woodwork with all sorts of hate referencing her. Sad.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news ... 4a032.html
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It's like a "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" episode
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Maybe she wanted to live this for real and got a form of Stockholm Syndrome in the process.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

The plot thickens:
The NAACP official who today resigned in the face of evidence that she masqueraded as black once sued Howard University for denying her teaching posts and a scholarship because she was a WHITE woman, The Smoking Gun has learned.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... uit-786451
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

as I said earlier, a bizarre story(knew about the Howard suit when I originally wrote it). My question is(unless one lives in the region) why should anyone care? The woman clearly has issues. Sad, actually.
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

callmeslick wrote:why should anyone care?
Partly, just because it's weird and high-profile.

Partly, because of how it fits in with the broader picture of dishonesty in race-based advocacy, and in making things about race that shouldn't be (see: Dorian Johnson). It's not just that she lied about her race, it's that -- as more attention is being focused on her -- more lies are being uncovered (see http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/12/rachel-dolezal/ -- particularly the section about the swastika and other hate crime reports that "don't pass the smell test".)

Partly, because of how it fits into the even broader picture of not letting the facts get in the way of personal gain. The parallel with John Howard Griffin is interesting -- he pretended to be black and took a low profile in order to find out for himself, and tell the world, what it was like. He got a best-selling novel out of it, but he also got death threats. Whereas Rachel Dolezal appears to have been profiting financially (as a college professor of African American studies and NAACP chapter president).
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote: My question is(unless one lives in the region) why should anyone care?
Her parents must of cared as they were the one who outed her (she couldn't understand why). If they are both white and their daughter says she is black then perhaps her mother took offense as it would mean she had a night or 2 with a black man. Her father would wonder the same thing and feel cuckolded. For a college professor she is not very bright.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Lothar wrote:
callmeslick wrote:why should anyone care?
Partly, just because it's weird and high-profile.

Partly, because of how it fits in with the broader picture of dishonesty in race-based advocacy, and in making things about race that shouldn't be (see: Dorian Johnson). It's not just that she lied about her race, it's that -- as more attention is being focused on her -- more lies are being uncovered (see http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/12/rachel-dolezal/ -- particularly the section about the swastika and other hate crime reports that "don't pass the smell test".)

Partly, because of how it fits into the even broader picture of not letting the facts get in the way of personal gain. The parallel with John Howard Griffin is interesting -- he pretended to be black and took a low profile in order to find out for himself, and tell the world, what it was like. He got a best-selling novel out of it, but he also got death threats. Whereas Rachel Dolezal appears to have been profiting financially (as a college professor of African American studies and NAACP chapter president).

sounds like someone is trying to stretch one bizarre case to reaffirm his own convictions to me. Sorry, just my read of the above words. Life, all walks of life, are prone to poseurs, fakers and frauds. However, those tend to be pretty rare, and I figure no less so in the field of race-based advocacy than in any other. Now the part about personal gain puzzles me simply because of the longshot nature of success, and the arduous path over several years to get where she actually profitted. Does her plan strike you as the sensible, logical path to success?
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

A large section of my post was about how "all walks of life, are prone to poseurs, fakers and frauds" -- but because the example I gave in that section was John Howard Griffin, you missed that larger point in favor the more narrow point you expected me to make. People do all sorts of crazy stuff for personal gain (Joseph Smith is a favorite example.) Given that Rachel Dolezal apparently self-identified as white only a few years ago, it seems likely (though not certain) that she changed her identity at least in part for personal gain. Not that she wouldn't have been able to be a professor or an NAACP chapter president while obviously white, or that it didn't take a lot of hard work to get there... but I have a strong suspicion that she thought pretending to be black would provide her with an advantage. (No, that doesn't mean it was a "logical" course of action. People sometimes do all sorts of things that look dumb as hell after the fact, but made sense to them in the moment.)

Also, I don't know if race-based advocacy is particularly more or less prone to posers, fakes, and frauds than other fields. What I do know is that it's a field where posers, fakes, and frauds are particularly harmful. Some of the biggest setbacks to racial reconciliation efforts have been caused by real issues, but a lot of them have been caused by somebody manufacturing drama -- the "hands up, don't shoot" lie caused huge amounts of damage and trauma, particularly for people living in Ferguson and dealing with the fallout. There's been so much of that sort of crap in recent years, I think the public is overly sensitized and easily irritated by it.

Like, if I'd heard about Rachel Dolezal 5 years ago, I would've thought it was an amusing story of fraud for personal gain (ie, paragraph 1) and no more than that. But hearing about it in the current social climate, it's amplified into something more. It's sort of symbolic of the way the noise of race-baiting has drown out the signal of actual race-related issues that are worthy of addressing.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Lothar wrote: Like, if I'd heard about Rachel Dolezal 5 years ago, I would've thought it was an amusing story of fraud for personal gain (ie, paragraph 1) and no more than that. But hearing about it in the current social climate, it's amplified into something more. It's sort of symbolic of the way the noise of race-baiting has drown out the signal of actual race-related issues that are worthy of addressing.
which comes full circle, in a sense, to the level of discourse matter we discussed last week.
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rachel ... ar-AAbIbe3

finding herself in this hole, the woman should put the shovel down and stop digging. Cue the hospital baby pics in 3,2,1.....
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

In this era of transsexuals and now transracials...I am declaring that I'm a trans-GOD. Therefore, you shall all have to worship me and pay tribute (otherwise I'll go crazy and sue you for causing my psychotic breakdown.) :roll:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Why even worry? Who cares? Live your own life and quit worrying about the lives of others. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I really feel sorry for this woman…because…you know…

Once you go black, you can never go back. :oops:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

sadly, THIS piece of humor hits the nail on the head.........

George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:sadly, THIS piece of humor hits the nail on the head.........

Closer to reality than you mightt think.

People haven't noticed that we're on the brink of a market crash so devastating that it'll make the 2008 crash seem like a mouse fart in comparison.

That might be the real reason Jade Helm and other internal urban military training is taking place in earnest. Coming massive civil unrest due to economic collapse.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

why on Earth would you see an economic collapse coming? Right now, we are nowhere near any key indicators. Yes, at some time, I expect a correction of about 20%, which SOUNDS scary until you realize that the 2007-2009 dump was 50%, essentially.
As for the Jade Helm stuff, if you are dumb enough to buy into that crap, heaven help you.
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote: As for the Jade Helm stuff, if you are dumb enough to buy into that crap, heaven help you.
Why? It makes sense to prepare if you know something is coming - and that's what the government is preparing for.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

preparing for urban warfare(which isn't well done in Western Texas, to my mind) would seem part and parcel of any modern approach to military strategy worldwide, as insurgency movements tend to get rooted into urban environments. Your take, above, seems closer to paranoid and doomsday scenarios and may sell to preppers, but I don't buy it. I've ridden through about 6 financial crises since I've been responsible for managing my family's money. I see nothing too scary on the horizon at the moment, and still haven't seen any response from you as to what YOU were referring to.
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

An epilogue: