Descent 1 - 100% walkthrough on insane

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1 - 100% walkthrough on insane

Post by Marvin »

Hi, I was looking for some good walkthrough of D1 on insane in past, but didn't find anything worth of. I only found really old spooty's gameplay, which is not very good and also not finished (I know he can do it easily and better, if he wants). The only finished run was by Calmarius, who even played it cold and finished all levels over 100hp, what is really great! But on the other hand, he skipped many areas. So I decided to make another run, with some different criterias and "rules":

- no saves during the level
- destroying every single mech in the game, even from matcens
- no silly and cowardly techniques like shooting with lasers behind the corner or long camping at safe position until mechs fall into the trap
- saving all hostages
- showing all secret areas and hidden doors.
- no unnecessary waste of time anywhere to make it entertaining to watch

In case there is someone interested, there is a link:

Btw played in D1X-Rebirth with keyboard only.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Descent 1 - 100% walkthrough on insane

Post by vision »

Looks good. I play roughly the same way except I only do cold starts and I use a mouse. There are only three levels in D1 that give me a hard time. I'm looking forward to comparing your paths with mine.
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

I guess 2 of them are 11 and 19? Maybe I will also try 100% runs cold start in the future. Do you have some replays? Would be cool, if I can see your paths too :).
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I was doing cold start insane runs a few years ago.

I should get back to that and finish those. I think I've got half the game done?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Marvin wrote:I guess 2 of them are 11 and 19?
You know it! And occasionally Level 9 because so many spiders, plus there is a considerable amount of bot roam. I can get through the level in about 15 minutes, which isn't too bad.
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

Avder wrote:I was doing cold start insane runs a few years ago.

I should get back to that and finish those. I think I've got half the game done?
I saw your 22nd level on youtube long time ago. Nice work there.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Marvin wrote:
Avder wrote:I was doing cold start insane runs a few years ago.

I saw your 22nd level on youtube long time ago. Nice work there.
Eh, that one's okay. I think my level 6 5:43 run is my favorite of my few published runs.

I've watched a few of yours so far, and I'm so jealous of you starting level 8 with quad 4's and 10 homers. That level is hell from a cold start when you're going for time.

About the only rule differences is that I ignore matcen spawns if possible and I don't make it a point to open all secret doors, since descent doesn't track secrets. I ignore matcen spawns because quite frankly it's boring sitting there and killing spawned bot after spawned bot, so it's sort of an entertainment value thing. If possible I try not to make them spawn at all. I guess my mindset was I was trying to make those as entertaining as possible and having to stop and shoot spawned bots adds a lengthy boring part. If they're in my way or will be in my way I'll shoot them.

I've got levels 2-8 and S2 on my hard drive. I think I got stuck on level 9 when life got busy and it killed a lot of my interest. So many damned roaming robots. I think I'll get back to it in a few weeks.

Also decent capture software for my aging machine. I got frustrated with that.
Marvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Marvin »

I get your point with matcens and agree, it is often boring. But my objective in this "project" was make it through and through. I'm not speedrunning at all, primarily it's a walkthrough. So that is the reason I also show all hidden areas. Btw some matcens are actually not boring but quite chalenging, for example at the end of level 20 :). Anyway, if I will start playing it cold in the future, I will definitely play it with same rules as you.