SCOTUS upholds right of gays to marry

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: SCOTUS upholds right of gays to marry

Post by callmeslick »

that whole hyphenation thing gets real clumsy after a few generatons. Names resemble stuff out of Spanish nobility.......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Here's another little bit for consideration.

Canada has had gay marriage legal for ten years. The country didn't self-destruct, we didn't get taken over by north korea, people didn't start to try and marry horses or dogs, and no harems came up... life went on.

so yeah congratulations to america for catching up to the rest of the world.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Actually I think we're doing better than Australia now, which is kind of fun.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

So by the basis of this ruling. Based upon the 14th amendment and the constitutional right for me to bear arms. Did the SCOTUS just make it illegal for any state, city, or principality to deny me my CCWP?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

interesting question, actually, CUDA. If the court holds to the current(20 year old, or so) interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, no. However, you might be surprised at the outcome of the judicial test, based on Scalia's view that the 2nd does not preclude restrictions on carry or regulation of handguns.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Depends…

Marriage was declared a “fundamental right” but gun ownership is a “protected right” subject to restrictions.

I think we may see a lot of worms crawling out of a lot of cans.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

vision wrote:
Spidey wrote:Adopting the name of your spouse is more than just tradition, it serves to solidify the union as well as other legal purposes.
While we are on the topic, I'm against that name-changing business. For too long it has been a symbol of patriarchy. The "tradition" is the man owns the woman and is branded with his name. Sure, you might not think of it that way, but that's the history.
I kinda do see it that way too, and it doesn't sit well with me. Even though these days it's mostly tradition, I still can't help but feel like a woman sacrifices part of herself to the man when she takes up his family name. Back here two-part surnames are growing increasingly popular though.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Xfing wrote:
vision wrote:While we are on the topic, I'm against that name-changing business.
I kinda do see it that way too, and it doesn't sit well with me.
I like the idea of the couple choosing a new name together and both changing it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Xfing wrote:I kinda do see it that way too, and it doesn't sit well with me. Even though these days it's mostly tradition, I still can't help but feel like a woman sacrifices part of herself to the man when she takes up his family name. Back here two-part surnames are growing increasingly popular though.
Since my maiden name came from my step father adopting me, it was preferable to take on my husband's last name when I married. It sounds better too. Kids used to make up bad names with my adopted name while I was in school, so there was no love lost.

By the way, I didn't know that "religious liberty" is not a "right". I see the new angle religious conservatives are going to take after this decision.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I find it astounding, TC, that some folks are claiming that this ruling infringes upon their religious freedom. If you are a sworn public official, and the nation is founded on a strict separation of Church and State, you HAVE to uphold the law. If that inpinges on your religion, quit the government job. Otherwise, it isn't as if any church has to recognize the wedding if it violates their beliefs, nor do any churches HAVE to perform weddings(already one blatant lie circulated about that in Utah circles a year back and long debunked, by the way). How does this impact anyone's religious beliefs?
George Orwell---"1984"
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

It stuns me that they would claim that's the case, while really it is a civil rights issue -- and always has been a civil rights issue.

What's really going on is they're saying 'yes, you can get married, but only if you match what WE think you should match'.

But in ten years' time (or earlier I hope), americans are just going to think of marriage between two of the same gender as no big deal.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Ferno wrote:But in ten years' time (or earlier I hope), americans are just going to think of marriage between two of the same gender as no big deal.
This is already the case.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:interesting question, actually, CUDA. If the court holds to the current(20 year old, or so) interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, no. However, you might be surprised at the outcome of the judicial test, based on Scalia's view that the 2nd does not preclude restrictions on carry or regulation of handguns.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't part of the decision for the right to gays marrying based on the fact 36 states already approved and SCOTUS brought the rest of the states in line? As such, Cuda's point is the same. If the vast majority of states have relaxed CCW then shouldn't the other few be brought in line?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:interesting question, actually, CUDA. If the court holds to the current(20 year old, or so) interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, no. However, you might be surprised at the outcome of the judicial test, based on Scalia's view that the 2nd does not preclude restrictions on carry or regulation of handguns.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't part of the decision for the right to gays marrying based on the fact 36 states already approved and SCOTUS brought the rest of the states in line? As such, Cuda's point is the same. If the vast majority of states have relaxed CCW then shouldn't the other few be brought in line?
actually, as stated the right to marry was stated to be a 'fundamental right'. As I noted, you might try and make a case for CCW, but it might be rejected. Even Scalia likely wouldn't go that way.
George Orwell---"1984"
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Your freedom ends where other people's starts. So if taking away your freedom to discriminate impinges upon your religious liberty, then tough luck - the freedom of people you discriminated against comes first.

Why do so many people go that way, anyway? How does not serving gays at a restaurant help maintain your "moral integrity"? so weird.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Xfing wrote:Why do so many people go that way, anyway? How does not serving gays at a restaurant help maintain your "moral integrity"? so weird.

It's a BS argument meant to disguise the fact they find gays "icky".
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Twisting themselves into knots, even a year ago. But mark my words, the religious lobby is going for defining "religious liberty" as a right, a codified right to be bigots.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/religious ... itics.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

It'll be thrown out before it makes second reading.

First amendment will see to that.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Vander wrote:
Ferno wrote:But in ten years' time (or earlier I hope), americans are just going to think of marriage between two of the same gender as no big deal.
This is already the case.
No it really isn't. Or do you reserve the right to pick and choose which portion of the country is "America?"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Taken as a whole, Thorne, over 2/3 of your fellow citizens accept that fact right now. Less that 20% are opposed to the point of suggesting overturning the ruling. The poster suggesting we're 'already there' may be a tad optimistic, but we're getting there.
George Orwell---"1984"
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Or do you reserve the right to pick and choose which portion of the country is "America?"
Don't we all?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I don't know about that, Vander. I'm pretty inclusive, and don't see where the statement was incorrect.
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Real American fallacy. No real American would allow gay marriage.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

vision wrote:Real American fallacy. No real American would allow gay marriage.
Interesting twist on no-true-scotsman
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

vision wrote:Real American fallacy. No real American would allow gay marriage.
Except it was Vander that defined “America” as a group that didn’t include everyone, and ST had every right to take offence.

And then of course you had to twist what he said into something he never said.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Simmer down there. I don't have time to explain comments to you that other people have no trouble understanding.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No need to explain the comment, I already know what it means.

Maybe you should include more context, so us dumb people won’t jump to conclusions…because I’m pretty sure you aimed that comment at ST.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Spidey wrote:Except it was Vander that defined “America” as a group that didn’t include everyone, and ST had every right to take offence.
How dare you suggest I don't speak for every single American.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

:shock: :)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Vander wrote:
Spidey wrote:Except it was Vander that defined “America” as a group that didn’t include everyone, and ST had every right to take offence.
How dare you suggest I don't speak for every single American.
of course you do, but only on alternate Wednesdays. Tomorrow is Spidey's turn. :wink:
George Orwell---"1984"