"Invalid" system disk...."

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I installed a second Maxtor 5T040H4 HD. The specs say that I don't need to set a jumper to make it a slave.

When I bootup I get the following message: "Searching for Boot record from Floppy..Not found
Saerching for Boot record from IDE-1..OK

Invalis System disk
Replace the disk and then press any ket."

So I press any key and the computer boots and I can see the "Slave".

What's up w/ the message?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Make sure the other drive is set to Master and the new drive is set to slave (probably the factory default setting from the sound of it). If the orignal drive is a western digital they have a setting for master w/slave present, you should set it like that.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

It's a Seagate and there is a setting for master/ slave which I tried without success.

I also went into the BIOS and then back out again in case that was something I needed to do.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sounds like cable selection to me -- swap the IDE connectors, ie. connect the new drive to the one your boot drive is connected to and connect the boot drive to the former free one. leave the disk M/S selection at auto.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Switched cables still same problem.
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

what motherboard u got?

if you are absolutely positive that u hooked everything up right, then check the BIOS out..

on my ic7 and now on my ic7-max3 there is a hard drive booting priority setting, which allows me to pick a main hard drive...basically i had the same setup as u, one master with OS installed, and i installed a slave drive...but in the BIOS the slave drive had teh boot priority for some reason...and the system wasn't booting, so i had to change priority back to the master, although physically everything was hooked up right.
Jagger
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Jagger »

Floppy in the floppy drive? ;) May sound stupid, but that stumped a whole lab full of engineers at my work once. :P
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Jagger wrote:Floppy in the floppy drive? ;) May sound stupid, but that stumped a whole lab full of engineers at my work once. :P
That was my first thought :)
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

No floppy unfortunatley.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Well, cabling and master slave settings aside... You have to partition and format the drive before it will work, you have done that... right?
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Sorry for the lack of information.

I was using this drive is a slave on another computer. It has data on it and I can read once the computer boots up.

I'm going to get some more information on Seagate.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Might be worth trying cable select.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

OK, here's the deal.

After switching jumpers, cables, and anything else I can think of with no success, I went back into the BIOS again.

Under "Advanced Settings", I found that a second Boot Device which was the hard drive was set to "Second IDE-HDD" instead of the "First IDE-HDD.

The computer now boots up with the master and slave both working.

This was a machine I inherited and most likely was set up this way from the beginning.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.