D2 Level 24 help requested

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2 Level 24 help requested

Post by Gremalcon »

Please, I seriously need good solid information on how to open the parts of the two rings that intersect the oval. I have shot guided missiles in and killed the lou guards. I have flown GMs in to look around and I cannot see a switch. If someone knows how to open this area up, I would appreciate the help.

Also, in the area between the two rings, there is a similar area. I can open the one with all the gauss rounds, but cannot find the way to open the one with the earth shaker. Please, spoil me.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Are you talking about the place where you have to shoot a gm through the grate to open a door, then shoot another to hit a switch behind the door before it closes?
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

If that's the case, I will never open it. When I played with a P200, on win95, those gm moved slow enough that I could accurately steer them. Now, on a PIII 1000 and win xp, it is impossible to steer them well enough to do that.

What about the grates between the two rings? There are two earthshakers in there and I sure would love to have em.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Can't you do some kind of frame rate cap in d2?

I can't recall all the secret doors in that level. In the boss's lair, there are doors at the bottom and top where weapons and power ups are.

My d2 disc quit working and I haven't been able to install it for a while. Otherwise, I'd replay the level.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

De Rigueur wrote:Can't you do some kind of frame rate cap in d2?
Yes, in 3 ways:

1) play on a crappy old system
2) use a voodoo card, d2_3dfx, and vsync
3) run D2x and hope it works for you

If you're playing D2 without a frame cap and you're over about 120 FPS, you're going to have significant problems.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I suppose he could also lower his front side bus speed to slow down his system -- it's the next best thing to having a crappy old system.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

Well, I just did a LOT of reloads, until I was able to hit that switch. As for the earthshakers, I used rockrgrl to get a full map and I see that you get to them from inside the boss area. Thanks for the help. I would not have known about opening the door, then trying to hit the switch. I appreciate that little bit of info. Now I am on to try killing the boss. I have 5 megas and 7 or 8 earthshakers. I also have a full set of guided too. I should be able to take him out.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

6 shakers is adequate to take him out, even on insane, as long as you land them all.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Also, be sure to make good use of the cloaks that are tucked away here and there in the boss room. They'll make your job a lot easier.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Use the shakers like smart missiles, fire them at the walls behind the boss, that way you will easly hit the weak point on his back.

Once I did him in by setting up a chain of ALL 30 smart mines you can carry close enough together that they would set each other off. I grabbed a invul then shot at him, got him to face me while the mines were beind them and hit them once with the gauss cannon, they all went off at once and the little homers killed him in one hit.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

Well, I am playing hotshot and he has killed me a couple times. I am trying to sit back and use all my guided missiles to hit his weak spot, before trying to use the invis and hit him with the earth shakers. It is certainly a challenge.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Sometimes I set up camp outside the red door by the original starting point. Taunt him with guided missiles and wait for him to show up, then shoot a shaker behind him. From that position you can easily dodge his shakers because they go into that little alcove and can't track you.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

huh... I never found the guideds to be worthwhile. There are enough cloaks and invulns around that I could usually just take him directly (grab a cloak, use it to get to an invuln, then nail him in the back with 3 shakers. Go get another invuln, nail him in the back with 3 more shakers. Find one last cloak if he's still not dead...)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

One way I kill the framerate is open both rear-views and use a center view for the GM, not full screen. This should bring it down to bearable.
Gremalcon
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gremalcon »

I have finally killed the last boss and frickin dravis screwed up my warpcore. Now, I have to install D3 again and go kill dravis and win my money, hehehe. Got that boss with my very last earthshaker.