Let's Play CTF! Round #5!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Let's Play CTF! Round #5!

Post by Lady Silver »

The next Descent 3 CTF game will be this Friday!

Date: Friday, Sep 11th
Time: 10:00 pm EST
Place: Atmos v 1.1 & Halfpipe

We will start out in Atmos v1.1, moving onto Halfpipe afterwards.
These games can be found using the descent trackers, but I will also provide the IP addresses later on.

Please let me know if you plan to make it; I like having an idea of how many pilots are coming so I can lure more pilots in with the numbers. ;)

This invite is also being posted on the Descent Champions Ladder and the Descendant Studios forums.

Thanks goes to Foil for once again hosting the servers for us!

LET'S PLAY CTF! :D
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Let's Play CTF! Round #5!

Post by Lady Silver »

The level Atmos v1.1 should be automatically downloadable when the servers are up, but here's a link just in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3db6rd9x81ww ... s.mn3?dl=0
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lady Silver »

Here are the IP addresses:

Atmos v1.1 : 73.34.23.92:2095
Halfpipe: 73.34.23.92:2096

Game is in 1 hour pilots!
I'll meet you in Atmos!
Prepare for Descent! 8-)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I'm here!
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lady Silver »

Thorne, don't you have another thread to spam? :roll:

Last night's game was great fun! Thanks to all who flew!

We started out as a small group in Atomos, but we grew to 8 pilots and we had an enjoyable game. I thought it was a good level. My only complaint about it is this: Need moar weapons! It needs more MD refills, and more weapon spawn areas outside. But aside from that I had a great time! After playing a few rounds in there, we moved on to the Fury levels.

Originally we were going to play in Halfpipe, but the server looped all the fury levels and we joined when it was running Infernal, which was...interesting? So small and full of craziness! Trying time and time again to get past a tank camping in the tiny room above the flag/fire pit?...Painful! Switching the flip and watching your enemies burn while listening to them jokingly curse you on Mumble... Priceless. ;) We had a fun time :D

Next Fury level was Insomniac. That was thoroughly enjoyed by all. I know one really shouldn't fly down the long "gun barrel" of a tunnel to get to or from the flag room, but I just couldn't help it; and I paid for it frequently. ;)

Final game was played in Fury level Taurus. It took me a little while to figure out how to tell which base was which without actually sticking my nose in there to see (it really hurt to accidentally fly into the wrong base after playing keep-away with the flag). Finally I realized the lighting was different in the level depending on which base you were near. That still didn't keep me from having a few sudden bouts of colorblindness though. :P
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I didn't much care for Atomos -- wide open levels like that tend to bring out my D3-netcode hatred. The server is in the same city as me, I've got a great ping, but sometimes ships are just warping and jittering, and it's hard to counter if I can't get them into a tight enough space.

The infernal game was like hungry hungry hippos -- non-stop active chaos. Oh, and it ended 20-19. In spite of it being kind of a crazy level for CTF, it was the most fun I had all night.

Insomniac was a really good map. Will probably be my go-to in place of Polaris -- it's a bit better connected and proportioned, and the forward spawn points create a dynamic that's tilted toward motion. Protecting your own flag requires a more proactive effort, rather than just hanging back and sniping people who approach. You have to hunt people.

Taurus had me cursing Foil for leaving BP banned in the configuration. I was in there in a GL with screwy autoselects :P It was a wild level where all of the strengths of all of the ships have an opportunity to shine. Trifusion was nasty in the hallways, but so was having the speed to really launch a mortar around a corner. Vauss and MD in the semi-open areas, microwave/plasma/laser spam, and all the missiles were effective in their own ways. This was another close match, I think 20-16 or 20-17.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Lady Silver, very sorry that you did not record the video of these battles. It's always nice to remember even after a long time. https://www.youtube.com/user/6DoFan
As you probably understand, I do not like CTF. Death match and co-op is what I like.
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lady Silver »

LOL Hungry Hungry Hippo's! I remember that game!

Sigma: If I remember correctly, recording demos inside of D3 messes up the frame-rate in the game. And I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to record games using an alternative program. I know Roncli can do that. I'll see if he can record the CTF game the next time he joins us!
sigma wrote:As you probably understand, I do not like CTF
No, I do not understand, :) but I will accept it as a hard fact.

Deathmatch = Anarchy? Let's play sometime!
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

:)
Of course, recording software slows reaction. But I am ready to sacrifice this sometimes.
Deathmatch = Anarchy :) I have not played for a long time online Descent, really need to update my impressions.
Oh, and do not use the demo recording inside Descent 3, it's very poorly done actually.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

How about some D2 hoard matches sometime?

Or Shakers?

Or both?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Avder wrote:How about some D2 hoard matches sometime?

Or Shakers?

Or both?
We play those from time to time.

http://retro-tracker.game-server.cc/arc ... TRAES.html
http://retro-tracker.game-server.cc/arc ... adth2.html
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Lady Silver wrote:Originally we were going to play in Halfpipe, but the server looped all the fury levels...
Ergh, sorry about that. I neglected the server setting to keep it on the selected level in the set. My apologies.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Lothar wrote:Taurus had me cursing Foil for leaving BP banned in the configuration.
That's another one I missed, my bad again. My apologies for setting up the games so hurriedly.
Lady Silver
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lady Silver »

Foil, we all had a blast regardless! We owe you for hosting these up for us! Thank you so much! :D

Besides, if you had just left it on Halfpipe, we never would have discovered the craziness that is CTF in Infernal !! :lol:

I really hope you can join us one of these days. :)

I'm not sure when the next CTF game will be; I don't think the usual 2 weeks out are going to work for me this time. I'll let you guys know!

Avder: As far as Descent 2 hoard or shakers go, I never really got into D2; I've only played it a handful of times. By all means though, set something up and spread the word around! I know there are earthshaker fans out there. It might even be as simple as hopping on the rangers mumble channel and hosting a game during prime gaming time, which is usually anywhere between 8pm and 1am EST.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

By the way, I remembered another one my account. There are also fun demo records :)
http://rutube.ru/video/person/277785/