Vanishing WU notification

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Vanishing WU notification

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was wondering why I didn't get the usual Windows Update notification in my System Tray this month (Windows 7). So I went into Windows Update and sure enough, there were 185 megs of updates, sitting there just waiting for me, all from earlier in the month. There was also a single Hotfix that never showed up either that must have appeared sometime before the September regular update release. I did some Googling and found this:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... ystem-Tray

It seems that the icon has disappeared since the August Update and that's why no notifications have appeared since, at least for some people. Anyone here also notice this and has it been fixed with the September Update cycle, which I just performed, or do I have to wait until October to see if it works again?

The posters recommend uninstalling KB3065987, but I don't even have that one installed and it sounds like things don't go well if you do uninstall it. The theory is that MS messed around with the WU icon because of their attempts to upgrade everyone to Win 10 (no, I'm not going to upgrade this machine to Win 10 in the foreseeable future) in August and screwed up the notification for Win 7 users. I DO happen to have KB3075851 installed, which was maybe supposed to fix some issue with KB3065987, but since I don't have that one installed, I wonder if that's causing the problem? If MS doesn't fix things, I'm going to have to manually check for windows updates once a week from now on. :x

A note to anyone who's not in love with MS telemetry gathering. It appears that MS pushed what was an optional update last month, KB3083324, to an important update THIS month, so everyone now has it. It may be one of those clandestine MS telemetry spyware updates. But MS isn't saying. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Vanishing WU notification

Post by Spidey »

Yea, I lost notifications on both of my online machines. I chalk it up to MS trying to screw up people’s Win 7 installs, leaving them no choice but to upgrade.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I just checked my Win 7 and I had 2 updates plus Win 10.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

There are new updates listed today. Notification icon still not showing in Win 7. Stupid Microsoft. :x
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

One of the nice things about my Windows Home Server 2011 setup at home is that it has a system-health alert for every machine attached to it.

This morning after the monthly MS update cycle, I had a "[machine] has updates available" alert for every one of my Windows boxes.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, that's just ducky. I have to manually "check" all 3 of my machines. Why can't Microsoft get it's act together? I don't even think they realize that they broke the damned icon in Windows 7 when they updated the looks of the little booger for Windows 10. If you start the update process and when it appears in the system tray, you WILL notice that they changed it's appearance, which was sometime last August or September I believe.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »