Just Cause 3

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Just Cause 3

Post by Krom »

So hype.

If this game turns out to be even half the time waster that JC2 was, you may need to find a new administrator. ;) :P

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Just Cause 3

Post by sigma »

:lol: that's the kind! It looks finger-licking good :D well that is including in the Russian language
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Damn Krom. When do you find time to eat, sleep, or play anything else? :P

You do know that JC3 is going to be more of a desert environment? Isn't that going to be a little more boring than the tropical paradise of JC2? Things are just more fun with water around. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

JC2 was almost more snowy mountains and desert than tropical forest itself, but from what I've seen JC3 will have a bit more variety. So they cranked up the impossibly close climate zones a little bit.

I wonder if it will have storms like the awesome electrical storms in Mad Max (A game you should definitely play through while waiting for JC3 to come out. PC version runs like greased lightning so I highly recommend it.).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll have to check Mad Max out. The reviews were kinda ho hum though on the action once you got out of your car though. Do you use a controller to drive the cars? I also wonder if they sell the DVD disk version? I'm starting to get locked out of new games because most of these game companies are no longer offering the DVD's in the U.S. and downloading them is akin to watching paint dry.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I think there is a disk version, but you would still need to sit through a couple gigabytes of patches before you could play (its a steamworks game).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Crap. The DVD version is unavailable. I'm currently working to get a 25mbps connection, which is the fastest CenturyLink offers here. Having to download every game I'd like to buy is unreasonable at 1.5mbps.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Just gonna have to suck it up and download it overnight for a few days. Given the preload windows are usually pretty generous you will probably even be able to play it the day it launches anyway.

And 1.5 mbps is better than what I used to be on (600 kbps). But uhhh...not as good as what I am on currently:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I'll be forced to do that if I want any new games. But I'm interested in SOMA right now. I can't decide if I want SOMA or Mad Max yet. Decisions, decisions. On another topic, has anyone here tried out the new Steam Controller yet? It's selling for 50 bucks on Amazon right now.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Personally I have not tried and not going to try.
But for those who still want to play on that controller, there are inspiring information from STEAM - "In Russia, to buy through Steam it will be impossible, so we are waiting for suppliers." :roll:

B E A UTIFUL!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

That's just mean, Krom. :D Only a raging, flaming, incorrigible, unrepentant ahole would taunt us like that. :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Ferno wrote:That's just mean, Krom. :D Only a raging, flaming, incorrigible, unrepentant ahole would taunt us like that. :P
Monkey makes faces the moon, thinking that the moon mocks her.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom has absolutely no shame for us poor slobs stuck in cave man land. :P

Sigma makes no sense.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

he needs a translator.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Actually sigma makes perfect sense. Krom is the moon, you guys are the monkeys... :P
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If Krom is the moon and everyone else are monkeys, I'm gettin' out my portal gun. :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom, do you play JC2 with a controller, or a keyboard and mouse? I just started playing it again and it is addicting. I'd gotten ticked off a while back when I'd moved my OS to an SSD and somehow, my JC2 save games vanished when I moved my Steam Library over to the original OS HHD. I guess they weren't being saved in the Steam Cloud. My bad. Hours of play, gone. Got to start all over again. :roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Keyboard and mouse. I've tried a couple controllers but never liked any of them, and I don't really have the time to learn a new controller these days anyway.

Just FYI, JC2 save games are stored in \Steam\userdata\[yourusernumberhere]\8190\remote\

If you still have the copy of steam on your old hard drive, they will still be there and you can just copy them over to the same folder within steam on the new install.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll look for that directory, but I moved my entire steam library to the HHD that used to contain the OS and something vanished once that was done. I've also since restarted the game and saved out new slots, so I'm probably screwed.

Something else cropped up too. The game likes to lock up, hard, when a particular enemy jeep shows up to start attacking my character. I can go all over the map without a problem, but if I start a firefight and that jeep shows up and NPC's start shooting, bam, everything freezes, requiring the three fingered salute to terminate the game. I've already validated the game files, which wants to download a 5 mg file every time I do it. I don't know why that file constantly needs redownloading. I had the same problem with a file for Dead Island. I'm going to try turning off decals and bokeh to see if that fixes the problem for now. I'm guessing it's a driver issue since I'm running a newer Nvidia driver on my GTX 680 since the last time I played JC2.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Ya, JC2 crashes to the desktop any time there is any significant combat going on for me unless I turn off decals (everything else is fine, just decals), apparently a lot of people have the same problem.

Also steam has opened up the preloads for it, but it apparently isn't actually ready yet since it says it is only 116 MB... :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll try turning off just the decals first. On an older driver, I never had this issue even after hours of play.

Have you watched the first hour of JC3 Krom? (EDIT: Of course you have. :wink: ) People seem to like it so far. It does look fantastic. If I have to wait for a download, this game looks like the one, although 53 gigs is A LOT. I hope an Nvidia GTX 680 will be enough to run the thing, it is just above the minimum req.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Actually I haven't watched that video yet, don't know if I will. Especially since it will unlock in less than a week anyway, although I don't have much spare time and I won't have much spare time for about the next three weeks because it is the busy time at work, so finding an hour to watch a video is kind of taxing and I'd rather save it for actually playing it myself. :P

Also, just punched go on the preload, and the download size is 38.5 GB (probably some download saved in compression).
Edit: And done preloading. Steam CDNs didn't really bring the A game tonight, leveled off at about 70 MB/sec and the peak was only 73.7... :frown: :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom, you're a sadist. Plus, JC2 locked up again when it was trying to load a faction mission. Everything was going so well after turning off decals and bokeh too. $#%@!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I've got everything on but decals and didn't have any major issues when I did a 100% run over the summer (takes about ~40 hours). Although some of that may be because I run JC2 with vsync (or g-sync actually).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm using g-sync as well and everything else is maxed out. What Nvidia driver are you running? I'll try turning bokeh back on and see what happens too. By the way, I have an old Steam Userdata backup on a spare drive that may have my old progress. What I'd like to know is if any type of disk letter information is coded in those save games? I ask because those saves came from when Steam was located on another drive. If there's no drive letter info, can I just copy that over to the newer save directory and continue?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Oh man, this game looks like it's going to be a blast! A person could stand to skip the first video entirely. That's what I watched the first time I saw your post here, Krom, and then changed the channel, so to speak. "Yeah, graphics upgrade, the guy's gained a little weight... something about a wing-suit... whatever". I just watched the rest of the videos, and they pretty much had me at the cruising along the ground with the wing-suit and grapple. You can basically fly in this game. ;) It looks like they've fixed/improved just about everything that needed fixing or improving in JC2 (which I had a lot of fun playing). Definitely going to give it a go. Going to be well-worth the money, by the looks of it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

tunnelcat wrote:I'm using g-sync as well and everything else is maxed out. What Nvidia driver are you running? I'll try turning bokeh back on and see what happens too. By the way, I have an old Steam Userdata backup on a spare drive that may have my old progress. What I'd like to know is if any type of disk letter information is coded in those save games? I ask because those saves came from when Steam was located on another drive. If there's no drive letter info, can I just copy that over to the newer save directory and continue?
I've moved my save games around to different drive letters before with no problems, they don't store any paths (and if they do, they are relative or stored in the registry).

As for drivers, I've always been keeping them up to date, so pretty consistently the latest whql versions at the time.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've hesitated on getting the latest drivers, especially since I'm not on Windows 10 and anything above 350.12 reportedly screws up Deus Ex's game graphics, which I still have in my library and play sometimes.

Thanks for the save game info. I'll plug in my backup drive and see if there are copies of my JC2 savegames and see if some older versions are still there. I gather I can just copy one into that directory and the game will see it?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Since you have done newer save games after moving to the new drive, I would launch the game to the main menu, then alt-tab out, copy the save game files in, and alt-tab back in then load them and re-save them just to defeat any cloud syncing from reverting to the latest ones you didn't want to keep. And I'm currently running the 359.00 windows 10 whql drivers, but I haven't played JC2 on them since installing them. But I have played JC2 ion windows 10 using an older 356 or 358 set and it worked fine.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, no such luck. All my backups are post OS move. Rats. So I'm plugging away at JC2 again. It's still fun all over again. I am going to have to turn off bokeh again though. I'm getting weird stretched-up-into-the sky buildings in one area and a bad guy training camp that I can walk through everything and a bridge that can't be walked or driven over, just through. :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Well ★■◆●, this unlocked TONIGHT. If you pre-ordered it and pre-loaded it on steam the actual unlock time was globally at midnight GMT. Which means about 4 PM pacific time today, so I already played through the first few missions (everything from that first hour video plus one additional mission) to get the critical upgrades and then proceeded to just buzz around in the wingsuit, which is totally a game on its own. Like you can do fast travel in this game, but aside from hopping from one island to another when the distance is too far to fly in the wingsuit, I don't really see the point. And actually, since you can use boats and jet skis and stuff like that to boost yourself along with the wingsuit even over water, it is probably possible to fly pretty much everywhere without ever touching the ground or water. So far my record for a single flight was 5 minutes of just cruising up and down an island and then I landed on purpose because it is getting late and I had to come here to post this. :P

No show stopping glitches, and it runs like greased lightning on my PC with everything in graphics turned up as high as it could go. I turned off the extended leaderboards before I even started the game, because I couldn't care less what other people on the internet do with it, but it does still keep track of everything and compares it to your personal best which is acceptable.

Anyway, that's the short rundown for tonight.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I didn't preorder it yet. I went with Alien Isolation since Steam had it 77% off and it was a smaller download. JC3 was only 10% off anyway. Besides, I'm still downloading Alien. It'll be days because I can't leave my system on all night. :roll:

You'll have to tell me how good JC3 is after you've played it for awhile Krom. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Well so far it has been great, although I haven't even left the starting islands yet (though I did just finish liberating them entirely, so I'll probably be heading off soon). Since this often feels like an extension of JC2 which I played forever, it is real easy to just relax and take my time in it. There are a few minor annoyances, like all the upgrades being locked behind various challenges, a couple types of which are kinda boring/tedious or depend way too heavily on luck. But some of the other challenges are super fun and I would probably clear them even if there weren't upgrades gated behind them. The wingsuit challenges are a lot of fun, the races and destruction frenzies are mixed, the bomb runs are kinda bad.

Like the first destruction frenzy I came across was a sniper rifle one, it said to blow up as much stuff in the base as possible within 90 seconds, and the 90 second timer doesn't start until you blow something up. You are given your choice of your currently unlocked sniper rifles with infinite ammo to do the challenge. So I load it up, and start shooting at one of the big radar towers in the base. After about 30 seconds and like 5 clips of ammo, it finally breaks. And I'm like "ok, this is impossible, there has got to be a trick". So the second time around I decided to look around the area and see what options were available and I made a few important discoveries: First, grapple tethers and one full supply of grenades (3-6 depending on how many upgrades you have) are always available to you and work for the challenge (but sadly, your always infinite supply of C4 is disabled). Second, that military helicopter parked on the pad over there, yeah, the one with the infinite rockets and miniguns, well you can totally use that to blow up all the stuff and get a perfect score without ever firing a shot from the proper specified weapon. :P In a lot of the hardest destruction frenzy challenges, you can usually find a vehicle nearby that makes it comically easy instead. So don't hesitate to look around for a helicopter, gunboat, or tank somewhere in the base before you start the timer.

Also stuff blows up, a lot. Like a ton of stuff in the game is practically made out of nitroglycerin and lit matches. Watching a bunch of stuff blow up in a spectacular chain reaction is mesmerizing and dramatically improved from JC2. In JC2 all the explosions were basically "canned" explosions, every object type always exploded the same way, in JC3 however almost everything blows up differently every time you blow up one of them, so no two explosions are quite the same.

The online tracking thing is kinda dumb though, because when you log in and load the game, you are greeted by like 5 minutes of scrolling text in one corner of the screen of people who beat your score in blah blah challenge. And occasionally you do a challenge and get a "you are now rank blah in this challenge". It is kinda dumb, and according to people online it also consumes about 10 FPS worth of performance, so the game actually runs faster if you go offline and firewall it to prevent it from doing it. I can only guess it is from the game recording your telemetry data so people can replay your ghost and see how you did it. It runs perfectly fine on my machine, not a hitch or crash yet with some pretty long play sessions, but some people with weaker computers and a lot of people with AMD video cards are having major issues or crashes. So the main sticking point there is if you aren't running a fairly high end Nvidia card (GTX 780 or better) on a stable Intel CPU with at least 8 GB of RAM, you will probably have issues. My i7-3770k, 16 GB of RAM, and GTX 980 work perfectly, I suspect in a couple years this game will be running pretty much perfectly even on mid range hardware.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, I guess I'll have to wait until I upgrade to a newer computer, probably in 6 months or so, if I have the cash. Between my aging ASUS Rampage III Gene motherboard and my Nvidia GTX 680, this rig is probably too under-powered to run things smoothly on these newer games. I'll just have to be satisfied with the high sphincter factor playing Alien Isolation right now and yeah, this game has a real high sphincter factor. I've already almost crapped my pants when an overhead monitor blew up while I was in a section of the space station standing next to a bunch of body bags. :o
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I think JC3 will probably run on the 680 if you turn down the details that eat video memory, since that is probably where people are getting burned the most. The 780 Ti holds its own because it has 3 GB which is just barely enough, the 980 has 4 GB and gets by fine, but the 680 and lesser cards only have 2 GB and recent games are starting to hit hard there (For instance Batman Arkham City consumes over 4 GB of video memory when everything is turned on, so it has vram issues on everything but a Titan variant).

I suspect next summer when the nvidia releases pascal I'll be upgrading just to get back ahead on video memory capacity.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've got 4G on my 680. Think it will work? I do love all that detail in a game.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Krom wrote:Watching a bunch of stuff blow up in a spectacular chain reaction is mesmerizing and dramatically improved from JC2. In JC2 all the explosions were basically "canned" explosions, every object type always exploded the same way, in JC3 however almost everything blows up differently every time you blow up one of them, so no two explosions are quite the same.
LOL! Pyromaniacs rejoice! :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

In order to unlock a vehicle so you can spawn it wherever you want with a rebel drop, you have to take a vehicle to one of the garages that are in most villages where they "chop" it and then you can spawn it whenever. There are also a couple garages at sea so you can chop all the boats and jet skis and seaplanes. However, apparently the developers have a bit of an evil streak in them because the best boat in the game for races only spawns in one place: an inland lake where the nearest garage is in a village two kilometers up the side of the mountain.

The solution is always grapple tethers. I hopped on the boat walking on top of it in the "stunt" position, and then used grapple tethers to pull the boat up the side of the mountain, into the village where the garage was. So yeah, in Just Cause 3 I just surfed a speedboat up the side of a mountain.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well that kind of blows the laws of physics all to hell! :lol:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

That move needs to be in the next Die Hard.