Descent Underground for less than a tenner - this weekend!

The return of Descent! Forum for the reboot which will be developed by Descendent Studios.

Moderators: Lothar, dunkelza, Drakona

Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Descent Underground for less than a tenner - this weekend!

Post by Do_Checkor »

Not much more to say about it...
If you've been waiting for ‪#‎BlackFriday‬ to get @DescentUground, it's under $10 right now! http://descendentstudios.com/community/store/
This would ensure you'd get a valid licence for the full version (in 2016) for less than 10 dollar - while also having a look at the game right now!

I highly doubt there will be a significant better option for the next couple of years :)

I got my backer deal for 6 weeks and I got to admit: D:U looks very promising (I only build a new / decent / D:U ready / gaming rig the other weekend so I barely made it to check myself).
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Descent Underground for less than a tenner - this weeken

Post by sigma »

Tempting offer. But why do I need paid trial alpha/beta version MP, if I have not seen even SP? Besides, it really is very difficult to write a licensing agreement in Russian? I don't see there is no guarantee about what you say.
I have no doubt that the game will develop. But, in my opinion, it is too early to seriously think about buying the current model - paid designer, if you are not deep pockets, of course.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

At some point in the future, the game might be as far to be holding a SP and make it to have a multi language / russian licence agreement. Feel free to wait until then :-)

But THEN there will be almost no chance for a deal of less than 3-6 times of the price from today :)

This is not a trial version. You will have a full version license in the end.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This is "not a trial version" of the game is limited in time to play.

I always have a plan B.
But, really, I'll wait as long as possible that to feel that the game is created for me, not player for the game. All games Steam, which I really like, I only have the licensed. I hope D:U will not fail me, I have the right to receive a quality product if I pay for it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, absolutely, and I wouldn't recommend buying D:U until you know there will be a Russian version. I don't think they've yet promised any translations at all, so it makes sense to hold out until that changes.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Sirius, stop pulling my leg. I have already said that the Russian localization is not the most important thing for me. Basically, I do not like P2W game model.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I think they may have dropped that actually.
At the very least it's possible to earn anything in the game by playing it.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Alter-Fox wrote:I think they may have dropped that actually.
At the very least it's possible to earn anything in the game by playing it.
That's been the stated plan from pretty much the get-go, and as far as I can see there's absolutely nothing P2W about any of the game's design.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

This version has multiplayer or only bots? How much time limit here?

http://descendentstudios.com/community/store/
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Alter-Fox is certainly right. I agree, it is necessary to support the project. They make nice new Descent in the end. I am ready to buy it right now. But hell, still there is nothing what to play. Why do I need testing? To enjoy the beautiful textures? Maybe it's time to make a normal version that would be at least a little bit interestingly to play?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

What do you mean "nothing to play"? There are multiple ships, multiple levels, and a whole bunch of people playing multiple game modes. And this is just the alpha phase.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Okay, I see.

But this is a disaster, but not control of the ship. In Miner Wars 2081, I felt that I am controlling a real space ship in real space. In Retrovirus, Sublevel Zero also quite it's all right.
Here I look at the video from the cockpit and feel like in the viewfinder of the camera :lol:

[youtube]3aL8X72R7kY[/youtube]
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I agree with you on that one sigma.
We're trying to convince them to at least reinstate the ship-bobbing.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Of course, for beginners, it is important to be able to completely turn off the motion effects. But settings of inertia, sensitivity, ramping, ship-bobbing and so on should be necessarily.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

sigma wrote:Here I look at the video from the cockpit and feel like in the viewfinder of the camera :lol:
Oh wow, that looks like absolute ★■◆●. I looks like a cartoon of what Descent should be. I wish this "official" release gave me a reason to buy a new computer. :/
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

And I am wondering how much of the internet is thinking the same thing. Even a few people who don't come from a Descent background have complained that it doesn't feel that real.

It can still improve, of course, but I can only hope that not too much damage is done.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I haven't felt anything wrong with it while playing it, and it didn't particularly feel any more or less "real" than other 6DOF titles I've played. Honestly I'm glad to see the ship-bobbing done away with, though perhaps that's mostly bad memories of trying to run D1 on a far-too-fast computer and seeing the ship wildly vibrate up and down like a rabbit on meth.

And I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here; honestly I've only played an hour or so of the alpha thus far, and that was a few updates ago. But even that short bit screamed Descent through and through, and nothing about that video convinces me otherwise.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Top Gun wrote: honestly I've only played an hour
If the developers D:U played in multiplayer Descent 1-2-3, they would know that there's rarely plays more than 2 hours. While in the single-player game you can play 4-6 hours or more.
Since I have the impression that in D:U of pure single game will not, let's hope that developers will be able to make at least one successful version of the hybrid varieties, which they are trying to do.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Top Gun wrote: honestly I've only played an hour or so of the alpha thus far, and that was a few updates ago. But even that short bit screamed Descent through and through, and nothing about that video convinces me otherwise.

HAHAHAHA! Brilliant, TG! Seriously! Exactly what my impression is. New rig set up. Holiday starts now. That will finally leave me a good chance to check D:U and Sol Contingency in more detail now...