telling

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: telling

Post by snoopy »

callmeslick wrote:now, I KNOW the source linked is biased, and don't agree with some of the obvious suppositions they are making, but I offer this link to show that, yes, there are some Christian terrorist organizers out there:

http://aattp.org/christian-terrorist-jo ... n-doctors/
Here's the bottom line on that: Any terrorist who claims the name "Christian" is misappropriating the name, because you cannot follow Christ (both His teachings and His lived example) while committing acts of terrorism.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

snoopy wrote:...you cannot follow Christ (both His teachings and His lived example) while committing acts of terrorism.
I beg to differ. The entire Bible is a book of terrorism. Christianity thrives on the seed it plants in little kid's brains, that if they aren't good little boys and girls then the all-seeing, all-knowing God will burn them in a lake of fire for all eternity. It is the very definition of terrorism.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote:
snoopy wrote:...you cannot follow Christ (both His teachings and His lived example) while committing acts of terrorism.
I beg to differ. The entire Bible is a book of terrorism. Christianity thrives on the seed it plants in little kid's brains, that if they aren't good little boys and girls then the all-seeing, all-knowing God will burn them in a lake of fire for all eternity. It is the very definition of terrorism.
And the koran is not?
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

snoopy wrote:
callmeslick wrote:now, I KNOW the source linked is biased, and don't agree with some of the obvious suppositions they are making, but I offer this link to show that, yes, there are some Christian terrorist organizers out there:

http://aattp.org/christian-terrorist-jo ... n-doctors/
Here's the bottom line on that: Any terrorist who claims the name "Christian" is misappropriating the name, because you cannot follow Christ (both His teachings and His lived example) while committing acts of terrorism.
hmmmm, haven't we heard that from Muslims for years about THEIR terrorism problem?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

vision wrote:
That's a gross misrepresentation of the message of the Bible as a whole.
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:they're being quiet because they're fighting the good fight against abortion. that evil, evil thing that somehow is more important than not telling people what to do with their own bodies.*

*see poe's law.
George Carlin on conservatives, in 1996. Ideology never changes. Only the screaming has gotten louder and more extreme. Warning, he drops a few swear words during this skit, so if you're a conservative, cover your little delicate ears. :P

[youtube]vZijLQGH1v0[/youtube]
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Pro-life has always been a snarl phrase, loaded to make those who believe in it feel good.

It really should be called pro-birth.

Hey, on another note, the US has had another mass shooting. It was faster than I figured it would be. I guessed January -- three months since the last one. Someone wanted to be famous. And now we get to see the circus happen all over again -- mentally ill, "if they had guns, this wouldn't happen" and all the other feel-good stuff that just distracts from the real issue at hand... you know, the same old nonsense.

Let's see what the pro-lifers have to say about today's incident in California. Are they going to be pro-life about this, or simply sit in the background?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote:Let's see what the pro-lifers have to say about today's incident in California.
The suspect has been named as Syed Farook.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... arook.html
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

snoopy wrote:That's a gross misrepresentation of the message of the Bible as a whole.
I'm sorry, your interpretation of a fictional work is not more or less valid than my interpretation of the same fictional work. There is no standard to base any claims on.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:The suspect has been named as Syed Farook.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... arook.html
It's a possibility, nothing concrete at the moment.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote:
Ferno wrote:Let's see what the pro-lifers have to say about today's incident in California.
The suspect has been named as Syed Farook.
and, it appears, he was an employee of the group holding the seasonal party, left the party and came back heavy with one or two friends. Odd. Very odd, but very possibly not terrorism.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

vision wrote:
snoopy wrote:That's a gross misrepresentation of the message of the Bible as a whole.
I'm sorry, your interpretation of a fictional work is not more or less valid than my interpretation of the same fictional work. There is no standard to base any claims on.
Setting aside the question of errancy of the Bible... there is still a standard of application of proper scholarly method, which you're not employing. You can justify your straw man as you like, but it remains no less categorically a straw man.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

snoopy wrote:...there is still a standard of application of proper scholarly method, which you're not employing.
LOL.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:Pro-life has always been a snarl phrase, loaded to make those who believe in it feel good.

It really should be called pro-birth.

Hey, on another note, the US has had another mass shooting. It was faster than I figured it would be. I guessed January -- three months since the last one. Someone wanted to be famous. And now we get to see the circus happen all over again -- mentally ill, "if they had guns, this wouldn't happen" and all the other feel-good stuff that just distracts from the real issue at hand... you know, the same old nonsense.

Let's see what the pro-lifers have to say about today's incident in California. Are they going to be pro-life about this, or simply sit in the background?
Pro-birth, but certainly not pro-life. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote: and, it appears, he was an employee of the group holding the seasonal party, left the party and came back heavy with one or two friends. Odd. Very odd, but very possibly not terrorism.
Some of these guys do the 'sudden jihad' syndrome thing. Take the guy that beheaded one of his coworkers: http://nypost.com/2014/09/26/woman-behe ... -oklahoma/
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:Setting aside the question of errancy of the Bible... there is still a standard of application of proper scholarly method, which you're not employing. You can justify your straw man as you like, but it remains no less categorically a straw man.

even then, that's a guess. not a strawman.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:Take the guy that beheaded one of his coworkers: http://nypost.com/2014/09/26/woman-behe ... -oklahoma/
you forgot two very important factors. he was already more likely to do it than an average person; seeing as he was an ex-con, and he was fired beforehand.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Ferno wrote:
snoopy wrote:Setting aside the question of errancy of the Bible... there is still a standard of application of proper scholarly method, which you're not employing. You can justify your straw man as you like, but it remains no less categorically a straw man.

even then, that's a guess. not a strawman.
How do you come to that conclusion? If you study the content of the Bible (or any book, for that matter) you can reach very solid conclusions about some things it's trying to communicate, and less solid conclusions about some other things that it might be trying to communicate. Specifically with the Bible, "you better be good or else" is quite definitely not the whole story. If you want to make statements about Christian faith, you at least need to have the major tenants of the faith right before trying to make your own conclusions about said tenants. If you consider it so removed from reality that it's not worth you knowing it's tenants (note: in that case, how can you know exactly how removed from reality it is?) - then it's also not worth your venom. Either way, mischaracterizing the teachings of the Bible in order to attack them is most definitely a straw man.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?
easy. one mans' interpretation of the bible is no more right than anothers. It's not like we're dealing with hard and fast facts.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

anyone who thinks that man has no influence on climate is an idiot. I'll say it as often as I have to.
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

tunnelcat wrote:Pro-birth, but certainly not pro-life. :wink:
And what “choice” does the unborn get.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:
given that the age of reason has an onset of 7 years old, none. So what?
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The point is both descriptions can be considered false by someone.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

callmeslick wrote:
Spidey wrote:
given that the age of reason has an onset of 7 years old, none. So what?
I see. So slick may even sanction post birth abortion.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It is clear that uncomfortable opinions here were subjected to rigid censorship. Well, keep talking about something that will not hurt your fragile patriotism. I understand that it is harmful to your psyche to know the opinion from outside of your ranch. Sorry.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Your paranoid delusions are not being censored, they are being ignored.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Complaining about censorship on a private board is always ironic.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Spidey, I'm interested in your opinion in the least.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Ferno, I will not argue, although I often see that what is forgiven for homies, is not permissible for foreigners. And of course I can see that administrators are tolerant enough to mine sometimes harsh opinions.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

sigma wrote:It is clear that uncomfortable opinions here were subjected to rigid censorship. Well, keep talking about something that will not hurt your fragile patriotism. I understand that it is harmful to your psyche to know the opinion from outside of your ranch. Sorry.
I split off topic posts into this thread last night:

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22564

Looking at the log, nothing else happened.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Aha.. OK. THX, Jeff.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Ferno wrote:
snoopy wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?
easy. one mans' interpretation of the bible is no more right than anothers. It's not like we're dealing with hard and fast facts.
There's some room for interpretation... But you can't just make things up and attribute them to the Bible. You can certainly take someone's interpretation of some portion and judge it against the rest of the Bible to see if it seems to fit - so no its not as simple as "one mans interpretation is as good as another's." Back to the beginning of all of this: I challenge you to find a case for Christ endorsing terrorism that will hold up to an honest attempt at understanding the message of the gospels. If you can't make that case, then any claim that Christianity is a terroristic faith is based in ignorance. So... Don't just assert an interpretation... Demonstrate that its appropriate.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

snoopy wrote:There's some room for interpretation... But you can't just make things up and attribute them to the Bible. You can certainly take someone's interpretation of some portion and judge it against the rest of the Bible to see if it seems to fit - so no its not as simple as "one mans interpretation is as good as another's." Back to the beginning of all of this: I challenge you to find a case for Christ endorsing terrorism that will hold up to an honest attempt at understanding the message of the gospels. If you can't make that case, then any claim that Christianity is a terroristic faith is based in ignorance. So... Don't just assert an interpretation... Demonstrate that its appropriate.

You misunderstood my point. If one has studied the bible and claims that they know it as fact, they only understand their own interpretation of it, and they may agree with other peoples' interpretation. And you are asking me to find something that you have already interpreted as not being there, so doing what you ask is simply a fools' errand. I could spend years studying The Grimms Tales and consider myself an expert and give myself a degree, but that would give no more weight than what you read. It's essentially saying "It's true because it said this and not that, and I'm right because I agree with it!"

No matter how you view it, it's simply interpretation, and more analogous to philosophy than history. there is no geological, historical, meteorological, paleontologic, migratory or zoological evidence to support what is written inside the bible.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

snoopy wrote:...I challenge you to find a case for Christ endorsing terrorism that will hold up to an honest attempt at understanding the message of the gospels.
The entire Gospel is an endorsement of terror. It literally says you have to believe in Christ to avoid burning in a Lake of Fire for all Eternity. You cannot deny this fact no matter how hard you try. It's repulsive.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Depends on what context you use the term terror, yes the Bible uses fear as a tool of persuasion, but I can’t recall any call for violence as a tool of persuasion in the New Testament.

And in your opinion the book is a work of fiction, so none of the said violence in the Bible ever even took place, so again we are left with fear, not terror.

Now if you are going to accuse people who use fear as a tool of persuasion of terrorism, then you indict just about all of politics as a whole.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:
What choices do they get after they're born? None. They are wards of their parents and subject to their parent's finances, situations, care, or non-care many times. There's no kind of parent test to determine if a couple is even fit to give birth to a child, or raise a child in a healthy and happy environment and there's almost no safety net if those parents do fail at their job. Just ask any kid who's been in a foster home. I certainly don't see conservatives even giving a damn about a child's life while it is being raised to adulthood either. Food stamps for poor, single mothers? Just a socialist program that needs to be cut. Let them starve. Assisted housing for single mothers or homeless families? Don't need that government expense. Let them freeze or beg to survive. Cheap prenatal or postnatal health care for women who want to have children or want to care for those children after birth? Cut all that because of those few abortions that that evil Planned Parenthood does alongside it's other women's care services. Help with education? Nope. Too expensive, so cut those teacher's salaries, cut public school funding, cut funding for college education because private enterprise does it better. It doesn't matter that now an eduation costs too far much and only gives a decent education to those who can afford it while pulling money from a now foundering public system and saddling the next generation with a horrendous debt they can't hope to ever pay off.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Funny…but I have lived my entire life making choices.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

When you think about it, did you really? How much was fate, happenstance, or luck?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Don’t believe in fate, but the other two can me mitigated with good planning.

Even getting out of bed in the morning is a choice.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

How many choices did you make before your first memory or before you learned the concept of freedom?