Iran spits in Obama's eye...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Iran spits in Obama's eye...

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:So you would see no problem if a Iranian boat landed on a baptist island run by the Phelps family and forced any of the female Iranians to take off their head scarves as the scarves were offensive?
We already force people to take off their hats and scarves when entering a government building, Muslim or not. We also have a habit of stripping people naked we take into custody. The USA has no moral high-ground here. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by making up impossible scenarios to justify this ridiculous outrage you are feeling. You and TB really should form a club.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:
callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:Well here's a little tidbit that no one seems to have broached. why was the female sailor forced to wear a head scarf? Trying to humiliate her? I'll bet she didn't think her treatment was all that wonderful.
that is the norm in their society. So what, she had to wear a scarf for 7 or 8 hours? Geez, you would be funny were you telling jokes, but I suspect you actually believe this drivel.
So you would see no problem if a Iranian boat landed on a baptist island run by the Phelps family and forced any of the female Iranians to take off their head scarves as the scarves were offensive?
once again, you would be forcing the men on the boat to sin in the eyes of their religion. Did anyone force anything similar on our people?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So slick, you are saying all Muslim men who come to Europe or America are sinners because they are not blindfolded?
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Did they make the woman cover her face or just her hair?

I don’t find making her cover her hair offensive, but I would object to forcing her to cover her face.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Either way Spidey, it was a way to force the woman to conform. I suspect if it was Kim Davis, there would of been hell to pay to get her to wear a scarf.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:So slick, you are saying all Muslim men who come to Europe or America are sinners because they are not blindfolded?
in the eyes of some Muslims, yes.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

you are simply hysterical with this hand-wringing over a diplomatic triumph for the US. Stop, you're killing me with the laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol:
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:you are simply hysterical with this hand-wringing over a diplomatic triumph for the US. Stop, you're killing me with the laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Triumph? You surely jest. Do you think the Iranians were going to jeopardize the release of all that money held in thrall?

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

let's see, the Chinese held a plane, took it apart and held the aviators for 12 days under Bush. THAT'S a thumbing-the-nose. The Iranians have a long track record of bringing captives of any sort back to Tehran for questioning, and that did not happen. Yes, it's a triumph. It isn't like we are giving them some cash payment, if you actually read that damned agreement, so that argument is pretty lame. Once again, put the shoe on the other foot. Did they react any more harshly that we would had their vessels ventured into sensitive areas under our sovereign jurisdiction? Why do you keep seeking to belittle the US, or our Commander in Chief? Why do you hate our naton so much?
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:let's see, the Chinese held a plane, took it apart and held the aviators for 12 days under Bush. THAT'S a thumbing-the-nose. The Iranians have a long track record of bringing captives of any sort back to Tehran for questioning, and that did not happen. Yes, it's a triumph. It isn't like we are giving them some cash payment, if you actually read that damned agreement, so that argument is pretty lame. Once again, put the shoe on the other foot. Did they react any more harshly that we would had their vessels ventured into sensitive areas under our sovereign jurisdiction? Why do you keep seeking to belittle the US, or our Commander in Chief? Why do you hate our naton so much?
They only hate our nation when it's being run by a Democrat. If it's being run by a Republican, everything they do is for the good of the nation, even if it's the exact same thing that a Democratic president did.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:Did they make the woman cover her face or just her hair?

I don’t find making her cover her hair offensive, but I would object to forcing her to cover her face.
Iran only requires a hijab and it's loosely enforced for foreigners (if at all). There are some areas where Iranian women don't regularly go without and other areas where there is a lot of pressure to wear one. It's a huge place with a lot of conflicting views on social norms, just like any other modern country.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

The only thing I can possibly see Iran to have done wrong, is the unsubstantiated possibility they used some sort of GPS spoofing on the boats. Didn't something like that happen with that high zoot drone of ours that landed in Iran? I seem to recall conjecture that Iran somehow spoofed the GPS on it. I only vaguely understand how GPS works, so I don't know what kind of accuracy spoofing would give, and if it would be a viable tactic.

Other than something like that, I can't begin to see how Iran did anything worth any other response than "Thank You."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I can't help but get the impression that woodchip and tb are actually irritated because this did not blow up into some prolonged and deadly hostage crisis.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Krom wrote:I can't help but get the impression that woodchip and tb are actually irritated because this did not blow up into some prolonged and deadly hostage crisis.
yup. More patriotism and love of country from the right!
George Orwell---"1984"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote:I can't help but get the impression that woodchip and tb are actually irritated because this did not blow up into some prolonged and deadly hostage crisis.
And just exactly how did you arrive at that "Impression"?

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote:And just exactly how did you arrive at that "Impression"?
Easy. It's because rather than acknowledge that this is a positive event you are exaggerating minutia to spin this as a negative. Kim Davis in a hijab? Forcing women to conform? Really? What a terrible analogy. We already force soldiers, regardless of gender, to conform to standards set by the military.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:let's see, the Chinese held a plane, took it apart and held the aviators for 12 days under Bush. THAT'S a thumbing-the-nose. The Iranians have a long track record of bringing captives of any sort back to Tehran for questioning, and that did not happen. Yes, it's a triumph. It isn't like we are giving them some cash payment, if you actually read that damned agreement, so that argument is pretty lame. Once again, put the shoe on the other foot. Did they react any more harshly that we would had their vessels ventured into sensitive areas under our sovereign jurisdiction? Why do you keep seeking to belittle the US, or our Commander in Chief? Why do you hate our naton so much?
Seems our sailors have lost something from the days of the USS Pueblo :

https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010 ... reans-off/

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

why do you hate the US so much, Woody?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Why do you get wood when I post?

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote:Seems our sailors have lost something from the days of the USS Pueblo :

https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010 ... reans-off/
So now you even direct your irritation towards the sailors for failing to figure out a clever propaganda subversion with only a few hours, a warm meal and a scarf to work with...

Alright, you win, lets give them a chance. Send them back to the Iranians with detailed instructions to torture and abuse them for a few months like the North Koreans would have, otherwise you won't be able to gloat about how terrible Obama's foreign policy is. :roll:
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

[removed--you can call out someone for being inconsistent without personally attacking them]