Only a Matter of Time

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Only a Matter of Time

Post by woodchip »

Only a matter time before drone users will have to be licensed and regulated. Seems the first time ever a drone has crashed into a plane as it was landing. I don't know about you but I can see no earthly purpose on some idiot flying his drone anywhere near a airport. Even tho this is only the first case of a drone hitting a plane, all it will take is this one incident to have severe repercussions for the responsible drone user. I'm just afraid if the govt. doesn't restrict drone usage after this incident, then they will do something when a plane crashes and people die. Sadly this is what usually happens before action is taken. Can't say they weren't warned beforehand.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dr ... er-7776727
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Only a Matter of Time

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isn't small unmanned aircraft, i.e. drones, registration already required for owners in the U.S. now?

http://www.faa.gov/uas/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Z..
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Z.. »

It just simply makes no sense. Even if I had a drone, and I really don't have too much of a problem with people owning them, I'd never fly it around an airport. Who actually does crap like that? It sucks knowing that we share the streets with those folks.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I would assume people who like planes and are into photography would fly them near it. Also, terrorists will start using drones to scope out places.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Lots of people Z. But most of those reports are mistaken.

And speaking of mistaken.. that supposed collision between a drone and plane? It's looking more like a plastic bag. Because unless you have had your eyes transplanted from an eagle, you can't see any multi-rotor sized aircraft at 1700 feet from the ground.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Z.. wrote:It just simply makes no sense. Even if I had a drone, and I really don't have too much of a problem with people owning them, I'd never fly it around an airport. Who actually does crap like that? It sucks knowing that we share the streets with those folks.
The same imbeciles who point lasers at aircraft, for the sick fun of it I guess. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

and no one seems to care that the report filed by the pilot was false?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That fact hasn't been reported in the news. It's dropped off the radar for most people who get their news from TV and the newspapers. That's why no one has heard about it. A plot? :wink:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:That fact hasn't been reported in the news.
Oh?

The fact that the original story stated that the plane took off immediately after should have been a dead giveaway. Someone ran the number on the likelihood of drones vs aircraft collisions. They reckon it's about 1.3 million to one.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno, I SAID on network TV and at least in my local newspaper. Nothing, bupkiss. I haven't heard one peep from the network news about it for days, other than the original drone scare. Yes, I can search the net and find out what really happened, and sometimes that's what it takes to get informed anymore. I was also originally suspicious when no news outlet even showed us any supposed damage to the airplane. It's a shame that most of the major networks never corrected the original story, like they should have. Maybe it's a plot. :wink:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:Maybe it's a plot. :wink:
to sell you more stuff.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

There's definitely a plot to sell more expensive prescription drugs. The networks must think that only old farts watch the TV news. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

meanwhile, here on the Delmarva Peninsula:
http://www.delaware-surf-fishing.com/dr ... -for-tuna/
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's pretty damn cool. It is cheating, isn't it? :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:meanwhile, here on the Delmarva Peninsula:
http://www.delaware-surf-fishing.com/dr ... -for-tuna/
Appears to be a version of kite fishing.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

yes, to Woody, thus no to TC. Perfectly legal method of getting the bait to where the fish are.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'd say that's a pretty cool way to spot and bait for fish. It beats trying to cast your line into the unknown. My only worry would be losing the drone in the drink if something went wrong. It would then become a very expensive fishing expedition. :wink:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

hell, try hiring a tuna guide/boat for a day. A drone is CHEAP!
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

40 years ago I hired Tarpon guides in the Everglades and they were 150.00 a day back then.

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

a tuna run is around $1000......if you know someone. Now, that might allow 3 of you, tops, on the boat, maybe not. It isn't cheap, at any rate.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

In my case the boat was a lot smaller than the sport fisherman type boat the tuna fisherman would be aboard. Plus I was the only client. Lot of fun either way.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

callmeslick wrote:hell, try hiring a tuna guide/boat for a day. A drone is CHEAP!

A drone is a fully autonomous flying object, programmed on land before takeoff.

What you see referred to so much is a remotely piloted vehicle, or unmanned aerial system
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

A drone is what they are both referred as in the common vernacular.

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

woodchip wrote:A drone is what they are both referred as in the common vernacular.
Just don't you dare call a magazine a clip.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote:A drone is what they are both referred as in the common vernacular.

the common vernacular is off-base.

but what do I know? I've only been flying the things for the past six years now.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

well, heck, Ferno.....let's go fishing. I'll put you up and the house in VA and feed you and all! :) :)
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:

the common vernacular is off-base.

but what do I know? I've only been flying the things for the past six years now.
Really. Show me where your term is used other than in your hobbyist journals.

Ferno

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote: Really. Show me where your term is used other than in your hobbyist journals.
And that's the problem. Everywhere else, it's "drone drone drone" and no one seems to care if it's correct or not. I blame laziness.