Cool  0%  [ 0 ]
Not Cool  25%  [ 1 ]
Maybe with some tinkering...  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Hands On With Descent
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:10 pm 
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

So I love Descent, obviously or I wouldn't be here. Just a bit of back-story : I've already done a Let's Play of the game through a modification wherein I converted the Descent 1 levels into Descent 2 format, and added in the various Descent 2 weapons. Which I then run through D2X Rebirth (which is a fantastic source port btw). So I ran my Descent 1 conversion through the D2X Rebirth engine, the game balances out though because the Descent II AI is much smarter than the Descent AI. You can find my Let's Play of what I call Descent 1+ here : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PdB0aVBChK

Anyway, with that out of the way, what I thought I would try here is... this is just a prototype more or less. Something I've wanted to try for quite some time. There's quite a few Let's Players who show their faces on screen on camera so you can their reaction (and I've dabbled in that a bit). But I thought it might be more interesting to watch my hands actually work the controls instead. So this is something of a prototype to see how well it goes and how interesting you guys find it.

Unfortunately there are some technical limitations that i have to deal with or otherwise work out, for instance, using the phone's camera and the LED light simultaneously drains an enormous amount of battery, even while plugged in. Also the mount sort of thing for the phone is extremely limited in positioning at the moment. So you can only see my left-hand, and I'm not sure if this is going to be interesting enough to merit the financial expenditure of an actual tripod. You can see how delicately jury-rigged I am at 18:05 when the camera falls over. I don't really have so much to work with here, I do what I can with the resources available you know?

Anyway, let me know if you find this interesting or not.
Gameplay starts at 1:00 or so.

Post subject: Re: Hands On With Descent
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:54 am 
The Feline Menace

Well I can certainly give you credit for an interesting idea at least.
I won't have time to watch anything till tonight but I'll probably check it out then.

Also beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:59 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I think that it's a good idea.
If I were doing that a while back, then you may have seen my fingers completely go nuts as I come out of a down-and-right curved tunnel aligned perfectly. I don't know why they did that to this day.

New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:56 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Ok, I've watched a few. What intrigues me is how you managed to make the level exiting sequences work in D2. I'd totally dig being able to use that!

Your conversion could use an update though, with restored sounds and textures - we've made a sound mod that restores all D1 sounds and a D1 palette for D2 in the meantime.

Not so keen on the weapon balance though - Gauss, Helix and Phoenix came way too early, and they're wicked weapons.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 am 
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

You're using guass and the guidebot in D1 levels.

Sorry, I can't watch this. Those are two of my least favorite things that D2 included. Gauss because it's so overpowered that you simply must use it, and the guidebot because the levels are so large they ceased to be intuitive.

To each his own though, if you had fun with it, that's all that should matter to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Yeah, that. Gauss is so all-around good that it makes much of Descent a breeze and Helix is extremely potent against most single targets, these weapons really shouldn't start being available until level 24 or so, if you insist on including them at all. Descent 2 only did i because they had to show the weapons off in the demo, Maximum for example is way more rational with giving out these weapons.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Xfing wrote:
Yeah, that. Gauss is so all-around good that it makes much of Descent a breeze and Helix is extremely potent against most single targets, these weapons really shouldn't start being available until level 24 or so, if you insist on including them at all. Descent 2 only did i because they had to show the weapons off in the demo, Maximum for example is way more rational with giving out these weapons.

Though Maximum did add an easy mega missile way too early IMO.

New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:24 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

LightWolf wrote:
Though Maximum did add an easy mega missile way too early IMO.

Well, you fire the missile and you have nothing again. Cannons are different.