Major forum software update.

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Major forum software update.

Post by Krom »

Updated from phpBB version 3.0.x to 3.1.x, naturally for a forum of this size it took a considerable time to process all the updates. Keep an eye out for glitches. Additionally, although very few people used them, most of the extra themes were not compatible with phpBB 3.1 and are no longer available. A few additional settings/areas will have to be updated or replaced due to me also cleaning up a huge amount of old/insecure/no longer relevant files.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Major forum software update.

Post by Krom »

A note on embedding. A whole bunch more stuff will automatically embed in posts if you just paste a link to it. The usual suspects like youtube videos for one, but also links to products on amazon, facebook posts/videos/images, soundcloud, tweets, cnn videos, reddit permalinks, etc. Basically don't be surprised if you post a link to something and that something just automatically shows up embedded directly in your post. To disable it in a post, check the "Do not automatically parse URLs" checkbox in posting options.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Awesome. Thanks for doing it, Krom.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It seems that the forum becomes almost a social network. And it seems we are in danger to be equated with the media, with appropriate censorship.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Gold Star for you, Krom!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

sigma wrote:It seems that the forum becomes almost a social network. And it seems we are in danger to be equated with the media, with appropriate censorship.
sigma, this forum is hosted in the US. There's no danger of censorship.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Foil wrote:
sigma wrote:It seems that the forum becomes almost a social network. And it seems we are in danger to be equated with the media, with appropriate censorship.
sigma, this forum is hosted in the US. There's no danger of censorship.
maybe from OUR end of the transmission line......
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I hate to throw water on Krom's new toys, but I'm having trouble with the emoticons and all the special actions like underlining, italics and quoting. Nothing happens when I try to add them to the body of the messages. I can add them manually by using BBC code, but not automatically from the forum selections. I'm using Firefox by the way.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Works fine on firefox here... But I'm not using the default theme. So probably something wrong with the ancient default theme that has been ported around to different forum software a half dozen times. I'll look in to it.

Edit: Should be working now.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Krom, on the default theme at least, here are a few things I've noticed:

[*] In a thread, there are no page number links to view different pages of posts
[*] The second post of each thread seems to have a different background color than the others
[*] When you click on a forum, there are no page number links to view threads older than the ones on the first page
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Extremely minor issue:

[*] After logging in with the "Hide my online status this session", the "who is online" list on the front page still shows me.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Jeff250 wrote:
  • In a thread, there are no page number links to view different pages of posts
  • When you click on a forum, there are no page number links to view threads older than the ones on the first page
Basic pagination functionality restored in default theme (whole system was overhauled/changed, old template wouldn't work).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:Works fine on firefox here... But I'm not using the default theme. So probably something wrong with the ancient default theme that has been ported around to different forum software a half dozen times. I'll look in to it.

Edit: Should be working now.
Yep, working fine now. :)
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Board style set to "Black" from "DescentBB" to check for pagination, and now I can't change it back (actually shows "DescentBB" whenever I go back to the settings page, no matter what I do. What are we paying you for?! ;)

EDIT: Closed the browser and re-opened, and now the style is back to good ol' DescentBB.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Krom wrote:
Jeff250 wrote:
  • In a thread, there are no page number links to view different pages of posts
  • When you click on a forum, there are no page number links to view threads older than the ones on the first page
Basic pagination functionality restored in default theme (whole system was overhauled/changed, old template wouldn't work).
Thanks!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’m seeing vision as the last poster in this thread (see image), and I’m also seeing some dots that I’m sure don’t belong, I think they appeared after the page search was added, but not positive.

Yea….it’s IE

Also the little thread and forum icons are not updating on that broken thread, and I see some other issues with the thread and forum animations.
Attachments
The Thread
The Thread
The dots
The dots
Capture2.JPG (10.64 KiB) Viewed 10534 times
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Only thing that still looks a bit off to me is that one of the unread posts icons is a...well, I'm not sure exactly what it is. Almost looks like a roller coaster car or something. :P Everything else looks fine!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:Only thing that still looks a bit off to me is that one of the unread posts icons is a...well, I'm not sure exactly what it is. Almost looks like a roller coaster car or something. :P Everything else looks fine!
I was wondering that too, and then realized that it's a sliver of a pyro icon.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Krom, one more thing: in each forum's list of threads, there used to be page numbers next to each thread so that you could jump to (e.g.) the last page of the thread without having to first go to the first page. Can we bring these back too? Thanks.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ferno wrote:
Top Gun wrote:Only thing that still looks a bit off to me is that one of the unread posts icons is a...well, I'm not sure exactly what it is. Almost looks like a roller coaster car or something. :P Everything else looks fine!
I was wondering that too, and then realized that it's a sliver of a pyro icon.
Oh hey, you're right. I never would have figured that out looking at it myself.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Jeff250 wrote:Krom, one more thing: in each forum's list of threads, there used to be page numbers next to each thread so that you could jump to (e.g.) the last page of the thread without having to first go to the first page. Can we bring these back too? Thanks.
Should be there now under applicable threads.

New post icons should shrink to fit, but for some reason it is unreliable. I'll keep an eye on it.

Honestly the default theme is a horrible hack job of ancient and very non-standard html that is kind of a miracle it works at all. :P One of these days we should just tear down a copy of prosilver and just replace its color scheme with the original themes blue on black. It would look a little different, but it would work a lot better and would present all the features of the board with a better layout.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

That might be a good idea for the next upgrade. I just noticed that the page numbers are missing from the threads listed under the "Unread posts"/"Your posts"/etc. links at the top too. Hopefully these can be all fixed in the same spot. :|
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Got it.

Additionally: Agent Ransack to the rescue, went through the entire template and corrected all the instances of pagination. Should work everywhere it is supposed to now.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Krom, almost posted about not being able to color the text...then I saw the font color box. Sorry I can't give you more work to do :P
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote:Krom, almost posted about not being able to color the text...then I saw the font color box. Sorry I can't give you more work to do :P
Heheh, it was actually broken/missing at first, but we fixed it along with the bbcode buttons.