WinXP SP2 RC2 is out...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

WinXP SP2 RC2 is out...

Post by Max_T »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The day SP2 final comes out, I am downloading it then formatting my computer. (after I test it on a disposible XP install)
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Krom wrote:The day SP2 final comes out, I am downloading it then formatting my computer. (after I test it on a disposible XP install)
im doing the same, mine needs it so bad cause i can get it to 100% reconnected to the domain with out looseing my user :|
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yup SP2 will be a big change from SP1. It will probably get tested before going on my main machine.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Not that I'd tell you to not test it beforehand, but SP2 has an utter assload of beta testers out there testing it right now. I haven't noticed any changes superficially since RC1, so my guess is that it's pretty stable, just waiting to catch all the minor bugs still not accounted for before public release.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'll install it on my VMware copy of XP and test it there before putting it on my real PC.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

have been playing with it, fine so far but via ide drivers seem a little buggy with it (hyperion 51`s)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

im going to test it on a POS Machine before i test it on my game box.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

so far sp2 suks for me... seems it dont care much for downloaded copy's of winxp :P

dont get me wrong, i do have a legit copy of winxp, i just prefer to use the corperate version that dont lock up every time i change hardware around. it took me 2 and a half weeks last time i used my legit copy before i had to start calling microsoft to get it activated. Now i dont know what i'll do...i really want to be able to use sp2 but i'm not sure it'll be worth it with as much as i swap out hardware...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you using a FCK** key?
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

Nop, microsoft has blocked out all the known keys that have been passed around on tradeing sites... at least as far as i have heard.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

heh... try pronouncing FCKGW... Microsoft are Nazis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'm sure there is a solution out there teddy, actually I might already have it. ;) 30 seconds of google should be enough.
Max_T
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Max_T »

there is a solution alright...bluesomething keysomething :)) generates something with xxx-640-xxxx and u'l be fine...anything with xxx-641 through 649-xxxxxxxxxxx won't work.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Max_T wrote:anything with xxx-641 through 649-xxxxxxxxxxx won't work.
oh?
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I had RC1 on here for a while but won't be in a hurry to install RC2 or even the final. Either DirectX 9.0a or 9.0b f*ck over one of my games (Freedom Force) and snce 9.0b is hard-wired into SP2, buh bye SP2.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

thats y there RCs just basicley Public Betas so there use if u want to.
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

dont worry ted, m$ have said they have relaxed the hardware imaging for hardware changes.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

why does XP have such a hissy fit with multiple hardware profiles, when 2k,9x and NT didnt have these problems?
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

I hope so, since sp2 locked me out, i reinstalled my legal verson.... however since then i've changed out my 8x dvd rom and 40x cd-rw out for a 16x dvd rom and a dvd-rw, and i added a diffrent sound card. If it is still as strict as before... i'll find out soon enough.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

AceCombat wrote:why does XP have such a hissy fit with multiple hardware profiles, when 2k,9x and NT didnt have these problems?
its called activation.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

fliptw wrote:
AceCombat wrote:why does XP have such a hissy fit with multiple hardware profiles, when 2k,9x and NT didnt have these problems?
its called activation.

so if you take a HDD out of one computer, put it in a different computer with different hardware, XP is going to have a hissy fit because it thinks its a new installation, i mean hell......everytime i see someone take a drive and move it to a new PC< it doesnt ask for a activation but it gives a real attitude problem with the new hardware and sometimes throws out BSOD failure errors because of the non-existant hardware.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

AceCombat wrote:so if you take a HDD out of one computer, put it in a different computer with different hardware, XP is going to have a hissy fit because it thinks its a new installation
Thats about it, yeah. MS would really like for you to not fook about wit the parts once its installed.
i mean hell......everytime i see someone take a drive and move it to a new PC< it doesnt ask for a activation but it gives a real attitude problem with the new hardware and sometimes throws out BSOD failure errors because of the non-existant hardware.
Thats because the pirated corporate version doesnt have activation.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Never mind you should remove all the hardware from device manager first (hint: safe mode).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote:Never mind you should remove all the hardware from device manager first (hint: safe mode).
oh i know how to deal with multiple hardware profiles, its just weird that everything before XP hardly gave you problems with multiple profiles, but XP is soo picky about it
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

AceCombat wrote: so if you take a HDD out of one computer, put it in a different computer with different hardware, XP is going to have a hissy fit because it thinks its a new installation, i mean hell......everytime i see someone take a drive and move it to a new PC< it doesnt ask for a activation but it gives a real attitude problem with the new hardware and sometimes throws out BSOD failure errors because of the non-existant hardware.
NT has allways done that silly. Nt4, Nt5, Nt5.1 and Nt5.2 (NT4, W2k, Xp, 2003) all do it cause it keeps people from takeing your dive putting it in a differnt system and getting your data. all though u can get the data by just slaveing the drive, but if the data is encripted then your not getting to it