Our favorite dishes

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Our favorite dishes

Post by sigma »

Today, I looked what dishes are traditional and loved in the different countries around the world. To be honest I was a little surprised. Is it really people eat every day and it they like? We urgently need to clarify this question!
So, what is really our favorite dishes for every day and for a holiday?
P.S. You can even take a picture, it would be even more interesting :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Our favorite dishes

Post by Tunnelcat »

I tend to like more foreign foods than American, although I do live French Fries, especially if they are cooked in lard (very bad for anyone's health) or peanut oil. I love Japanese, especially Sushi and quite a few Vietnamese and Chinese dishes. These Sesame Balls are one of my favorite Chinese desserts, but they're really hard to make. I've recently started eating a couple of Indian foods like Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken, as long as it doesn't have as much curry as most Indians tend to like in their food. I'm just not used to curry. I absolutely love Indian Naan. I also started eating most of my hamburgers and steaks cooked with Sous-Vide method.

However, I dislike most Mexican or South American foods, but I'll make an exception for tacos.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I like North American food but I also like European foods, lots of sausage. I'm a big meat lover. Steak, roast, pork, ham, chicken etc.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oooooh, pulled pork and bacon burgers! Yummy. Dammit guys, you're making me fat just thinking about all this luscious food! :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

A lot of that sounds yummy sigma. The Pelmeni really sounds good, especially since it's close in appearance to Chinese potstickers. I have a sinful simple food that I love. It's just plain cooked spaghetti tossed with butter, fresh garlic and a little salt and pepper. Simple, fattening and it's good for keeping people at arm's length. :P
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Russian homemade Pelmeni and Chinese potstickers have a completely different taste. Besides, Russian Pelmeni melt in your mouth and you can eat 2 big dishes without feeling over-eating, in contrast to the Chinese. I also really like the pasta with grated cheese, but the taste of spaghetti with garlic and pepper hard for me to imagine, to be honest. Maybe, only if it will be a spaghetti buckwheat :roll:
By the way, you can try to make Bolognese sauce in my recipe if you want :wink:
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Jeff250 wrote:水煮牛肉
yea Image
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

sigma wrote:Russian homemade Pelmeni and Chinese potstickers have a completely different taste. Besides, Russian Pelmeni melt in your mouth and you can eat 2 big dishes without feeling over-eating, in contrast to the Chinese. I also really like the pasta with grated cheese, but the taste of spaghetti with garlic and pepper hard for me to imagine, to be honest. Maybe, only if it will be a spaghetti buckwheat :roll:
By the way, you can try to make Bolognese sauce in my recipe if you want :wink:
Spaghetti with butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Anything goes good with butter. :wink: Another simple spaghetti recipe has dry Basil, Oregano, Marjoram spices mixed with olive oil, fresh garlic and chopped Roma tomatoes, which is then steeped in a pan over low heat with some already cooked and drained spaghetti.

I'd like to try the Pelmeni sometime if I could find an authentic source. Sounds delicious.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Tunnelcat, a lot of recipes and all make pelmeni a little differently. I tell you how my grandmother made pelmeni as do and I, okay?

Ingredients.
Wheat flour - 1 kg
Beef fillet - 1 kg
Pork flesh - 1 kg
Onions - 5-6 medium onions
Chicken egg - 3
Garlic - 2 cloves
Ground black pepper - 1 tsp

1. Prepare the dough.
Sift the flour through a fine sieve, add three eggs, salt.
Begin kneading, taking the flour over the entire circumference of the edge to the middle, adding cold water.
Long and diligently knead the dough to the point where it ceases to adhere to the fingers and becomes elastic.
Check: press the dough with your finger, a dimple must immediately equalize.
The dough is covered with a towel and leave for 30 minutes.

2. Make the stuffing.
The meat must be definitely fresh, forcemeat necessarily to do yourself.
Meat scrolls through a meat grinder with onions.
Mix up the mince with your hands, adding salt and pepper, garlic passed through the masher, cold (preferably iced) water.
Then the minced meat, preferably a bit to freeze.

3. Roll out the dough wooden rolling pin. The dough should be not thin and not thick.
Then, cut out circles, for example, ordinary inverted mug (this simplified, traditional way will be difficult for you).
Take a spoon of minced meat, put on slices and sculpt pelmeni.
We do it this way.

[youtube]k5LsXeXmWyA[/youtube]

Also we do from the same dough a few small bagels without stuffing (this is particularly loved by children).

4. Put pelmeni with the bagels in boiling slightly salted water.
Cook for about 15 minutes. At first, a little stir with a slotted spoon, to avoid sticking to the pan and to each other. Pelmeni should float and boil a little more.
Check: Get one pelmen, cut in half, to taste.

5. Put the ready pelmeni on the plate, put on top a lump of butter. Serve with sour cream in a separate bowl. It looks like this.

P.S. I must say that the first time will surely be unsuccessful. This is normal. Don't worry. On the third or fourth attempt everything will pan out okay.

P.P.S. And of course, you can see how pelmeni are prepared by others.

[youtube]oZd0UP5QWHE[/youtube]

Good luck! :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks sigma. Since I've got my own meat grinder, I'll give your recipe a try. I haven't bought store ground meat in over 30 years since I like to know what's lurking inside my ground meat. Your pelmeni sounds delicious. What cut of pork do you use?

EDIT: After looking through the recipe, I'll definitely have to cut it down in size. I'm only cooking for 2 people. Of course, I could freeze the extra for a future dinner. :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Usually it's pork neck. Indeed, most often we cook for four people. Yes, not boiled pelmeni can be frozen. If you will have any additional questions, I'm happy to help you )
Add: Yes, and the raw stuffing can and should to taste on salt and pepper, you will not die :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

With meat from our stores, raw will most certainly make me sick. It has accidentally in the past. I don't have a butcher I can trust here. If I want nearly raw meat, I will put the meat in a plastic bag and cook it in hot water until the center of the meat comes to 136 degrees F, then I cook it for an hour longer to pasteurize it.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

It's pretty hard to imagine that you have no butcher shop that you trust. Well, outside the city for sure there is a small butcher shops, where there is always excellent fresh meat.

TC, the meat inside of pelmeni is heat-treated, you do not need any perversions with pasteurization. After all, you love to eat raw fish in sushi, but you did not become a mermaid and fishtail not grown at you, right?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Our sushi chefs are much more careful than our butchers here. I've never gotten sick from local raw fish and we have easy access to fresh fish from the Pacific ocean here in the Northwest. I have gotten sick from store bought beef I accidentally under-cooked. Most of the time, spoiled fish is easy to smell and detect. The flesh of fish goes soft and mushy when it spoils too. Contaminated beef can be treated by stores and suppliers to hide pathogens and most of the pathogens we get in beef come from the poor or unsanitary butchering practices in our large beef slaughtering industry. Pork in the U.S. is most assuredly laced with the parasite Trichinosis. Cook pork thoroughly or be guaranteed of getting a dose of trichinosis here. I love raw bacon because I stupidly tried it as a child and found I loved the taste, but I would never eat it regularly. So pelmeni that's been already boiled is fine to eat. I wouldn't taste test it before it's been boiled however. :wink:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

2 dishes that are truly from the province of Quebec (where I was born).

Poutine - Fries, covered in cheese curds and covered in gravy.
Creton - Ground pork, mixed with spices, onions, covered with water and boiled until the water disappears. I spread it on toast and add salt/pepper.

I still eat these to this day. Poutine is very famous and there are many different kinds available now.
Creton you can get in Quebec but also in Ontario in certain Cora's restaurants.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

sigh, it's a hard case, TC... Dear, let's just forget the whole thing )
Okay, try as you can. Most importantly, they should be with meat. And if possible, close to the recipe. In any case, it will be interesting, I think :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

CDN_Merlin, it is very interesting, I will surely try to cook it :lol:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I like making a pot roast with organic carrots/onions/portabela mushroom. Then I make mashed potatoes from scratch and combine the cooked roast and trimmings with potatoes. Suits me as I'm a simple kinda guy.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

My favorite dishes from the local cuisine, would be the next ones:

"Carne en Chile Pasilla"

It's a chili stew made with either beef or pork, potatoes, 'nopales' (a kind of cacti), green tomatoes and 'Pasilla' pepper.
(although I barely eat it as of lately, due to my gastritis :( ).

"Cemita Poblana"

Is a kind of sandwich made with crunchy bran bread, 'Quesillo/Oaxaca' cheesse, avocado, 'Papalo' and some other filling of choice (usually pork 'Milanesa').

"Molote"
A kind of a mix of 'Quesadilla' and pasty, deep fried and with different fillings of choice. I'm specially fond to those filled with cheesse. They can be served with a bit of cream and some mexican spicy sauce (that I don't use as of lately, again, due to gastritis).

And as dessert, I'm totally in love with a kind of cookie known as:

"Tortitas de Santa Clara".
It's a soft cookie that features a delicious and very sweet topping of milk and 'Pepita' (pumpkin seed) cream.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

By the way, I have today for the first time in my life tried fried potatoes with cheese (I usually only eat spaghetti with cheese). That is, I tried to cook Poutine (i.e I wanted to eat Putin :) ).
I cooked french fries in the fryer, which I sprinkled different kinds of cheese and poured spicy sauce and added a little fried onions.

So, what was the ingredients:

New potatoes
Cheese:
(unfortunately I could not find even in expensive grocery boutiques Quebec cheddar cheese curds)
Gruyere cheese cave extracts 49% 12 months EMMI
Parmigiano-Reggiano
Mozzarella
Gouda cheese
Bryndza
Feta
Texan Chilli BBQ sauce ENCONA
Onion
Salt

I want to say that it is unusual and very tasty :) The best thing with gouda cheese in my opinion.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

THAT dish sigma, will be guaranteed to clog your arteries. You're getting as bad as Americans eating that stuff. :lol:

However, my favorite is potato skins. Bake some smaller Russet or brown-skinned potatoes for a couple of hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 176 Celsius. Take them out of the oven and let them cool enough to handle, then cut each potato in half and scoop out the insides leaving the skin and about 2 or 3 millimeters of inner potato, making a little potato boat. Save what you scooped out and put into a container and store in the refrigerator for some other meal later, like mashed potatoes. If you have a hot oil fryer, dip those hollowed out skins in the frying oil until they turn crispy and light brown, not burned. If you don't have a hot oil fryer, coat the skins with butter and broil in the oven until they turn light brown and crispy. They have to be nice and crispy to be good. Drain the skins of excess oil or butter on a towel or rack and then fill up the hollow potatoes with a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Top that with lots of bacon pieces and sliced green onions and then place them onto a shallow pan and put under a hot oven broiler until the cheese has thoroughly melted and bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for a minute or two and enjoy. It's a lot of work for a snack, but nothing good is ever easy. :wink:
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

That sounds interesting. Not sure I got this recipe from the first time as it is necessary, but I'll try to cook something like. THX
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Somebody likes to gather mushrooms and to cook meals of wild mushrooms? It would be interesting.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Just remember there's no such thing as an old mushroom hunter. :lol:
Sweet thread that I missed somehow, I'm gonna have to try and dig up some of my family's old Czech recipes. :D
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

And by the way I like to gather mushrooms, even more than cooking.
I hope these mushrooms you are growing just as we have. Many, anywhere, for free.
I filmed an old mobile phone, so not very good quality

I have as simple as a favorite recipe.

Ingredients:

Boletus (or aspen) - 6 Pieces
Onions - 1
Carrots - 1
Potatoes - 2 pieces
Garlic - two cloves
Vermicelli - 1.5. spoons
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp. a spoon
Bay leaf, pepper, salt - to taste

1. Thoroughly rinse the mushrooms under running water and cut them into pieces. Put the mushrooms in a pan of salted water, bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. The foam should be removed. Mushrooms are ready when they are sinking.
2. Cut potatoes into cubes and drop into the broth. Throw a bay leaf and pepper.
3. While the potatoes are cooked, fry in a pan onion and grated carrot.
4. Then send the vegetables in the soup. Add the grated garlic.
5. Add the vermicelli, 5 minutes later the soup is ready. Cover the pan with a lid and let stand for 15-20 minutes, serve it hot, sprinkled with fresh herbs.

Here's how it looks to me. As a drink I like kvass. Now I'm gonna eat it all :)

With great interest, I would like to try your family's old Czech recipes.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I thought you might. :)
That soup looks good -- if I can find a place to get the mushrooms I'll give it a try.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Alter-Fox wrote:I thought you might. :)
That soup looks good -- if I can find a place to get the mushrooms I'll give it a try.
Well.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm gonna have to find some time to make some of those Czech recipes then -- I'm usually working in the evenings so it could take a few weeks.
But the Czech part of my family is in town for a few days, I might be able to get something out of them in the meantime. :)
I just saw your pelmeni and I may have to try those first... I freakin' love those things, and there's no place to get them around here. :D
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I like most non-spicy Italian
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

LightWolf wrote:I like most non-spicy Italian
I'm not such a fan of italian or french food, I prefer greek.

But if I was going to give you a list of all the nations I love to eat, it would be a mile long. Not surprising when I'm from Winnipeg. :P
The top of that list would have to be Thai food when it's done authentically. Problem is most mass-market chains get it horribly wrong, I've only ever found one that does it right. Better to look for a locally-run restaurant wherever you are.
One thing I had the chance to try recently was Somali food. It's a very interesting mix of oriental, african and mediterranean, and definitely worth paying for if you can actually find it. :)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Alter-Fox wrote: I've only ever found one [mass-market chain] that does [Thai food] right.
Which one?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

It's called Wok Box, although I don't know if the states has it. But if you don't like spicy you'd probably not like it anyway. :)
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Alter-Fox wrote:I just saw your pelmeni and I may have to try those first... I freakin' love those things, and there's no place to get them around here. :D
Honestly, every time I can not believe that in the world there are people who have never tried Russian pelmeni. Well, all happens the first time :) It is a pity that there is no Russian restaurants in Wisconsin. Apparently, you have to order or make yourself on the above recipe, as close as possible to the original.
All I can do more, I can only advise you how to properly to enjoy this dish.
First, we drink 50 grams of vodka. ONLY cold Russian vodka and nothing other. Then hot pelmeni. Then pelmeni with sour cream. Then sturgeon well complements and emphasizes the taste. Then pelmeni with sour cream again. And this delight comes to an end cranberry juice.

And, I already ate it :) :wink:

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Wisconsin? I'm in Winnipeg. :lol:
I could probably find a Russian restaurant if I looked really hard. This is Winnipeg. But even if I did it would be too expensive for me right now. Google turns up near-empty.

The closest I've found is a Georgian restaurant with a few Russian dishes and no pelmeni.
I've had pelmeni once, and I've been on a quest for more ever since. :D Your recipe is the best bet I've found.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Alter-Fox wrote:Wisconsin? I'm in Winnipeg. :lol:
Stuff has been mis-translated before between Russian and English. *recalls an E&C discussion that could have found itself in NHB*
#AllLivesMatter
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Alter-Fox wrote:Wisconsin? I'm in Winnipeg. :lol:
I could probably find a Russian restaurant if I looked really hard. This is Winnipeg. But even if I did it would be too expensive for me right now. Google turns up near-empty.

The closest I've found is a Georgian restaurant with a few Russian dishes and no pelmeni.
I've had pelmeni once, and I've been on a quest for more ever since. :D Your recipe is the best bet I've found.
Of course, Winnipeg, I misspoke. Almost like Winnie the Pooh, it is necessary to memorize :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Try it necessarily, you'll remember it for a lifetime :wink:
Georgians make khinkali, not pelmeni. Pelmeni are much more delicate taste.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

By the way. For some reason I remembered the army rations :) One day I was sent to explore, and I was given dry rations. There was a bank with canned rice porridge with meat, biscuits, condensed milk and a pack of cigarettes (it's 1994, it is now much better). In fact, this can munch only a very hungry person.
Woodchip, do you remember what you were given?
Maybe someone else had a similar experience? :)