Size/weight of Intel P4 heatsink

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Size/weight of Intel P4 heatsink

Post by Vindicator »

Would anyone have an idea as to the dimensions of the heatsink/fan that comes with retail box P4s? <a href=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... >Newegg</a> has em pretty cheap, so I'm wondering if its too big or heavy for a project I have in mind. Thanks.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Roughly 3.5 x 3 x 2.5 in., or so says my trusty big red fat plastic ruler. That's including the clipping mechanisms though.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I believe the maximum weight is around 400 grams - or 1 lb. However, you better make sure that case isn't going far with that much hanging on the motherboard - and ensure ALL motherboard supports are used!
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I went ahead and bought it (cant beat $5 shipped). They sent me the newer style heatsink with the copper slug in the middle and aluminum fins extending away from it, instead of the all aluminum flat bottomed model. This may actually work better for me, since I might not have to drill holes for it. Its pretty freakin beefy, I know that for sure. The bare heatsink is 83mm x 68mm x 31mm (jeff was pretty close), with an unusually heavy 70mm fan.

Off to play with it! Image