Antialising in opengl with radeon

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Antialising in opengl with radeon

Post by Teddy »

ANyone know what driver set will let Antialising to work in d3? I've tried several sets tonight as i noticed lately that it isnt working(and knowing ATI it probably never has). The card is a radeon 9700 and i've tried catalist 3.5, 3.6, 3.9, 3.10 and the omega 3.10 and none of them let antialising work in opengl. D3d antialising works.... but of course d3d doesnt work for d3. Does anyone know of a driver set that will run most games out there and run antialing in opengl in d3?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

What do you mean D3D doesn't work in D3?

If you have a 9700 you probably have more than enough power to bear the brunt of the drop in framerate from using D3D over OGL.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

no even the 9700 dont have enough power to run d3d, and if you have ever used it you would notice that every few seconds the game will choke. I pointed this out while the 1.4 patch was being made but it was found to be a major bug with the d3d part of the 3d engine and will never be fixed(this is much more noticable if you play with v-sync on like i do). I prefer to stick to opengl since it gives me 25-40% more fps and d3d cant keep up with my refresh rate(remember i play with vsync enabled).
Besides, enableing antialising in d3d makes text unreadable.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The control panel override should work, if it isnt, then being tech savy I would uninstall the drivers, completely remove them and then reinstall. If that failed, then I would probably format. Image Only if that failed would I give up.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

this was a fresh format(and im not spending a day and a half doing that again), and the override in the control pannel is on.I borrowed my old gf4 back from my brother, and it worked the first time, so this is definitly a radeon issue....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you try any tweaker programs?
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

no, I dont see how a tweaker program will turn on a feature that already dont work......
Common guys, isnt there anyone here that has this working? I know there are several users here with radeons.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I get similar results as teddy does with the latest omega drivers.

I think I had it working with the cat 3.9s.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

hmm i have a old radeon 8500 here and antialaising works fine in opengl with catalyst (3.8 i think)
i usually disable it cause the r8500 isnt that powerfull this days.

just enable aa 2x or 4x in the opengl properties of the ati drivers. should work fine in d3.

properties->more options->opengl
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

I've used 3.5 on up and have had no luck.... I remember way back last year that it was stated that opengl was broken if 16 bit color was used in games(and of course d3 defaults to that)but suppodedly it was fixed. Over at rage 3d, from what i have read, there seems to still be major issues with antialising Image

ya I like to use 2x antialinsing while playing... at least that is what i used to use with my gf 4200.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

32 bit color does not work in D3 with OpenGL, at all. But this is probably not a D3 problem because I play D3 with 4xAA & 8xAF all the time and I almost cant play if I dont have those turned on. I suppose ATI's website is of little or no use, just like NVs website.

One bug in nvidia drivers since I have had a NV card that is most irratating is if you enable antialiasing in D3 the edges of objects in the distance turn jagged (most likely the drivers turn down the Z buffer precision, even with -z32bit enabled).

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Well, I have Cat 3.10 (Latest) installed on an absolutely fresh install of XP with an R8500 and antialising works perfectly in D3 at all resolutions supported by FSAA.

Perhaps you are trying to do AA with resolutions not supported by drivers? Although you said 2X - which should work at any res'.

I checked FSAA in UT2K3, Tron2.0, Red Faction 2, D3, Dredd vs Death and it works in every game just fine.
Teddy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Teddy »

The 3.10 drivers from ATI havent worked very well for me, games such as WHo wants to be a millionair(wifes game) just get a black screen... luckly the omega 3.10's work just fine. Mobius, if you check the list of games you list there, d3 is the only open-gl game. the rest are d3d, and as i stated above, d3d's antialising is working even though it makes text blurry and courupts menus.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Got a game based off of the quake 3 engine? Try Jedi Knight 2 if you have it, see if antialiasing works there.

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Forgot to mention Quake 3 - that's an OGL game and FSAA works in that correctly too.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Quake3 is also newer than Descent 3, and is also still supported, and has been the benchmark stalwart for a number of years.

It also probably has a more mature OGL interface.

It also doesn't switch video modes as often as Descent 3 does - thats probably the reason why AA isn't working for me or teddy.

the AA disapears in KOTOR after a movie is played, and KOTOR starts up by first showing a handful of movies... then it switches into OGL for the menu. I can change the FSAA settings in game.

Descent 3 probably does something similar - and it only switches to the 3d engine only for the game proper.