Commercials

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Commercials

Post by Vander »

Am I crazy or are television commercials for cabinet members a new thing? I can't remember a time I've ever seen such ads after an election. It's mostly pro Trump stuff, but I did see one against Tillerson a couple weeks ago.

Was I just not paying attention before, or are these a new thing?
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Commercials

Post by callmeslick »

noticed that, never saw it before, ever.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I just saw one for Betsy DeVoss. I guess that's what we get when we elect a commercial TV showman for president. It does make one wonder where the money is coming from to pay for those commercials however. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I certainly understand why the Russian television managers drive their Bentley.
But precisely for this reason I stopped watching TV at all.
It is simply impossible to watch ads every fifteen minutes.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I guess they don't have DVRs in Russia.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

LOL. I do not ride on their cars )))
But I saw that there seems to have everything you need and don't need.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:I guess they don't have DVRs in Russia.
I wouldn't gloat Spidey. Comcast is slowly breaking our DVR with their variable compression schemes. Skip rewinding is almost impossible now because it will stop at a group of frames and won't go any further, unless you slo-mo in reverse just to get past that point, then hit skip back. It won't be long before the forward commercial skip feature will be disabled at the request of the advertisers as well.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Serves you right for using Comcast... :P

Actually I have never had a TV service that uses commercial skip, so I just use 30 second skip anyway.

I know commercial skip is a little faster, but I never expected it to last anyway.

DirectTV had a sort of commercial skip, it just stopped in the right place after using 30 second skip, but didn't actually call it commercial skip...it just stopped in the right place if you skipped through the last one.

Now I have FIOS...and don't get me started on the crappy DVR software... :x
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I don't watch TV, but when I did - they never had anything like that.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Serves you right for using Comcast... :P

Actually I have never had a TV service that uses commercial skip, so I just use 30 second skip anyway.

I know commercial skip is a little faster, but I never expected it to last anyway.

DirectTV had a sort of commercial skip, it just stopped in the right place after using 30 second skip, but didn't actually call it commercial skip...it just stopped in the right place if you skipped through the last one.

Now I have FIOS...and don't get me started on the crappy DVR software... :x
Like I have a choice. :roll: Comcast has a monopoly here. Century Link can't be bothered to upgrade their infrastructure for their version of TV and Satellite service is notorious for lousier service and picture quality than Comcast. I WAS talking about 30 second skip, forward and backwards on my DVR too. With what appears to be the use of variable bit rate compression, 30 seconds ain't 30 seconds sometimes, depending on the channel affected and the issue is creeping into more and more channels. It's the going 30 backwards part that's now royally effed up. My husband is now theorizing (can't find out one way or another) that there are groups or blocks of pictures in the cable feed that are the result of the variable compression algorithms that Comcast has started using, all in order to squeeze more and more content onto their one little copper wire. If you try to back up 30 seconds on certain channels, it hits a wall and won't back up any further. You have to hit slo-mo backwards to get past that point, THEN hit the 30 second skip backwards to go any further. It's quite annoying. And skipping forwards isn't really 30 seconds anymore either. Half the time it ends up IN the program, which then facilitates a 30 second backup, which THEN hits the picture frame wall problem. :x

=======

Back to the original post. Just saw an ad this morning in support for Judge Gorsuch, paid for by the NRA, the Koch Brothers and antiabortion groups. After seeing the ad, it makes me want to fight against his nomination even more. :roll:

http://sidebarforplaintiffs.naomifein.net/?p=31538

Now the opposition has gotten the same idea and started up a ad against Gorsuch, sponsored by the People for the American Way.

http://www.pfaw.org/press-releases/pfaw ... e-gorsuch/

I've also starting seeing a strange set of anti-union ads. Something really murky is going on in Washington State if you read all the stories in the link below.

http://knkx.org/post/lawsuit-claims-sta ... heir-union

And the ads are being paid for by this conservative group.

https://www.freedomfoundation.com/blogs ... ing-to-her