Ancestral origins map...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Post Reply
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed May 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I got my genetic ancestral origins map yesterday, it's really neat! :)

Image

Confirmed most of what I was told- but I didn't know I had some Turkish (asia minor) ancestry.
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm

And I also had some unexpected genetic traces from east Asia (probably from the origins of Native Americans that crossed the Bering Strait land bridge during the ice ages.)

Image
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Posts: 15162
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:01 am
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Krom » Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 pm

And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Image
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Krom wrote:And here I was expecting something more along the lines of this:
Image
Nope. Pretty sure that one is you and slick. :P
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10600
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Tunnelcat » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Where did you go to get your information NS?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed May 31, 2017 11:34 pm

Tunnelcat wrote:Where did you go to get your information NS?
Family Tree DNA. https://www.familytreedna.com

I was very curious what my results were- so I ordered a test kit. It got great reviews and was actually cheaper than Ancestry.com or 23 And Me.

The "Family Finder" option is $89 and takes about three months for them to process and give you your results.

You don't only get your ancestry map but other features like finding lots of people you've never heard of that're related to you.
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master
Posts: 10600
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, where you don't tan, you rust.

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Tunnelcat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm

I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am

Any other Native American origin Descent players out there? ;)
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 am

Tunnelcat wrote:I was wondering if there was a better place to find out family history than Ancestry.com. Even though they claim that they're not owned by the Mormons, the company seems a little too conveniently placed right in the middle of Utah. I might just try out your site. I'm curious about my family history too. All of my grandparents are dead now and the kicker is that when they were alive, I was too young and arrogant to pay attention to what I considered their old fuddy duddy family history stories. Now I wish I had. All I know is that there is a some German and British in my background and my husband has a lot of Swedish,British and German ancestry.
BTW, TC! They're having another sale! Image

https://www.familytreedna.com/
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am

You know...

Elizabeth Warren did claim to have Native American ancestry...she could put all doubts to rest if she had one of these tests done. Why doesn't she? ;)
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
User avatar
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 5434
Joined: Fri May 28, 1999 2:01 am
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Sirius » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm

It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.
User avatar
Nightshade
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender
Posts: 4566
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Ancestral origins map...

Post by Nightshade » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Sirius wrote:It is possible she already has, and hasn't published the results, or that she knows through other means (e.g. genealogical records). I'm not even sure it isn't public knowledge - I suspect the point is more how much bearing it should have on anything. e.g. I have some Maori ancestry (native people of New Zealand), but it's a shade under 10%, and I don't look Maori or have much involvement with Maori culture, so I would feel like kind of a fraud if I claimed to be one.
She did claim ancestry to get minority status in the universities/law schools she attended it seems. Perhaps I should have as well.
.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Post Reply