Levels of the World & Anniversary Edition - any good ones?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Levels of the World & Anniversary Edition - any good ones?

Post by kakhome1 »

Are there any good D1 levels you'd recommend within these two compilations? If there are, I'd appreciate a list of anything you can think of.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Levels of the World & Anniversary Edition - any good ones?

Post by LightWolf »

Demon Bridge is fairly innovative.

Quick note: Beware the multitude of corrupted levels. There are also a few bad .MSN files - you just need a good idea of how to use Notepad (or equivalent) to fix these though.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Good? Levels of the World?
I don't understand this concept.

And I wouldn't remember the names of the good ones even if I theoretically did. Guess you'll have to slog through the crap just like I did. :P
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Turncoat and Corkscrew look alright. There's other old D1 levels that look decent in here: http://www.descent2.de/files/missions/3 ... velpack.7z

But I'd have to check one by one to see if they are LotW levels.

Anyone played Cierco Outpost? That's a level that isn't in the file I linked to above, but looking at its layout seemed like it was far about most others in LotW.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I can't remember if it was a LOTW one, but there was a fun D1 level that used the 4D effect on the sides of a cube made of doors.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I played Cicero. That was one of the few gems.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Is it up on the same level is Corkscrew, Tribyss Omega, and Turncoat?

I wish D1 had more good campaigns. Not counting a few D2 conversions, there are really only five at most I can think of that were actually made for D1 (Orion, Ironstar/blade, Vignettes, and Nefarious Assault) and even most of those (let's make an exception for Vignettes) aren't up to the same level as the best of what's out there for D2. No knock against D2, just variety. D1 does have its own charm sometimes.

Anyone know of any other good D1 missions or especially good single levels to try? I'm already familiar with Dragon Fortress, Fae, Jade, Aurora Outpost, Miranda Incident, and The Violet Caves (in terms of not-previously-mentioned single levels that look like they might actually be good).
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Demon Bridge definitely comes to mind first. There was also one called Super Station, which at least architecturally was pretty amazing for its time. It had wonky texturing though, and that really brings it down. Also Death Star - that one's a classic, and it is pretty much what it says on the tin.

Overall, the Levels of the World contain some very interesting concepts, but the execution is not up to even Parallax standards in many aspects - mostly sensible texturing, but sometimes even geometry.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

A long time ago, in what I think is the first custom Descent level set I ever played, I played an expanded version of 'Death Star' as Level 5 of a set called 'The Rogue Missions'. It's fairly hard to find online. This expanded version was a really, really long level, at the time. (It certainly is far from the record-holder for length now!)

Super Station is actually by Luke Schneider, one who is definitely known for bigger things. He also did a one-off level for D2 called 'Juggernaut' before his main ventures.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Xfing wrote:Demon Bridge definitely comes to mind first. There was also one called Super Station, which at least architecturally was pretty amazing for its time. It had wonky texturing though, and that really brings it down. Also Death Star - that one's a classic, and it is pretty much what it says on the tin.

Overall, the Levels of the World contain some very interesting concepts, but the execution is not up to even Parallax standards in many aspects - mostly sensible texturing, but sometimes even geometry.
Agreed.

Demon Bridge, Super Station, and Outpost Death are all by Luke Schneider. Super Station's textures sometimes create a "modern art" type space, but the level itself is fantastic. Other good LOTW are Corkscrew and Cicero Outpost (as mentioned above). Here are a couple more that I found had some replayabiliy: Deep-Pit Mine (by Curtis Houghton), Meridian / Panic (by Will Loconto), and MARS (by Todd Belcher).

There is a lot of garbage in LOTW, haha.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

kakhome1 wrote:Anyone know of any other good [non-LOTW] D1 missions or especially good single levels to try?
Eris Rebellion is pretty OK. It's not the best mission in terms of quality, but it definitely beats 99% of LOTW. If I had one complaint, however, it's that it lacks a boss.
Back to LOTW, Deep Jovian Mine isn't too bad. Nor is Alexander.

C.O.D. converted to D2 is a good test level if you're into modding :wink:
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

@LightWolf What do you think, besides Vignettes, are the best Descent I missions (>1 level) in terms of quality?

Also - anyone know of other good Descent I individual levels besides LotW 'gems' and the ones listed below?:

Dragon Fortress
Fae
Jade
Aurora Outpost
Miranda Incident
The Violet Caves
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

DFW's D1 conversions of D2 missions are pretty good.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Which missions are you referring to specifically, besides Lost Levels?
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Apocalyptic factor
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

What are some of the top missions that aren't conversions (and aside from Vignettes)? What are done of the best non LOTW single levels (including any good Anniversary Edition ones)?

Plus you'd said AF had gotten you bored.

Alternatively I sent a message (for LightWolf). Either type of response would be fine.
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

Magnum 4
It's just a game. Face it.