* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Descent videos
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Not sure if this topic may exist in another forum, but just thought it would be nice to have a thread for anyone with Descent videos they'd like to share, as well as for related commentary.

I've been recording Descent myself lately for the first time with a cold start (might exempt Level 25 here though), casual, Hotshot, no saves playthrough of TEW in progress:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT ... Xe9fNVzhDq

All commentary is welcome (either here or on YT)! :)

Post subject: Re: Descent videos
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Vertigo Speedrun

New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Anyone knows how to make youtube videos easier to find in Google or other search engines? Still have problem finding my own videos by keywords like "Descent", "Enemy Vignettes", "level 12", "Insane difficulty" etc.While I cannot find other's videos by similar keywords easily. I specified meaningful name for the video and good set of keywords for it. Here is the video.

I am going to start uploading my Inane difficulty walk-through of Enemy Vignettes and Lost Levels for D2 (along with some old cold-start videos for CS and TEW) as soon as I find a way to solve this problem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:32 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

The best way is to crack Google's relevance algorithm - however a video (rightly IMO) discouraged that practice. The only other way is to boost popularity for the videos.

New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 pm 
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

AOL: DarkFlameWolfie
People are doing insane runs of my levels? You people be CRAZY! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Your levels are the best :D

As for videos, they're not mine but my recommendation would be for Calmarius (now CalmariusDescent)'s very high-skilled playthroughs - Insane, full rescue/no death/100+ HP at exit. He's done D1, D2, Vertigo, LOTW, Vignettes, and TEW and is currently working his way through everything on the DMDB. Currently in the midst of the Anniversary Edition Level Design Contest stuff - got some real 1996 architecture in there :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Well I found that a) my channel is still not Verified b) There are less than 3 public videos. Maybe that's why it is not still searchable. Hope this will go be fixed after I'll do verification and upload more. Will start from Lost Levels however; then Enemy Vignettes (finished Insane full rescue no death no save runs for both).
I agree completely, DFW levels are among the best i've played, as are Sirius and Darkhorse's. Especially if you want some real challenge. About Calmarius, I'd like to see how he will manage LL and EV on cold start! Or AF. Well, even non-cold start! Also I'm looking at AE stuff he posts, unfortunately the level design is much inferior even to First Strike IMO (except maybe Grant's levels and Colossus).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:04 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Yeah those levels are from around 1995-1996 (as is the LOTW stuff). That was the era where you'd get CDs like D!Zone with "thousands of levels!" many of which crashed the game or had no exits or things stuck in walls or geometry that rendered the level unplayable. It's not hard to believe that the AE/LOTW stuff really is the best that was available around that time. Also I think the tools were much more primitive - I don't recall much about messing around in DMB except that there were many, many crashes.

Good luck with Youtube m8! I just searched "Descent enemy vignettes" (without quotes) and you were the first result so it looks like you're all good. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Here is the playlist with my Lost Levels for D2 Insane no save no death full rescue runs (with weapon mods off starting from level 5).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oWP4l_kDY3
Only 2 levels uploaded now, but I plan to upload a few every day (they are already recorded), and also add another playlist with similar Enemy Vignettes play-trough very soon. BTW I did not found any Insane of even Ace difficulty walk-thoughts of Lost levels and virtually nothing on Enemy Vignettes on youtube! So hope it will be interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

A lot of missions lack a high-difficulty walkthrough. I think the major ones Calmarius did like TEW and the original Vignettes for D1 set are actually more an exception than a rule. I can't think of any other major unofficial missions that have one off the top of my head, though I can't guarantee I'm not forgetting about one. It had actually led me to think that perhaps Insane (or maybe even Ace) is hardly ever even played in Descent (II).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am 
The Feline Menace

Well, considering by and large and everything, Descent II is hardly ever played.

But yeah. I don't think anyone here can really speak for anyone else. Because a lot of these people are pretty private folks who don't like to record videos of every little thing.
And yes, on the internet that's basically sacrilege, but it is what it is.

Also beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:32 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Here is my new list for Enemy Vignettes Insane no death no save play-through.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... lymer=true