If I didn't already think the NFL/NBA were garbage enough...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

...this would continue to confirm it.

Multi-millionaires making "powerful statements" by "bravely" disrespecting the country that made their careers possible to begin with.

And for what? Supposed 'injustice' of a few black men being shot in the act of committing crimes and resisting arrest or assaulting police officers- the majority of incidents being justified self-defense by the police.

So yeah, they have the right to "protest," but I also have the right to turn that garbage off.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: If I didn't already think the NFL/NBA were garbage enough...

Post by vision »

I would like to turn you off.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I can think of little more fascist than enforcing mindless tributes towards a symbol. If you think what they're doing is "disrespect," then you're a goddamn fool.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Seems to me TB had two options here. 1) recognize that yesterday's actions were in complete alignment with his purported championing of free speech or 2) be a tribal hack and completely miss the point that the previously small handful people kneeling as protest were joined yesterday not by people joining in that protest, but by people supporting their right to do so against a President who called for their firing.

I'm shocked SHOCKED! at the option he took.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No shock here. Having lived through the 1960's, the Vietnam War protests and the commie scare era of McCarthy, he's doing the exact same thing his ancestors before him did, just being a prototypical American flag waving patriotic conservative. But like most conservatives, they tend to shroud themselves in the cloak of patriotic hypocrisy. Conservatives defend and demand their free speech rights, that anyone can say anything against anyone else, even if it's loaded with hateful and racist messages. But oh boy, disrespect the flag in any way and those people automatically become anti-American slimebags deserving of derision, suppression and shaming. NS whines and moans constantly about liberals going after free speech, and I agree they've got their own issues with that right now, but the free speech of a bunch of white supremacists marching through the streets of an American city, bearing torches and yelling anti-Semitic and racists rants, while one of them runs over a counter-protestor and kills her with his car, doesn't warrant the same bold response. However, when a bunch of black NFL football players decide to silently protest the treatment of their brethren by the police on the streets of this very country by kneeling during the Pledge of Allegiance, NOW NS's fur gets rubbed the wrong way and it suddenly becomes an unpatriotic and un-American act and those players should just shut up and stand up like true Americans, because they're disrespecting the flag. But like most conservatives, he totally forgets that the flag also represents the freedom of those black football player's to protest something nasty going on in the very streets of our own supposedly free country. Don't forget that protesting against our own country and it's government is also protected free speech.

I also want to applaud NS for getting drawn into yet another Trump distraction. Sucker. Even the media's been suckered. They've latched onto Trump's little SOB NFL player rant like flies to a turd. You'll notice that when something is not going well for Mr. Trump, he opens his fat trap and starts some controversy during one of his little blowjob rallies. In this case, the probable impending failure of repealing Obamacare. The man just can't stand to LOSE at something.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

And like I said in my original post- they have every right to protest...but I also have every right to turn off the TV.

Is Trump being a fool as usual? Yes- but the popular culture at large (media, Hollywood, and other highly paid elite) seem to be disrespecting the country that made their positions of money and power possible.

It's getting a little old and the 'little people' are starting to have enough.

Trump distraction or not- this is just showing us how the elite feel about our collective heritage as a country. They're all giving us the finger.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So what do you want, force everyone to stand up like little automatons and pledge allegiance to the flag just because they're told to do so by a bunch of so-called patriots? "Patriots" that seem to have forgotten all about the Constitution, the First Amendment and free speech, even against the flag?

Street v. New York 1969

It's unconstitutional to prohibit speech against the flag. If you cherish the Constitution, you and your ticked off "patriots" are going to have to deal with it, suck it up and move on.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote: Trump distraction or not- this is just showing us how the elite feel about our collective heritage as a country. They're all giving us the finger.
Ah yes, the "collective heritage" of the Department of Defense using our tax dollars to pay for military tributes at sporting events. Or the heritage of NFL players not even regularly being on the field during the National Anthem until 2009. To which one were you referring?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote:our collective heritage as a country.

The collective heritage of the united states of america is to cherish and support the individuals' freedom to assemble, to protest injustices, to speak their mind without fear of government retaliation, to live in relative peace.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Top Gun wrote:
Nightshade wrote: Trump distraction or not- this is just showing us how the elite feel about our collective heritage as a country. They're all giving us the finger.
Ah yes, the "collective heritage" of the Department of Defense using our tax dollars to pay for military tributes at sporting events. Or the heritage of NFL players not even regularly being on the field during the National Anthem until 2009. To which one were you referring?
I was wondering about that little change the NFL made in 2009.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... nd-sports/

As for respecting our flag and our country, the most important one would be to serve in the military for our country during a time of war. What did Trump do when he was called upon back when he was a young man? Why, he had his daddy call in a favor, like every other rich daddy did back then, to get his son exempted from service with a legal "out", a medical exemption, which were those debilitating "heel spurs". And who were the ones to be called un-American? All those young protestors who weren't so well connected and rich. :roll:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Just so all you flag waving conservative patriots don't feel alone, even card carrying union guys have resorted to a little violence and ass-kicking in order to defend the honor of our country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Hat_Riot

By the way NS, has it ever dawned on you that just maybe these NFL players are banding together en mass to disrespect our bully-in-chief Trump and not the flag? Trump's the one who called them all SOB's in the first place. He makes a far better target. :wink:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nice to see fascist assholes are nothing new.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

was going to drop this in the image thread, but doesn't this really sum the current firestorm?

"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote:By the way NS, has it ever dawned on you that just maybe these NFL players are banding together en mass to disrespect our bully-in-chief Trump and not the flag? Trump's the one who called them all SOB's in the first place. He makes a far better target. :wink:
Well sure- I completely understand protesting Trump the dumbass...but to basically attack the entire country and what it's founding principles are?

That's what they're doing whether the realize it or not.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

So ppl in the NFLim aren't standing for the national anthem... good! Americans are brainwashed from childhood to love their country and to vote for politicians etc. They consent to things like mass human extermination and send their own children off to die and to be traumatized in wars for profit.

Don't vote. Voting is for people who are blinded by the illusion of choice.

Don't say the pledge of allegiance or stand during the national anthem. You are being brainwashed!

You live on a human farm. Revolt and be vigilant! :)

Thoughts? ^_^
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

apparently NS needs clarification:

got it?
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote:
Tunnelcat wrote:By the way NS, has it ever dawned on you that just maybe these NFL players are banding together en mass to disrespect our bully-in-chief Trump and not the flag? Trump's the one who called them all SOB's in the first place. He makes a far better target. :wink:
Well sure- I completely understand protesting Trump the dumbass...but to basically attack the entire country and what it's founding principles are?

I'm willing to bet if so-called patriotic Americans quit waving this symbol of American disrespect around, you'd soon see the going-to-the-knee-during-the-National-Anthem disrespect disappear as well. :wink:

And FYI, it was a red-blooded Green Beret who gave Colin Kaepernick the idea of kneeling in protest during the Anthem.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here ... -kneeling/
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Funny thing is...

The protest is deliberately designed to be offensive, but somehow the offended are the bad guys.

(not that there any actual bad guys here)
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

who the ★■◆● ever said it was designed to offend?? Did you get that from TCs link?
George Orwell---"1984"
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Nightshade wrote:

You mean "founding principles" like freedom of expression and a rejection of blind allegiance to symbols (like, say the monarchy)?

It continues to amuse me how the rednecks yelling BUT 'MURICA don't have the least goddamn clue about why this country started in the first place. I guess when you spend all day jerking off to military fetishism you don't have time to crack a history textbook.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

pretty much
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Funny thing is...

The protest is deliberately designed to be offensive, but somehow the offended are the bad guys.

(not that there any actual bad guys here)
The action of waving or displaying the Confederate flag is also offensive to a certain segment of American citizens and it's just as disrespectful towards our nation. In fact, displaying ANY flag (other than state flags) as a symbol of our nation other than the Stars and Strips is the ultimate in disrespect. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I agree...not sure what the point is other than the usual behavior excuse based on the fact that others do things that are just as bad or worse...but I do agree.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

was I the only one smelling this stench over the past few days? No, apparently:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09 ... -says.html
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Maybe if we hadn't elected an unAmerican Putin-loving president that was more interested in lapping up that Russian propaganda and repeating it over and over as the "real news" just to win, we wouldn't be in this mess. You know what slick, if all this had come to light BEFORE the election, I'd have voted for Hillary just to flip the bird at the damn meddling Russians, not that it would have made any difference in Oregon since she won here. It's too bad we now have a president who's pretty much loves them as business partners first, before country, and who would never in a million years order our own cyberwar agencies to go after them with extreme prejudice.