Antibiotics in your burger?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Antibiotics in your burger?

Post by Nightshade »

Did your fave fast food parlor make the grade?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/health/fa ... index.html

Antibiotics and hormones in meats can cause unwanted effects and disease in people including cancer and/or antibiotic resistant disease organisms.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Antibiotics in your burger?

Post by vision »

I had Chipotle about 9 months ago, but that was the last time I visited any of those places, except Starbucks every couple months when I want to remind myself how shitty their coffee is. I think I had some beans and potatoes from KFC two years ago. Maybe had Subway once last year. I live where these places can't get a foothold because the food the offer is expensive crap compared to local restaurants.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

We've got a Panera here and the food is great. But gads, I wish we had a Chick-fil-A. I love their food. All the other fast food places pretty much have inedible food. I don't go there anymore. It's local resturaunts all the way for me. However, I used to love McDonald's french fries, but now they taste like fried cardboard and suck all the moisture out of your mouth in the first bite. In fact, I haven't had any decent french fries from anyone for years. Must be to sell more soda just to put the moisture back in your mouth. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Chipotle probably had an A for low antibiotic use and has had, what, 5 incidents of E. Coli and Listeria outbreaks. Ya pick your poison, as my Dad used to say.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from a lot of fast food joints as well. I swear that I've gotten sick more times in the last few years from fast food joints than from any other restaurant. Of course, it could be that my old digestive system just can't fight off a good dose of listeria anymore.They seem to have gotten dirtier and more run down like they're milking the business until it dies and they can retire. The franchise owners just don't seem to give a damn. Most of their places, at least around here, are grungy and rundown and the food is downright revolting. The employees usually don't like their jobs, aren't paid decently and don't care anyway.

I've also no longer buy those frozen dinners and soups that you see in the grocery store anymore. They're just plain gross and contain cheap ingredients loaded with hormones, chemicals, lots of tasteless pasta and weird spices and I can stomach Indian food. Any meat you find in them can at best be called "mystery meat". You know the residual stuff they hose off the bones and glue back together just so they can cut it up into cubes and call it steak or chicken pieces. :huh: I seriously doubt these food company CEO's even eat their own products.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

one of the joys of retirement is that I can eat more heathfully. We eat out at restaurants maybe 4 times per week on average(more lunches), but at real restaurants, not fast food too much. My diet when working was abyssmal.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

callmeslick wrote:My diet when working was abyssmal.
Agreed. I used to travel a lot and because of the odd times and places I would work, sometimes my only option was a gas station. My friend has gained like 50 pounds over the last decade because he's travels for work (although he'll usually spend extra to stay in a hotel will a grill to eat a little healthier).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:one of the joys of retirement is that I can eat more heathfully. We eat out at restaurants maybe 4 times per week on average(more lunches), but at real restaurants, not fast food too much. My diet when working was abyssmal.
That's why I started grinding my own meat when I want burgers or tacos and cooking a lot of my meals from scratch. I can control the calories and portion sizes much better. I even resorted to Sous Vide cooking for my steaks just to make sure everything is safely pasteurized without overcooking it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

ITT nobody read the article and simply reacted to TB's one-line butchering of the story.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

What would be the point of reading the article? It's just another shitpost by TB.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Personally, I did read the story and I reacted by saying I no longer eat at those places for some of the reasons NS pointed out. Hormone laced crappy food that shouldn't be rewarded with my business.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I too read it, quickly, and gave my response. Low antibiotics and repeated bacterial outbreaks. Sometimes this food safety ★■◆● gets complex.
George Orwell---"1984"