How do I run PLTRON32?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

How do I run PLTRON32?

Post by ShivanHunter »

On Win7 (regardless of compatibility settings), it actually opens but is unresponsive, a button at the top keeps "clicking" as if it's being repeatedly pressed, and it eventually crashes.

In VMLite XP Mode, it crashes immediately, saying that "pmv.exe" needs to close.

In both cases I've installed the Robot Construction Kit and the DLLPAK (dp1105.exe, rck03b.exe and rck03bu.exe from here. What else do I need? What environment do I need to make sure it works?

Incidentally, HAXMED32 runs fine on Win7 - but none of the others do.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: How do I run PLTRON32?

Post by Krom »

Pretty sure it needs some obscure windows 9x opengl driver. You could try going into your video cards compatibility settings, selecting polytron32 and limiting the number of opengl extensions reported to it. Both amd and nvidia drivers should have an option for that because too many extensions can crash older applications that aren't expecting them.

I don't think polytron32 needs dllpack 2.0, but shouldn't hurt to install it anyway.

If that doesn't work, then its time to grab the windows debugging toolkit and launch polytron32 through the debugger to see if you can catch the error.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

>limiting the number of opengl extensions

NVidia Control Panel does not have that option.

I'll try a few different driver versions for my GTX 780 and see if anything helps but I doubt it. Might try to get it running on my laptop too. (Hell, I still have a Linux partition on there... could try WINE)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Damn, they used to have an option there, looks like it was removed some time back and won't return because it was too buggy apparently. However it seems you can still override it per application with nvidia inspector, might be worth a try. Though there is no guarantee that is actually what is causing the crash.
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Didn't do anything with any of the settings I tried, but it works in WINE! So at least there's that :P