I guess it's ok to punch leftists.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re: I guess it's ok to punch leftists.

Post by Ferno »

vision wrote:We both agree that SJWs have been pushing the limits of acceptability, but at the same time I wonder what else can be done? Staying the course doesn't seem to be working. Especially regarding feminism, I know a few old bigots who think feminism was a trend decades ago and has no relevance today. (One of these guys voted for Trump over Clinton because, and I quote, "The job of president is for a man, not a woman." Granted the guy is in his mid-70s, but he's also a voter.)

Maybe with everyone's help we can find examples of things that both raise awareness and have meaningful impact in today's cultural climate, then politely ask SJWs to do that instead? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

LOL.

I had a good laugh out of the outdated and horribly sexist response you got from the old man. Second wave feminists had it right -- they marched in the streets, demanding change; but through LEGAL means. The Courts. The Hearts and Minds. Convincing people what is and is not acceptable via constructive discourse.

It's actually shameful to see social progress being perverted and reversed by people who think forcing others into silence with violence is acceptable.

Try to imagine this scenario (you too, slick). You want to work for change, but you are told that you are racist, that you're scum, that you're a misogynist -- even when you're not, when the only thing you've done wrong, is you were born white; straight; and with a penis. Would you view that as okay, or would you go 'hold the phone here!'
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Ferno wrote:Try to imagine this scenario (you too, slick). You want to work for change, but you are told that you are racist, that you're scum, that you're a misogynist -- even when you're not, when the only thing you've done wrong, is you were born white; straight; and with a penis. Would you view that as okay, or would you go 'hold the phone here!'
I guess it depends on the context. If someone is saying that generally about white, straight men, I can see it as a rhetorical statement. I personally know an uncomfortable number of people who fit the description (although some of them are friends and it's hard for me to label them as scum, even though they are clearly racist and sexist). If it was said to me personally I would like the opportunity to have a conversation about it. Speaking of, I would like to see more good debates on social issues. I would like to see new wave feminists hone in on specific issues that can be debated and make an effort to change minds, preferably in front of an audience against someone with good counter arguments. If these feminists exist, these are the people SJWs should emulate.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

SJW is a cheap, anti-intellectual perjorative, used by the feeble minded to rail against folks they don't share opinions with. To your example, Ferno, I generally agree with Vision's nuance on the matter.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"