Military spending

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Military spending

Post by Burlyman »

What do you think about military spending? Do you think military budgets should be cut more? Where do you think the money should be re-allocated? Do you come from a country that has different priorities than the United States? If so, how does your government prioritize what it spends money on?
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Military spending

Post by Nightshade »

Military spending is an absolute waste of money- but one that is made necessary by hostile powers like China.

Humans just aren't evolved enough yet for me to say the US no longer needed a military.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I agree with nightshade .

In Canada we don't spend much on military. It goes more for Healthcare etc
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Spending should be kept as/is, but the military should be folding under the EPA, and we should be carpet bombing fossil fuel company headquarters. I'm probably ok with the use of chemical weapons as well.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Do you think some form of force is necessary to ensure peace, even among an enlightened people, like "just in case?"

Also, other than chemical weapons, should there be stronger weapons on the small scale and on large scale that aren't WMDs or should conventional weapons and strategies be left as is?
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Unfortunately an enormous amount of what we consider the military consists of private contractors. A huge part of the budget goes directly into the hands of average citizens. Not sure what can be done there.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

CDN_Merlin wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 am I agree with nightshade .

In Canada we don't spend much on military. It goes more for Healthcare etc
And you know why? Because it's the USA that shoulders most of the burden of protecting the western world while the rest of the west takes a free ride.

Canada should pay more and the US should pay less. I wouldn't mind if more western countries built up their militaries while the US shrunk theirs.

It's time they protect their own people. ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Nightshade, I agree. I wish if we could all get along but sadly that will never happen
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Don't buy into it, Merlin. It's just another form of "Foreign countries should pay more for NATO participation". It fundamentally misses the point because that's not how it works.

Let's take it to the logical end. Canada should remove all its military from everywhere, and give America zero assistance or cooperation when they go to war.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ferno, if another country attacks Canada, we don't have enough military might to hold them off let alone win.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Who is Canada threatened by?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm Who is Canada threatened by?
Russia.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My thoughts? Swap NASA's budget with the defense budget. Done.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 pm My thoughts? Swap NASA's budget with the defense budget. Done.
I wish. That would be awesome... (Well...maybe not. NASA has been blowing billions on SLS which will facking never go anywhere other than fatten their employee wallets.)

Maybe swap the defense budget to Elon Musk. :)

(That is if Elon isn't locked away in the looney bin first.) :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

The military is flush with money and spending it like it's never going to end. Meanwhile, our nation's public infrastructure is a crumbling mess.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

CDN_Merlin wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 am Ferno, if another country attacks Canada, we don't have enough military might to hold them off let alone win.
Strength alone doesn't always win a fight.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Ferno wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm Strength alone doesn't always win a fight.
..and when the Russians or China annex your ass like another Crimea, then what? Last time I saw, Canada's population was rather small, huddled to the southern border in a huge resource-rich land.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 pm..and when the Russians or China annex your ass like another Crimea, then what? Last time I saw, Canada's population was rather small, huddled to the southern border in a huge resource-rich land.
Hi. I would like to point out that in the annexation Crimea and occupation of Eastern Ukraine is possible not because of military strength, but because of political will. In both instances, political leaning also followed geography. There was very little military involvement. Since Canadians have no political sympathy for either Russia or China the only way to "annex" any part of Canada is through a military exercise that would immediately start a world war.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

vision wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:21 pm Since Canadians have no political sympathy for either Russia or China the only way to "annex" any part of Canada is through a military exercise that would immediately start a world war.
...and only because Canada would be depending on the US to threaten that world war. Canada has little to no capacity to provide deterrence on its own.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Nightshade wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 pm
Ferno wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm Strength alone doesn't always win a fight.
..and when the Russians or China annex your ass like another Crimea, then what? Last time I saw, Canada's population was rather small, huddled to the southern border in a huge resource-rich land.
There's that american bravado again.. thinking the world can't get along without them.

Now tell me.. who's stuck in an endless unwinnable war in the desert? Oh that's right.. America. Thought you could win that one, eh? No american, especially you, can tell the world that you're better.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

China and Russia would stand no chance whatsoever of being able to annex Canada even if the United States did absolutely nothing about it. Have a little faith in your allies, or at the very least in geography.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 pm China and Russia would stand no chance whatsoever of being able to annex Canada even if the United States did absolutely nothing about it. Have a little faith in your allies, or at the very least in geography.
Geography? The Russians are coveting that geography as you read this sentence. They've already claimed the continental shelf, dropping little metal Russian flags from a sub under the icecap https://freebeacon.com/national-securit ... tic-ocean/ .

So who is going to stop them from pulling a 'China 9-dashed line' in the arctic? It's not going to be Canada.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Funny how you're super-paranoid about Russia invading Canada while simultaneously ignoring Russia directly interfering in US elections and almost certainly holding huge amounts of dirt on the current president.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Gun wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 pm ...holding huge amounts of dirt on the current president.
That's yet to be seen.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Look at the amount of indictments and cooperation deals that's surrounding this probe.

You're going to have a ★■◆● ton of egg on your face when it finally drops.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

When Canada gets invaded, they will be saved by a plucky band of high school students.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Russia is not going to invade Canada anytime soon, but it does look like they have designs on some of Canada’s North Sea resources. I’m pretty sure the biggest deterrent there is the American sub marine force.

But yea…I would love to see the rest of the world brag about how much money they spend on social programs without the worlds bully on their side.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:35 pmThey've already claimed the continental shelf, dropping little metal Russian flags from a sub under the icecap https://freebeacon.com/national-securit ... tic-ocean/
LOL
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Spidey wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am But yea…I would love to see the rest of the world brag about how much money they spend on social programs without the worlds bully on their side.
Well then let's stop being a ★■◆●ing bully and start worrying about our own ★■◆●.