The 'accidental' racism...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

The 'accidental' racism...

Post by Nightshade »

...of white leftists made fun of in an ancient cartoon. It's funny how this 'soft racism' being echoed in leftist academia and in "mainstream" media today. The pandering and condescension continues.

Fritz the Cat was a very weird 'edgy' cartoon from the early 70s- but some bits like this clip made interesting social commentary.

I never saw the whole movie as it's got creepy animated x-rated stuff.

Seems the 70s were really weird.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: The 'accidental' racism...

Post by TigerRaptor »

Not even Rock & Rule and Cool World come close to the weirdness of that cartoon.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

The clip needs more context. Where is the rest of it?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

vision wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm The clip needs more context. Where is the rest of it?
In the bathtub. :wink:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I actually own the DVD of Fritz the Cat. My husband and I collected weird and strange animation and usually went to all the animation festivals going around the theaters at that time. There was some really talented stuff being put out back then, but Fritz was one of the more edgy, x-rated and racist underground cartoons of the time and I cringed when I saw it. I haven't seen it in years either. But you'll have to remember that our country had just come out of the race riots of the 1960's and of course the sexual revolution. Americans in the 70's tended to go overboard with their PC responses towards Black Americans and generally went crazy with their new found sexual freedoms, especially in the underground media. The 1970's were definitely a strange decade. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

vision wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm The clip needs more context. Where is the rest of it?
You can still get the Fritz the Cat series of animations on DVD. Watch them if you're inclined, but you may have to bleach your eyeballs afterwards. Definitely x-rated. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

ITT TB whines about "soft racism" while giving literal ★■◆● Nazis a free pass.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:37 pmYou can still get the Fritz the Cat series of animations on DVD. Watch them if you're inclined, but you may have to bleach your eyeballs afterwards.
I'm familiar with Fritz the Cat from the comic books. While I never enjoyed them, R. Crumb inspired some of my favorite comic artists and writers. Never saw the movie, but thought seeing more would reveal what the punchline of that clip is supposed to be. I have that rule you know, "don't judge things out of context."
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I might fire up the DVD just to see what the rest of the context IS. I've long forgotten.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am I might fire up the DVD just to see what the rest of the context IS. I've long forgotten.
What's also a bit disturbing is that the dialogue recording and pacing of that clip remind me of the Peanuts cartoons from the same era. lol

Almost like the same animators and recording people did both Fritz and Snoopy. :P
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

R. Crumb is a pretty interesting person. There is a documentary called “Crumb” that goes over various parts of his life. His brothers and his mother were completely insane and there is ample footage of them.

He’s an incredible pen and ink artist. TB I know you can’t see anything other than left/right black/white, but his work is more social commentary than overtly political. Neither side can claim him because he is expressing from his experience and creativity. The motivation isn’t a political cartoon - it’s just his expression. He is scathing of hippie culture and for good reason. Like a missed opportunity.

I guess I don’t see why you are trying to claim him so you can say “leftist” again. You are pretty much reaching.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

TheWhat wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:28 am
I guess I don’t see why you are trying to claim him so you can say “leftist” again. You are pretty much reaching.
I'm not claiming anything. Just that the clip was interesting.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

This is just gold. I love Crumb’s laugh and Neal Conan. I was so disappointed when NPR cancelled Talk of the Nation - huge mistake. The book of genesis.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am I might fire up the DVD just to see what the rest of the context IS. I've long forgotten.
What's also a bit disturbing is that the dialogue recording and pacing of that clip remind me of the Peanuts cartoons from the same era. lol

Almost like the same animators and recording people did both Fritz and Snoopy. :P
Could be. Ralph Bakshi worked in TV for a bit during his career. All the TV animators probably knew each other and most certainly used the same formula and cadence for creating cartoons for TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Bakshi