Almost all of the Descent "community" is a hive of toxic roaches

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Almost all of the Descent "community" is a hive of toxic roaches

Post by Burlyman »

...abrasive jerks who bully others and troll "elites" who insult people who don't agree with their nonsense. Discuss. ^_^
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Almost all of the Descent "community" is a hive of toxic roaches

Post by vision »

It's actually pretty quiet here, not sure where you got the idea this place has trolls. You're the closest thing to a troll in Descent, but you generally seem like a decent guy.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Oh good, it's Neo's bi-monthly drive-by dump. I was missing those.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Considering D3 was released like 2 decades ago and completely failed commercially it’s quite amazing this place has any activity at all. As for the wanna be Jesus freaks that were on this board; who cares? I’m not sure it’s really an accomplishment to write daily diatribes that you can basically trace word for word back to Glen Beck’s drunk ass.

Wow! Aren’t you a good, straight shootin, “honorable” American that likes his drinking water nuked so some fat cat (who doesn’t care about you) can get a bigger bonus that quarter? At least you spread the word of your mega church version of Christianity to some video game geeks that have pee stains in their Star Trek boxers. You won that battle.

👽👽👽

P.S. Neo. And those basterds that make the descent community albums keep rejecting my GarageBand beepfs with Prince like guitar riffs I make because I’m not a part of their reindeer games. Ah well, it’s good enough to make a couple two-tree bucks in an industrial orientation video for a mattress manufacturer.so stick it. :P
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I can count on one hand all the people I've seen since I joined the community who are like this outside of DescentBB's Ethics and Commentary area. And that includes some former members.

Edit: I think that statement represents politics in general. You get people who are toxic in political discussions who are otherwise very nice people everywhere. Our own congress is a prime example. I read a newspaper article a while back talking about a student who was chosen for Washington, D.C.'s senate page program. They noted McConnell and Schumer as a prime example of the fact that outside political contexts our national politicians get along fairly well.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Probably because politics by it's very nature makes everything and everyone it touches toxic. It can take very nice normal people and turn them into stark raving lunatics. But what's worse, it can take already greedy or amoral people and magnify their worst tendencies a thousand fold. I have yet to meet a politician who hasn't been corrupted in some form or fashion, no matter how honorable their intentions were when they started.

Oh, and TheWhat, I disagree with you on Descent. It may have failed commercially, but it still has a dedicated following and it personally remains one of my most favorite shooters. I even fire up D2XXL occasionally when I want to reminisce and kick robot butt. The fact that the more recent Overload, which I also enjoy, got it's funding in such a short period shows me that there is still an audience.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Oh, and TheWhat, I disagree with you on Descent. It may have failed commercially, but it still has a dedicated following and it personally remains one of my most favorite shooters. I even fire up D2XXL occasionally when I want to reminisce and kick robot butt. The fact that the more recent Overload, which I also enjoy, got it's funding in such a short period shows me that there is still an audience.
Hey, no one is making fun of descent. It’s the only game I really like - because of the flying. The 14 year old (who thinks he’s Eminem) in the house plays first person shooters and I laugh. I mean it’s cool he’s having fun with his school buddies but NO SKILLz foo. Descent is actually difficult.

Alls I meant was what you just expanded on. It must’ve been great if after 20 years people are still curious about it or the people who played. It’s strange to think the teenagers I played against in 1999 are in their mid 30’s and on their 2nd divorce.
🤪🤪🤪
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TheWhat wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 amIt’s the only game I really like - because of the flying.
LOL yeah the flying is the best. It's how I describe the game to everyone. I'm like "I've played this game for decades because you can fly around and shoot robots with lasers.What else do you need in a game?" What's even better is if you play too much you start having dreams of flying. Goddamn I love Descent.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You're not flying, you're floating on the ship's antigrav and that ship can swivel or pivot in any orientation without the pilot worrying about stalling and augering into the ground. Much more fun when you don't have to worry about that little detail, other than forgetting which way is up. :lol:
Burlyman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:04 pm ...abrasive jerks who bully others and troll "elites" who insult people who don't agree with their nonsense. Discuss. ^_^
Care to elaborate on that statement so we can all "discuss" things?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I'm still here and enjoying Tokyo Banana, Samus. I'll just keep lurking. I often wonder if our friendship could reignite.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Wow I'm surprised at the relatively positive responses I got. I thought this thread was going to be a locked flame war. :lol:

I have to wait until I can use a PC so I can respond with a multi-quote.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I know. I have no way to play video games. I have a phone and an outdated iPad mini. From time to time I do get the urge to play D3 because I love vauss so much. Just the sound. I suppose there’s a way to extract it so I can get my fix.

Ehhh. All that were left were the bots sitting in indika when I finally stopped. 🎻
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

TheWhat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 pm I know. I have no way to play video games. I have a phone and an outdated iPad mini. From time to time I do get the urge to play D3 because I love vauss so much. Just the sound. I suppose there’s a way to extract it so I can get my fix.

Ehhh. All that were left were the bots sitting in indika when I finally stopped. 🎻

My favorite is the Gauss Gun sound in D2. It's loud and beefy, like you're shooting something with a lot of mass. I even imported it into D3 and replaced the Vauss Gun sound at one time I liked it so much better. :P It is just a .wav file. But alas, I don't have D3 installed right now, so I can't get you the Vauss Gun file for your enjoyment. :P
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

What is it with Americans and Vauss? :)

Yeah it's mainly the bots now playing D3.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A bit of enlightenment:
If you are surfing around the internet and you come across an ★■◆●, that person is an ★■◆●.
But if you are surfing around the internet and almost everyone is an ★■◆●, then you're the ★■◆●.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Neo! Where you been hiding, we should talk! Hell, we should play :)

Also... Other then the E&C and Adam, I'ma go with what Krom said.

The true heart of the Descent community has always been about offline meets, LAN play and the in-person friendships it has engendered. A huge proportion of the Descent community has met and played each other in person. You not only have not, but I'm pretty sure that I remember you actively scorning the very thought of attending a LAN.

A final thought - certain of your... online antics, combined with your paper-thin skin = a bad combo.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Wow, now there's a blast from the past!
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I like cheese.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

vision wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm It's actually pretty quiet here, not sure where you got the idea this place has trolls. You're the closest thing to a troll in Descent, but you generally seem like a decent guy.
It's pretty quiet nowadays because most of the people I'm talking about quit, but it was rampant back in the day. Everyone else labeled me as a troll just so they didn't have to say their entire group of thugs and bullies were a bunch of abrasive scumbags. See my reply to Krom for a bit more perspective. :P
Tunnelcat wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:11 pm Probably because politics by it's very nature makes everything and everyone it touches toxic. It can take very nice normal people and turn them into stark raving lunatics. But what's worse, it can take already greedy or amoral people and magnify their worst tendencies a thousand fold. I have yet to meet a politician who hasn't been corrupted in some form or fashion, no matter how honorable their intentions were when they started.
I don't know if I agree that people get that bad about their political beliefs, but I think they can get pretty close. lol What about AOC, has she been corrupted? I think you're already aware of my opinion on elitist amoral people dominating the political scene, so I won't get into that.
Krom wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 pm A bit of enlightenment:
If you are surfing around the internet and you come across an ★■◆●, that person is an ★■◆●.
But if you are surfing around the internet and almost everyone is an ★■◆●, then you're the ★■◆●.
What a dumb thing to say. You're one of those people who says "everyone is saying x, therefore it must be true." Stupid, stupid, stupid. You don't really know or care about anything about me or know/care why I might think a certain way, so you just assume you and your little idiot elitist blabbermouth friends are right. Nice try with your worse-than-fortune-cookie "wisdom."
TheWhat wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:15 pm Considering D3 was released like 2 decades ago and completely failed commercially it’s quite amazing this place has any activity at all.
Amazing... or pathetic. Almost all the people who played regularly were obsessed with this game and wouldn't even admit it was dead once the activity took a nose dive.
As for the wanna be Jesus freaks that were on this board; who cares? I’m not sure it’s really an accomplishment to write daily diatribes that you can basically trace word for word back to Glen Beck’s drunk ass.
Wannabe Jesus freaks? Most of the scum on these boards were atheists which means they believed in complete foolishness. I think it's at least somewhat important to call out the popular players and forum whores on their B.S. They deserve it anyway for said "daily diatribes" in addition to other things. I'm not going to comment on Glen Beck, on the foolishness of the mainstream opinion, or on the irrelevance it has with the time that I'm talking about.
Wow! Aren’t you a good, straight shootin, “honorable” American that likes his drinking water nuked so some fat cat (who doesn’t care about you) can get a bigger bonus that quarter? At least you spread the word of your mega church version of Christianity to some video game geeks that have pee stains in their Star Trek boxers. You won that battle.

👽👽👽
I don't believe in mega-church Christianity so I won't be spreading it to said video game geeks. You are also the one who wrote daily diatribes mocking people who play this game, even those who didn't really deserve such harsh criticism (like me), and you did it in a loony way. You ranted for three years straight day in and day out in chat I guess hoping people would listen to your silly garbage. The people I made this thread about are/were self-important egotistical loser computer nerds who tried to hide that they were just a bunch of Star Trek loving video game geeks as you would say. This game also seemed to attract a lot of egotists because of its steep learning curve and high skill level required. You can see the results of that mindset in your reply about your 14-year-old snot-nosed punk.
WarAdvocat wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:28 pm Neo! Where you been hiding, we should talk! Hell, we should play :)

Also... Other then the E&C and Adam, I'ma go with what Krom said.

The true heart of the Descent community has always been about offline meets, LAN play and the in-person friendships it has engendered. A huge proportion of the Descent community has met and played each other in person. You not only have not, but I'm pretty sure that I remember you actively scorning the very thought of attending a LAN.

A final thought - certain of your... online antics, combined with your paper-thin skin = a bad combo.
Hey, Bunyip :) I never usually stick around because not very many people play anymore, and because the people who play(ed) this game have put a sour taste in my mouth and I don't really want to be around even though almost all of the jerks left. I still haven't really moved on in my mind but I keep it out of my mind and keep busy doing other things. That's interesting what you said about the D community being about LAN because when I finally went to one, people behaved decently and we all had fun playing, so I can see how people would like the people they meet there and the experience playing the game, but I still don't trust them, especially not idiots like suncho. He and I had a private talk about the supposed reason why he and many other roaches don't like me, then after agreeing to be a little more tactful, he starts insulting me and acting like it's all my fault. Stupid jerk he is like so many others.

Anyway, I've been thinking about starting up an Indika server on-demand in hopes that people play just to get some action again, but I haven't done it yet. :) You might be right about me regarding Descent, but there's definitely a toxicity to what once was the D3 community. Did I mention that Descent 1/II players are racist?
Hunter wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 am I'm still here and enjoying Tokyo Banana, Samus. I'll just keep lurking. I often wonder if our friendship could reignite.
lol... I don't know what that is. :) I don't get to see you much anymore but there's not much for us to do on the Internet anymore. When I remember, I make sure I stop by your game forums and say hi and such. :)
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Neo, don’t you sometimes feel nostalgic for the descent3 chat though?
“Hey Bob. You whurkohn hard or hardly whurkohn, Bob?”
“I remember back in 1978 with my Great American Hard Whurker Turkey Whurker Brothers instilling our great American traditional values with honor and pride.”

It was like a bunch of chatbots saying the same thing to each other all day, everyday. I’m hungry. It’s cold. It’s raining. My snotnosed kids are the greatest Americans that were ever raised with pride. I’d kick your ass because I’m from __________ (fill in the metropolitan area).

With all of the knowledge that has been discovered and yet to be discovered everything eventually devolved to area codes, my big muscles, me hard work, oogah boogah I eat meat oogah boogah. I sure miss that stimulating conversation.

I’m really happy you and your brothers won a trophy in some piece of ★■◆● beer softball league in 1981 - you guys are just like Olympic athletes.
Lol
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Tokyo Banana is a kind of soft candy. It's like a spongecake with a creamy banana filling. Very tasty.

So no Overload for you Neo? Discord is pretty active, a lot of old players lurking... not so many from D3 (a lot of D1/D2ers). It's not exactly like the unfiltered PXO days, but it's the best thing since then.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, other than gatekeep like a fat man in front of a tiny goal. On that note, all minivan drivers have a genetically driven desire to drive badly. And it's ok to cut off people in mercedes benz cars because they're the most aggressive drivers. If you're cutting them off, you don't need an electric car to have a car that makes the world a better place.

You're welcome. :E

/toxicRoach
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Burlyman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:40 pm Hey, Bunyip :) I never usually stick around because not very many people play anymore, and because the people who play(ed) this game have put a sour taste in my mouth and I don't really want to be around even though almost all of the jerks left. I still haven't really moved on in my mind but I keep it out of my mind and keep busy doing other things. That's interesting what you said about the D community being about LAN because when I finally went to one, people behaved decently and we all had fun playing, so I can see how people would like the people they meet there and the experience playing the game, but I still don't trust them, especially not idiots like suncho. He and I had a private talk about the supposed reason why he and many other roaches don't like me, then after agreeing to be a little more tactful, he starts insulting me and acting like it's all my fault. Stupid jerk he is like so many others.

Anyway, I've been thinking about starting up an Indika server on-demand in hopes that people play just to get some action again, but I haven't done it yet. :) You might be right about me regarding Descent, but there's definitely a toxicity to what once was the D3 community. Did I mention that Descent 1/II players are racist
Wait, what? When did you attend a LAN and why wasn't I told about this? I would have made it my business to be there. You holding out on me son?

I don't have d3 currently installed but I've been failing at overload a bit lately ;) Maybe I'll buy the steam D3 edition just for giggles.

Back on topic, I've always felt that your skin is way too thin. You react to friendly kidding as if it was horrible abuse, and let's face it - you pulled some seriously goofy stunts. Most people would expect to get razzed for that. Obviously you react even more poorly to outright trash talk - which means they achieve their goal. How f'd up is that? LOL! Never let them win.

I'd pm you contact deets but... apparently you've got that turned off. HMU on the other board, or something - I have some stuff to share.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Hey Neo. If you look real close you can see a group “Descent Elders” in the upper deck. They are wearing tshirts that read: “I ruined the dbb.net by using the ole guilt ridden control tactic ‘family friendly’ to crush an irreverent, entertaining message board to suit my ‘ethics’ and asked people to pay for it like a typical pan-handling Christian”

Not that I’m bitter or anything. Lol
🇺🇸
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm surprised that they were even let into the church with the "typical pan-handling Christians" part displayed on their shirts. :lol: And the only way Kanye West suddenly became a "Christian" is because he embraced that new "prosperity theology". I mean, the man loves his money, sex and fame and Christ is just an afterthought tagged on for appearances.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

When a fake and a phony come together everything is about God. All hail the mighty power of Benjamin Franklin.