Conversion Overload

Forum for the new 6dof game in development by the original makers of Descent.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Conversion Overload

Post by LightWolf »

At some point in the next couple months Revival is going to release a level editor for Overload. I want to learn the editor by converting some of your favorite Descent missions.
Post your suggestions below! :D
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Conversion Overload

Post by Alter-Fox »

Let's see you convert one of your favourites first, to make sure you can do it to our standards...
If you want to be our servant, you need to show us you're worth something. ;) :P
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I think I know one.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Keg Party ;)

I think it might be worth making sure that there isn't two people converting the same level at the same time.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeh I think Duper wants to do that one. He has mentioned it a couple times on the discord.
Speaking of, I'm surprised I haven't seen you too much on the Overload discord my diamondy friend...
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I don't go on Discord either, mostly hanging out on the Steam forums! Playing the crap out of the game though - and loving it too :D
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I personally hang out on the dedicated Overload forums.

I was thinking about doing Vignettes.

Don't worry, not all at once. I was thinking about doing the first 5 levels, checking the quality with the community, then doing the other 22.
Level 17's going to be fun though...
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I have a provisional release of a DLE update (1.12.31) that has an Overload export in the File->Convert menu. It can't edit Overload levels; it's just a one-way export into a format the Overload editor can use (once it's released, which should be soon; I was working off a pre-release version). Level shell geometry and texture alignment (UV co-ordinates) is preserved but you'd need to apply new textures, replace doors, and so on. Since Overload is stylistically pretty different you'd probably have to do that anyway - the intent of this exporter is mainly to save time and sanity. Manually copying geometry is very tedious.

And it potentially helps with any types of geometry you find easier to build in DLE or Devil than the Overload editor. Despite its advantages there are a few things it's not as good at, at least for now.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vktb9jj7btp5 ... 31.7z?dl=0
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

:o
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Makes me wish I had Karx's jawdrop emote.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

You mean this one?
:jawdrop:
#AllLivesMatter
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The Overload editor was officially released today: http://media.revivalprod.com/OverloadLe ... 8.2018.zip
It should be available via Steam, but issues happened, and that part will have to be fixed later. The Discord channel (https://discord.gg/QxP3kG) is very useful for finding docs/advice on how to use it.

DLE 1.12.31 was also officially released today: http://www.descent2.de/dle-intro.html
Details of what changed are in the change log (including .30 and .31, it's quite a lot), but it includes the Overload exporter.
pdxgeek
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by pdxgeek »

Oh, without a doubt pulling teeth, minus the secret room though that everyone shot guided missiles out of. Well actually, the maps will only be usable in challenge mode, not multiplayer. I get that choice based on ranking, but we could of at least been able to play private matches on the maps which doesn't score any ranking points. Hmm, for CM only maps Minerva (I know, I know) might be interesting. I might have to go check some others out to add to the list. There is a map I am thinking about that we used to play just for shi*ts and giggles and I can't remember the name of it. It basically a large square that had entry points on either side of the parallel walls. If you went through the doors, you had a big water fall that had the reactor in a secret are under the waerfall in the middle. The map also had two corridors that went across the same parallel walls and there was a small fighting area there and that area had two doors that opened to an energy charging area on one side and I cant remember what was on the other. The level had some earthshakers in it and because of the weapon duplication issues in the D2 code by the end it was just people spamming earthshakers if they werent disabled in the settings. This sound familiar to anyone?

Currently none of the challenge mode or multiplayer maps have doors in them. I don't know if this is a requirement, but for multiplayer at least, I miss ambushing folks at door ways if you spotted them heading towards that area. It also gave you a reason to shoot flares, though the doors in Overload open with the need to shoot them and open based on proximity in the single player campaign.

pdxgeek
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I second Keg Party
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Why go after dated designs and build new maps and designs centered around the new gameplay mechanics and physics?
And remaking all of Vignettes? Oof...that'll be a rough time. Good luck with it though.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

That project has gone back-burner, but I might revisit it sometime within the next decade.
#AllLivesMatter
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

^ Called it. :P
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Hey, I still have just under a decade!
#AllLivesMatter